CCH Pounder in Avatar

Earthnut

Just a note to let you know that CCH Pounder, who appeared in 5 episodes of Millennium as the group's pathologist, Cheryl Andrews, is in the cast of James Cameron's masterpiece, "Avatar." The movie also stars Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Joel Moore and Giovanni Ribisi, to name a few.

"In the future, Jake, a paraplegic war veteran, is brought to another planet, Pandora, which is inhabited by the Na'vi, a humanoid race with their own language and culture. Those from Earth find themselves at odds with each other and the local culture.

When his brother is killed in battle, paraplegic Marine Jake Sully decides to take his place in a mission on the distant world of Pandora. There he learns of greedy corporate figurehead Parker Selfridge's intentions of driving off the native humanoid "Na'vi" in order to mine for the precious material scattered throughout their rich woodland. In exchange for the spinal surgery that will fix his legs, Jake gathers intel for the cooperating military unit spearheaded by gung-ho Colonel Quaritch, while simultaneously attempting to infiltrate the Na'vi people with the use of an "avatar" identity. While Jake begins to bond with the native tribe and quickly falls in love with the beautiful alien Neytiri, the restless Colonel moves forward with his ruthless extermination tactics, forcing the soldier to take a stand - and fight back in an epic battle for the fate of Pandora."

CCH Pounder's character is Mo'at, the mother of Neytiri and also the spiritual leader of Omaticaya clan of Pandora. She interprets the will of Eywa the mother of life.

I personally feel, after seeing this movie in 3-D, that James Cameron out-did himself. It's absolutely his best work ever, and I sooooooooooo look forward to seeing it again. Awesome movie, a definite masterpiece.

Edited by ethsnafu
Spoiler Box Added
  • Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Hi guys,

I've added a spoiler box to the above post and whilst it didn't give anything of substance away, and was merely a premise of the film, I thought it might be appropriate.

That said, I had no idea that CCH was in this film. The woman certainly has a career to be proud of, she's popping up all over the place at the moment. I had hoped we might get a little cameo from Lance given that he is a friend of Cameron's but enough people have seen it now that if that were the case I guess we would have heard.

I still have to see this movie (things have been a little hectic of late) although I confess to being underwhelmed bu the alien CGI designs. I don't know why but I find them incredibly comedic, somewhat Disney if you will, but in Cameron we trust and I know there reviews have been stellar. Looking forward to it.

Eth

• Like 1

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest RodimusBen

Hi guys,

I've added a spoiler box to the above post and whilst it didn't give anything of substance away, and was merely a premise of the film, I thought it might be appropriate.

That said, I had no idea that CCH was in this film. The woman certainly has a career to be proud of, she's popping up all over the place at the moment. I had hoped we might get a little cameo from Lance given that he is a friend of Cameron's but enough people have seen it now that if that were the case I guess we would have heard.

I still have to see this movie (things have been a little hectic of late) although I confess to being underwhelmed bu the alien CGI designs. I don't know why but I find them incredibly comedic, somewhat Disney if you will, but in Cameron we trust and I know there reviews have been stellar. Looking forward to it.

Eth

The aliens in Avatar are a strange phenomenon in that, until you see them in full motion and in 3-D on the big screen, you won't appreciate just how amazing they are. We are so used to seeing still CG images rendered with stunning precision now that just some screencaps, or even a TV-sized preview of the Na'vi do not prepare you for how impressive they look in full motion.

I'm immensely gratified to see that once again people have underestimated Cameron; after all of the doomsday predictions about Avatar it is now going to become the highest grossing film in the history of the medium. Granted, with the increased price of 3-D and the IMAX showings, I think that should come with a little asterisk, but there's no denying that the world has once again been successfully swept away by Cameron's spell.

While I don't agree that it's his best work (it's really hard for me to choose, but I would probably make an argument for Terminator 2), it's certainly a enjoyable film and an incredible artistic and technical achievement. Eth, please make sure you do not pass up the opportunity to see it in its full glory on a big screen in 3-D.

Oh yeah, and for the record, for me, CCH will always be "Bertha" from Robocop 3." :biggrin:

Edited by RodimusBen

Guest WaveCrest

I've got no interest in seeing Avatar at all. I saw the trailer a couple of times a few months ago but was not impressed by the CGI etc.

• Like 1

Oh I'm probably going to see it but I agree with above, I think the CGI for the Navi look akin to a Smurf-Fraggle-Dark-Crystal hybrid but I'm prepared to offset my lack of appreciation for the design for what seems to be a truly amazing film that is currently being heralded as a masterpiece. I have read online that some have forgone the opportunity to see the film purely because the find the CGI laughable and I think that's a shame. The proof of the pudding is in the eating after all.

Oh and it's 3D and I'm firmly buying in to the trend at present, so much so that I would endure even the worst movie just to partake of this current novelty.

Eth

• Like 1

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest WaveCrest

I just don't like the sound of the story or the look of the film. I've liked some of James Cameron's work in the past, but find it annoying in that it's like "you must see this film" and that if you don't go and see it you're not being hip, cool, trendy and part of society today (I don't like the whole thing with people getting their 15 minutes of fame and the whole reality TV culture. It just feels cheap). I must be from another planet, because I don't think the film looks that amazing to be honest. Plus the cinema experience isn't enjoyable because you have prats sitting in the screening room talking through the film (and it's not just the kids and teenagers, it's the adults as well). It also feels like with these kinds of films, that with all the hype, advertisements etc. that go with them, you must like these kinds of films and if you don't your opinion isn't valid. I very much liked The Terminator and T2 and kind of liked Titanic. But I didn't think that was a masterpiece. Avatar just looks and feels dated and boring. It's very rare now I go and see a blockbuster at the cinema. I go and see more low budget and indie films.