The Nightmare on Elm Street movies

Guest WaveCrest

Guest WaveCrest

It's under three months now till the US cinema release of the remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street. Based on the trailer it could be a decent Michael Bay remake, and I thought that when the trailer for Friday the 13th (2009) was available to view on the web, and that ended up being an awful reimagining of the first three Friday the 13th movies!

A trailer is available to view on the web, along with a teaser trailer for a documentary about the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WaveCrest

What are people's favourite Nightmare on Elm Street movies, have you seen any of Freddy's Nightmares, and what are your thoughts on the upcoming Elm Street remake?

Guest Black's Babe

The 1st three were good, with Dream Warriors being the best IMHO.

plus I liked what Craven did with New Nightmare, solid contirbtuion to the franchise.

The other films blew chunks, remake doesn't look good either.

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Oh I really liked the first one and New Nightmare and i have high hopes for the remake coming out soon. ghostface.gif and yes I was just watching Freddy's Nightmares on the chiller channel the other day. makingeyes.gif

Laura :)

Hi Guys,

I loved the original franchise. I think it's impossible to be my age and not be aware of the films. I still remember the hubbub in the playground about 'this man who killed you in your sleep' and dozens of kids, myself included, trying to sneak a look at their parent's VHS of this. I can't recall if A Nightmare On Elm Street or The Howling was the first horror film I saw.

Nice to see Dream Warriors get a mention, I thought that was a superb film. A sensational mix of horror and fantasy and one I always try to catch if it is on. I will definitely see the remake but with a certain amount of trepidation. Let's face it nothing that has be remade thus far as rivalled the original visions of the films so I'm hoping this is the one to break the mold.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest Black's Babe

Jackie Earle Haley was a good choice to play Kruger, that's the only positive thing about this project.

Rest of the casting is "CW 101" , plus a N00B has been chosen to direct this remake.

Samuel Bayer is an great video director, but I don't sense the 2nd coming of David Fincher.

Edited by Black's Babe

The first one is always a classic, haven't seen it for ages. And I've always been waiting for a better collection on DVD for the films.

I remember the second one breaking certain rules and being quite predictable near the end. Not bad but not great.

The third one is great, I think it's the best of them all, personally. I think I've seen that one more than the others.

And I haven't seen 4 or 5. Just Freddy's Dead and I hardly remember it outside that all cities had an Elm Street and the stoner's video game. Now you're playing with power!

And I agree, New Nightmare was a very nice film, let down by the by-the-numbers ending, otherwise a good effort.

I would like to see the 4th as Renny Harlin has a soft spot in my heart (even though I know to some extent his output hasn't been stellar lately, plus he's always a real treat to hear on his commentaries.

I'm not depressed, just quiet.

Jósef's Visual Musings:

http://cheersfromiceland.blogspot.com/

Now am I right in thinking that second entry of the franchise secured a bizarre reputation as having a really overt homosexuality sub-plot? I'm sure I've seen articles outlining the alleged subtext even though the writer strongly denied that this was either intended or implied. Oddly enough I nipped away from writing this to have a look and despite constant denials to this effect for years, it seems that Robert Englund confirmed the sub-plot existed in an interview with Attitude Magazine.

In a February interview with Attitude magazine, Robert Englund commented on this when asked whether he was aware about the camp, gay appeal of the series. He replied: "... the second Nightmare on Elm Street is obviously intended as a bisexual themed film. It was early 80s, pre-AIDS paranoia. Jesse's wrestling with whether to come out or not and his own sexual desires was manifested by Freddy. His friend is the object of his affection. That's all there in that film. We did it subtly but the casting of Mark Patton was intentional too, because Mark was out and had done Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean".

I can also remember my brother and I renting A Nightmare on Elm Street 6 and eagerly awaiting the much talked about 3D ending. I can remember the two of us donning our glasses for the final ten minutes of the film (which was the only bit in 3D) and both of us coming away incredibly disappointed not only by the poor 3D effects but by an even poorer ending (as it was then) to the series.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest Black's Babe

Yes N0ES 2 was quite homo-erotic at times.

Should've just had the character be openly gay(like the actor), but this was back in the 80's.

Along with Jessie being one of the most WIMPY and annoying Protagonists in horror cinema.

God I HATED that dude, with the heat of a billion suns.

With that said, it's still is one of the better sequels in the franchise IMHO.

Edited by Black's Babe

Guest WaveCrest

Blimey, plenty of replies above! :thumbsup:

I remember seeing in a local video shop back in the mid to late 80's a poster advertising forthcoming VHS rental releases. It had on the poster Freddy, Jason and another horror character. And I think the Elm Street movies were released on VHS by CBS FOX. Always remember seeing their logo in the bottom left or right-hand corner of the front cover. I watched parts 4-6 on VHS definitely, and found it hard to see what was going on because the picture seemed so dark. I don't think there were any 3-D glasses available with Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (aka A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 6). I didn't think the 3-D scenes in 2-D were that impressive. Friday the 13th Part III is more impressive.