The Nightmare on Elm Street movies

Guest WaveCrest

Guest Coughcool

I think this remake is going to stink. I have no plans of watching it. If the reviews are good. I might change my mind.

Really what gives you that idea? I do hope you're wrong but I have to confess that every remake I have ever seen thus far has stunk so based on those the odds aren't really in its favour. What's made me reserve judgement is that a number of horror aficionados I know have not come down on this like a ton of bricks as they have in the instance of every other remake. I think age is the devil in the detail here. When you view the reception to Rob Zombie's Halloween films, those who were schooled in the finer arts of the franchise from the likes of John Carpenter just cannot see the need for a remake or appreciate it. Those who were introduced to Michael Myers through that film tend to give positive feedback.

One thing I think is a make-or-break decision is it seems to me they are playing Krueger much like The Shape in that they have cut back on the wise-cracks and the one-liners for a more silent-menace approach. I might be wrong about that but it's the feeling I get and that could win it or lose it for me.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

The Hills Have Eyes and Dawn of the Dead remakes were quite good. The rest I haven't seen or don't want to see because I know they stink.

He didn't crack many jokes in the original, I bought it a while ago, and watched it the other day. And my mom happened to come home and saw the latter half of the film.

She said and I quote, although it might be lost in translation: "What is this filth?" when the blood fountain spewed from Johnny Depp's bed. She was not amused. I was amazed that they held that shot for so long, when I was watching it now. Not that it is very graphic, just fake blood, lots of it. ;)

And what troubled me more, was when Freddy got burned...that poor stuntman. It was on-screen for a long time, I felt...I hope he was okay.

Edited by ty7du

I'm not depressed, just quiet.

Jósef's Visual Musings:

http://cheersfromiceland.blogspot.com/

Guest WaveCrest

The reason why I haven't yet bought the 1984 original on DVD is because the Region 2 DVD special edition which came out a couple of years ago was cut again, and there were audio problem (this I found out on a DVD films discussion forum). It was either that scene with Johnny Depp, or another scene where a female character was killed off, she was the ceiling and there was all this blood...which was cut.

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Im going to the midnight premiere of this movie next week. :) Im hopeful for this movie from seeing the previews and reading about it but i like you Eth have found that all remakes have been junk except for The Last House on the Left, which i really liked. :) I will give it a chance! thumbsup.gif

Laura :)

Guest WaveCrest

The only film I've seen out of the US horror remakes of recent years is RZ's Halloween, and I wasn't a big fan of it. I wasn't that bothered in seeing the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, nor the more recent Last House on the Left remake.

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

The only film I've seen out of the US horror remakes of recent years is RZ's Halloween, and I wasn't a big fan of it. I wasn't that bothered in seeing the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, nor the more recent Last House on the Left remake.

I gave RZ Halloween a second chance and tried not to compare it and i liked it. I didn't however like the second one. and you should check out LHOTL Richard, i think it is the best remake so far of all the remakes out there. :)

Laura :)

LHOTL is one of the better ones Laura I agree and Halloween II was a misfire. Releasing it in the summer didn't help the film at all but it did deserve the panning it got unfortunately.

I don't mind underrated gems or niche films being remade as there's every chance a whole new audience could discover films that they would otherwise have never heard of (My Bloody Valentine is a good example of this, not a great many people have seen the original) but when it comes to classics like Halloween they are better left alone methinks.

Eth

If you head on over here you can see the motion poster that has been released to promote the A Nightmare on Elm Street. Warning: it will make you jump (or at least it did me.) :unsure:

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest WaveCrest

What was odd about the cinema release of RZ's Halloween, was that it came out in US cinemas in August BUT over here it was released at the right time (around Halloween). RZ's Halloween II though was also released in the summer, the same as the US.

This Nightmare on Elm Street remake poster, it's not like one of those pictures on your computer screen you stare at, which then jumps out at you is it?