The Nightmare on Elm Street movies

Guest WaveCrest

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Thansk for this Richard. :) Found it on my Netflix. :) Not streaming but available to rent. comes out on the 18th. :)

Laura :)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard, you should just import a R1 DVD, since the UK DVD are always cut. If you're looking for R2 DVDs, you should maybe track down Scandinavian DVDs since they aren't cut.

But for the most part, it's better in most cases to go with the country of origin, picture quality is often better (like with the Simpsons and King of the Hill, but for those I did go the R2 way, even though they aren't as sharp as their R1 counterparts).

I got really burned by buying The Shield when I saw one episode of Season 5 was cut by 20 minutes because that's the version they showed in the UK, I don't mind minor cuts. But this is outrageous. So, that's the reason I chugged my 4 seasons of The Shield I had bought (and I liked the packaging, and the fact that even the commentaries were subtitled and the extras as well, if my memory is correct). But I got the R1 Complete Series to make up for that, although it's a shame to see how they can't try to make it look the same, subtitles, audio and recaps vary from season to season...

Anyway, I got a 2 disc infinifilm version of A Nightmare on Elm Street rather cheap on deepdiscount...don't know if it's still around 10 bucks or not...but it's a good edition of the film.

Good video and audio, even has the original mono which is nice. I hate it when they leave the original sound just to have the tricked out versions, which is some cases aren't all that great or have new sound elements, I like options and DVD should be about that. Plus commentary and a 50 min documentary/making of plus other stuff...haven't watched the extras yet. But it's a good package.

I'm not depressed, just quiet.

Jósef's Visual Musings:

http://cheersfromiceland.blogspot.com/

Guest WaveCrest

You're welcome Laura. :smile:

Were the Region 2 discs of Halloween: 25 Years of Terror and His Name Was Jason cut Josef? I've got them on Region 1 but they are available on Region 2 as well now.

I haven't bought the original Nightmare on Elm Street film on DVD as it hasn't been uncut on Region 2. Plus I had read comments on a DVD forum in the past that there was a problem with the audio, along with it being cut.

• 1 month later...

I saw the A Nightmare on Elm Street 2010 remake last week, and it was just...meh. Not horrible...not great. I do think they had the best of intentions, I do appreciate that they tried to make it a more gritty Nightmare as the shift in tone of Kruger. But still, Freddy wasn't scary or chilling to me, and he looks strange...silly even in most shots. The production design is good but the dream transitions didn't work for the most part for me. I did like the technical aspect of it, getting the medical implications of not sleeping, I thought that was effective and there were some things that were well done, like that scene in the drug store. The movie break came at an odd time in the movie, just as we are getting to that flashback scene. The film wasn't particularly gory to me, I think the original is still gorier...in a sense.

This could have been something decent, but it's far from awful and it's good that it's not a direct retread of the original. And I never found Freddy likable in the original, I could never root for him there (he was a menace to fear in that one). I think it shifted in tone when the third installment came around, then you could root for him.

I'm not depressed, just quiet.

Jósef's Visual Musings:

http://cheersfromiceland.blogspot.com/