How Much Luck Have You Had Showing Mlm To Others?

Rate this topic

Guest MyDarkSide

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

I have enjoyed sucess with various age groups. In general I find that if people like more straight ahead sci-fi (Stargate, The X-Files, Babylon 5) then they are actually less likely to give it a chance. To them it is (or seems like it will be), dark, depressing and boring. Frank Black is a great character but some people just don't an old, depressed man for their hero. The strange thing is, if you can actually get them to watch it then they usually end up liking it anyway! I also find that it pays to choose your episodes very carefully indeed.

Some episodes that tend to catch the sci-fi crowd are:

Owls/Roosters.

Because of its obvious comparisons with Indiana Jones I have had much sucess with these two (most sci-fi fans love Indy). Simply invite your mates round to watch some Indy DVDs and then next day put these episodes on. It's a very sneaky and underhanded tactic but it works, I've found.

The Mikado.

The silly intro with the sleazy teens actually helps hold them in most cases long enough to be gripped. I find it safer to leave the tape at a part showing Avatar in his robe in a 'oh, I haven't rewound it' kind of way. They see the robe, think 'hey. who's that?' and then I rewind it. Hasn't failed yet.

If they like regular cope shows like Frost, Morse or the American equivalents of investigative cope shows, then episodes featuring Bletcher and Giebelhaus tend to go down well. This category also respond well to episodes focuing more heavily on Frank because many cop shows have older characters instead of just fresh, young faces all the time. Episodes that do well (or did well for me) were:

Dead Letters.

Most people love the character of James and find this episode very clever. I've found that fans of cop shows really get behind James and his 'punnel the evil psycho for all the miserable things he's done' attitude. Perhaps not the message the episode intends but it goes down well.

Broken World.

Don't ask me why but try it. I have no great repulsion towards this episode but it isn't exactly great. Cop fans though, it seems can't get enough of this episode. Maybe it's a freak result but everyone in this category I have shown it to has really liked it.

Paper Dove.

Of course. The familiar domestic crime angle and the wonderful performance from Dion gets cop drama fans every time.

I have had next to no luck drawing in cop show (British or American) fans to Season 2 really. The only one that they consistently like is 'The Mikado.'

Some useful episodes to pull in the 'neutral' punter. I.e someone you can't classify as being either a sci-fi or cop show fan include:

Powers. Principalities...

The problem is that you spoil the big surprise but I guess if it they won't watch any other way... Just put it on and let it run whilst you are talking. They'll start paying attention when the lighting bolt gets thrown. It draws them in because they probably were not expecting supernatural events. Also, the episode is purely shot in daylight (well 99% of the time anyway) and Millennium is always criticised for being a show where 'it always rains or it's night time'. This never applies here really and I think that really helps dispel the negative associations long enough for them to get into it.

The Mikado (again), Wide Open, etc.

Any episode where the baddie is a real villain that they can get riled at. If they want him to be caught, it involved them and they want to watch it to the end. Pick carefully to avoid the ones with slack pace (Kingdom Come, 522666 whilst worthy tend to lose people before the end if you're not careful).

DON'T SHOW.

For various reasons, these episodes go down like a ton of bricks. Don't show them to people who you are trying to get to like MLM.

The Beginning and the End/ Beware of the Dog/Bardo Thodol etc.

Not unless they a) have seen at least some other mytharc episodes or b) are very, very clever and can pick up the sumbolism first time when they were not expecting anything of the sort. Most people spend a while wondering what is happenning (B+TE is a part two after all) and then just sit dumbly smiling at the humourous parts and generally not comprehending. Be prepared to explain carefully what is happenning or they'll leave MLM very confused and convinced of how pointless it is.

Had my DirecTV installer at the house last week, installing my new TIVO DVR, when he noticed my Millennium box set on top of the entertainment center.

"Oh, you like Millennium?"

"Yeah, are you into it too?"

"Yeah, it was really different from anything else on TV. Didn't really enjoy season three that much, but the first two were just awesome."

Then we got into a small discussion of how different the three seasons were. I also told him to go get the box set when he gets the chance.

Nice to know there's a few more weirdos like me in this Godforsaken area where I live. :eyes: