The Benny Hill Show

Guest WaveCrest

Guest WaveCrest

I remember in a chat recently Laura you were saying you loved watching Benny Hill. Did you know you can buy the complete series on Region 1? In the UK Network DVD have got as far as the 1981 shows. On Region 1 in the US several boxsets covering the show's 20 year run and various eras have been released.

In 1974 a film called The Best of Benny Hill was released, made from compiled clips from the show from 1969 to 1973 or 1974. The print isn't very sharp and the picture quality is very soft in parts. But when I bought the first two series and started watching those I was amazed by the remastered print/picture quality of the shows (around 50-52 minutes long. You wouldn't get an hour long show these days on ITV, Channel 4 and Five being that long when you take away the ads!).

My favourite sketch is probably the "Cracked Grammophone, Cruise Ship" one, from 1971 or 1972 (need to re-check the chapter names on the DVD sleeve). :laugh:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SpooktalkGiGi
makingeyes.gif Thank you Richard for letting me know. :) I will have to check that out and see if i can get it. :) I loved Benny Hill, he was a funny dirty old man.. lol Thanks for starting this topic too.

Absolutely hysterical show, I recommend it highly. Now that this show has been brought up, I will probably have to get a copy of the series myself. I do have "The Best of Benny Hill," and love it.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Guest WaveCrest

He was called a dirty old man, and yet the jokes were at his expense a lot of the time.

Another of my favourite sketches, and also in the Best of Benny Hill compilation, is the sketch where Henry is interviewing an old woman (Benny in drag). There's a satellite delay and Benny is answering the previous question because of the delay.

In the early series Benny Hill did a set of bloopers, but they were deliberately filmed bloopers. One of my favourites is for the mashed potato food Spuddo.

I have 'Benny Hill: the naughty years'[complete and unadulterated] 1969-1971. never watched them cause I put them 'in a safe place' that I finally found. Can't to watch them and laugh myself silly :thumbsup:

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

Benny was a card wasn't he? Very much a product of his time and a rather eccentric man to boot. I was fascinated to learn that he didn't use bank accounts to store his money and he would wander around with carrier bags loaded with notes causing concern amongst his friends. In his home, the walls were festooned with cheques that he had never cashed for work that he had completed and his furniture was a mish-mash off odds and sods that he had bought from thrift stores.

Whilst I enjoyed his work I don't consider him in the same league as his contemporaries such as Hancock, Williams, Howerd and so on although few people know that the famous 'The Breakfast' sketch as performed by Morecambe and Wise was pre-dated by Benny who did a similar 'cooking to the beat of the music sketch' some years earlier and, to my mind, better.

Benny Hill, Hylda Baker, Jimmy Jewel, Stanley Baxter, Dick Emery, Irene Handl, The Carry On Team (I could go on): true stars of British comedy the like of which we will not see again I'm afraid.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Elders (Admins)

This is such a trip down memory lane. So much of that humour was the innocent-naughty kind, laughing at the situations rather than the people.

And, Eth, you've solved a puzzle I've had since reading this thread yesterday. The comedian's name that I couldn't remember was Dick Emery - "ooh, you are awful."

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Guest WaveCrest

Benny Hill will always be one of my favourite comedians, mainly for his work between 1969 and the mid 70's.

Dick Emery was another good comedian.

Well I had a little look through Youtube in the hopes of finding some 'classic' Benny Hill moments but couldn't find I wanted but I did manage to turn up a few sketches I remember from my youth the represent that wonderful bygone age of British humour. My brother is a huge fan of The Two Ronnies and aside from "The Phantom Raspberry Blower" and "The Worm That Turned" and, of course, the indomitable "Four Candles" sketches I always recall their musical numbers which were a real highlight of the show for me. The Aldershop Brass Ensemble is a real favourite of mine purely because I was 'brass-bander' in my youth and because it's so well done. I read somewhere that the cost of the rehearsal time, the orchestration of the number and the hire of the band would have cost the Beeb in excess of £50000. I have no idea if that's true but those were the days when the Beeb had not spread itself so thin that it could inject vast sums of money into prime-time TV.

The Aldershot Brass Ensemble

Next up is Les Dawson and Roy Barraclough as Cissy and Ada. No explanation needed, sheer genius.

Cissy and Ada at The Doctors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVLtJxBqtSA&feature=related

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png