Dvd Bellyaches

Rate this topic

Guest ottavia242

Guest ottavia242

Ok, if anyone remembers me, it might be for knowing little about technology. I bought a dvd player right after I pre-ordered MM. Yup, I got a new tv, too, because I sure wasn't to watch MM on a 9" screen! I used the new player only once before I got the MM set on Wednesday. It worked fine.

Of the 6 discs in the set, I cannot play the 3rd epidoses on the first and second disc. ( dead letters and blood relatives )

Assuming all members know much more than I about dvd players and discs and how they might be faulty....what would you say?

I looked at the discs, which obviously look fine---they are new! The player is brand new, too, so hm....can anyone help with any advice in my situation! Anything I can do before I start crying and take the player back?

Of course, I have many other episodes to watch, in the meantime....

:cry: please help me if you can!

Thank you tons.

Sage

What type of DVD player do you have? How much did it cost? If it is a very cheap DVD player, it might be one of those DVD players that have certain issues with certain DVDs. You can always check your DVD player brand and model type for reports on it at dvdrhelp.com or vcdhelp.com

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

Guest se7en

....yeah, if it's a no-name brand like, say, "UNCLE BEAVIS ELECTRONICS,INC." then that could very well be the problem. i'm not saying it couldn't be the discs but quality control, even compared to just a few years ago, is VERY strict and effective so it's doubtfull it's the discs, IMHO.

....if you take it back trust me when i say that you CANNOT go wrong these any model/price-range of these 4 brands- "PANASONIC" - "SONY" - "JVC" - "PIONEER". I'VE SEEN SONY'S AND PANASONICS-(my brand of choice)- FOR $49-$59.

---"in general" stay away from "LG" - "GO-VIDEO" - "RCA" and a few others that slip my mind! -(A LOT OF THESE BRAND AND SOME NO-NAME ONES HAVE SERIOUS HEAT-BUILDUP PROBLEMS........"STILL"!

....GOOD LUCK!

Guest ottavia242

It's a Memorex and was rather cheap. I learned my lesson and thank you both!

I will check out those sights and pick out a new one to buy. :bigsmile:

Sage

Guest ender.wiggin

There is nothing wrong with RCA DVD players, I had mine for three years and it played everything I fed it (DVDs, VCDS, SVCDs, MP3s) just fine. Now I have a Sony DVD unit which I am even more happy with (progressive scan!). The important thing to consider is which model are you buying; is it the cheapest one they sell or one that is middle to high-end? Spending more for a top-of-line RCA can make a big difference.

Regardless, definitely box up the player, find your receipt and head back to the place of purchase and demand an exchange but perhaps you can just try running the 3rd episodes on the same model DVD player (in the store) before you buy another make and model for more money. A replacement may just do the trick.

Guest se7en
There is nothing wrong with RCA DVD players, I had mine for three years and it played everything I fed it (DVDs, VCDS, SVCDs, MP3s) just fine. Now I have a Sony DVD unit which I am even more happy with (progressive scan!). The important thing to consider is which model are you buying; is it the cheapest one they sell or one that is middle to high-end? Spending more for a top-of-line RCA can make a big difference.

Regardless, definitely box up the player, find your receipt and head back to the place of purchase and demand an exchange but perhaps you can just try running the 3rd episodes on the same model DVD player (in the store) before you buy another make and model for more money. A replacement may just do the trick.

.....hey, i'm not saying you can't buy a peice of electronics gear from RCA, or any other repair prone company, and not have it be the best peice of gear you have ever owned. But that doesn't change the fact that out of all electronics companies RCA has THE worst record in the area of repair prone goods, with all TV's and all DVD-players leading the pack. the sad truth of the matter is that when anyone buys RCA the moment they walk out the door they are 7X more likely to have need of repairs, within 1-year, than other brands.-(see almost any issue of "Consumer Reports" magazine or thier website. they are an AD-free/CORPORATION-free publication. they don't take a dime from any company and they have no affiliations with any company. been that way since the beginning, i think since 1937.)

...unfortunately, RCA, and most of the other companies listed, also charge more for repairs than most other major companies.

...i truly have nothing against RCA or the other companies. hell, my grandfather had an RCA console TV that lasted him 21-years. but facts are facts and why shouldn't more people know a companie's respective track record on reliability and repairs just because they don't, or can't, get "Consumer Reports?"

...for myself it's just too damned expensive not to be informed as best i can because i am a gear-hound.

~PEACE,

se7en :ouro:

• Elders (Admins)

Just to add to the soup, Sony's are a big no go if you want to make them Multi-Region with a DVD Hack. They don't support it. I did a friends by buying a specific model of All4One Remote Control and programing it with the factory engineers codes (in the factory they set the region code with an engineers remote control handeset, not the one that come with the actual DVD Player.) Great picture quality though in RGB mode!

Gra.

• Elders (Admins)

Just to add once again, I had similar trouble on my Pioneer DVD-Rom 107 drive with those same episodes. Ejecting and reinserting fixed the problem. Did it on PowerDVD and WinDVD.

the disks themselves might be bad- if the other eps played properly, then just find the box & reciept and go back to the store and say, the others worked ok, these two don't and I would like to do an even exchange.

I had a 3 disk set from microsoft and two of the disks would not upload and I took them, and my laptop into the store, popped them in and let them see the errors. no problem about a replacement.

kath

Guest ottavia242

I have a week left to return to player...I am going to buy something better tomorrow after returning and see what happens...if I have the same problem, I will contact amazon. com and see if I can get a replacement set. I read some pretty lousy info on my player on those sights that voidprime suggested.

Interesting to hear that someone had a problem with those same episodes, though...hmmm.. I tried opening and closing, and trying all the discs over and over...the first two don't play those 3rd eps. ggrrrrrr..

Thank you, everyone, for helping out! As for comparing brands, one's trash is another's treasure. I have a 75% failure rate with my laptop brand, but they boast a 1% failure rate in the US. (Guess I am that one %, along with my aunt.)

I cannot begin to explain how wonderful it is to watch these discs. I did find one ep. that I had not ever seen (Thin White Line) and cannot wait to see them all over and over and over again. This is the best present I bought for myself in a long time, whether or not it throws some problems at me.

--Sage