The Colbys, Dallas, Dynasty, Falcon Crest and Knots Landing

Guest WaveCrest

Guest WaveCrest

Out of the US night-time soap opera dramas/dramas from the late 1970's to the 1990's my favorite was Knots Landing, which I think is more a drama than soap opera drama. It had some soapy moments and storylines which were glitzy, but I thought it was a realistic drama series with better writing and acting than the soap opera which it spun off from, Dallas.

Falcon Crest, out of the five main night-time soap opera/dramas from the 1980's, is my 4th or 5th favourite I think. The seventh season is currently airing on CBS Drama in the UK.

I remember fondly watching Dynasty and The Colbys (airing every couple of weeks) on Friday nights around the mid to late 80's. The Colbys was a big flop (I think it's biggest ratings were for the series finale, which had the infamous Fallon UFO storyline) but it had a big cast of stars, including Charlton Heston, Ricardo Montalban and Barbara Stanwyck. Below is the main cast title sequence for one of the first season episodes of The Colbys, in which John Forsythe and Diahann Carroll crossovered from Dynasty (source: YouTube.com):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUo_fDtezV4

I read this observation on a TV forum on the web some time ago, and on listening to the opening notes of the theme tune I have to agree. Does anyone else think the start of the theme tune sounds like the Superman film theme?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Out of the US night-time soap opera dramas/dramas from the late 1970's to the 1990's my favorite was Knots Landing, which I think is more a drama than soap opera drama. It had some soapy moments and storylines which were glitzy, but I thought it was a realistic drama series with better writing and acting than the soap opera which it spun off from, Dallas.

Falcon Crest, out of the five main night-time soap opera/dramas from the 1980's, is my 4th or 5th favourite I think. The seventh season is currently airing on CBS Drama in the UK.

I remember fondly watching Dynasty and The Colbys (airing every couple of weeks) on Friday nights around the mid to late 80's. The Colbys was a big flop (I think it's biggest ratings were for the series finale, which had the infamous Fallon UFO storyline) but it had a big cast of stars, including Charlton Heston, Ricardo Montalban and Barbara Stanwyck. Below is the main cast title sequence for one of the first season episodes of The Colbys, in which John Forsythe and Diahann Carroll crossovered from Dynasty (source: YouTube.com):

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=oUo_fDtezV4

I read this observation on a TV forum on the web some time ago, and on listening to the opening notes of the theme tune I have to agree. Does anyone else think the start of the theme tune sounds like the Superman film theme?

LOL Yes Richard it does sound like the Superman music. Oh my mom and I use to watch all these shows. I loved them all. I think my favorite was Falcon Crest and Knots Landing. I remember when the big Who Shot JR? thing was popular on Dallas, i think i even had the tshirt.. lol Oh yeah it was the Colbys, i dont know why I was thinking The Carringtons lol. I liked the Colbys. makingeyes.gif

Laura :)

Guest WaveCrest

LOL Yes Richard it does sound like the Superman music. Oh my mom and I use to watch all these shows. I loved them all. I think my favorite was Falcon Crest and Knots Landing. I remember when the big Who Shot JR? thing was popular on Dallas, i think i even had the tshirt.. lol Oh yeah it was the Colbys, i dont know why I was thinking The Carringtons lol. I liked the Colbys. makingeyes.gif

Laura :)

You were kind of right in a way, as the Carringtons were the family in Dynasty. :)

Guest Black's Babe

Awwwwwwwwwwwww the 80's primetime soaps, that was a glorious time.

I still trip on the fact that Falcon Crest came for the same creator/writer of The Waltons.

Earl Hammer.

Guest WaveCrest

One of my favourite Richard Channing jokes in Falcon Crest, was in a scene at Tuscany Downs (his racetrack). Angela is sitting at his table by a door onto the balcony where the horse races could be watched from. It was something like this...

"Hello Angela. What would you like for a drink, arsenic on the rocks?" :laugh:

was a die hard Dynasty fan until the Nazi tie-in.

Really? :confused: I'm not a fan of soap-operas at all to be honest, I watched a bit of Eastenders in the past but these days I watch none at all. I know I've heard all about the flying saucers, entire years of these shows disappearing as a dream and other such wild and wacky ideas but I didn't know there was a Nazi plot. How did that work?

Eth

PS I'm sure the reboot of Crossroads here in the UK ended with the revelation that the entire series had never taken place as was simply a dream being had by one of the characters who had fallen asleep at work. Beat that lol

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Oh I can beat that Mark, can beat that by a country mile.. LOL On the soap Days of Our Lives, Marlana gets possessed by the devil and her lover/priest boyfriend has to perform an exorcism on her.. LOL Not kidding.. ghostface.gifwink.gif OMG i have been laughing so much watching this that i think i might have peed on myself.... LOLOLOL

Edited by SpooktalkGiGi
Helped with media insertion.

rofl128573253541761643.jpg

What the..............

Oh you win hands down. Not even a contest. What on earth where they thinking? You have to tell me how this ended. Did the power of Christ compel her or was she burnt at the stake? Was this strange episode ever mentioned again or did her priest/lover wake up in the shower to find his former Satanic lover had all been a dream.

That's got to be one of the funniest soap scenes I have ever scene. How they kept a straight face I will never know.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png