Unsolved Mysteries and Paranormal Phenomenon

Rate this topic

Earthnut

Hi Darlene,

I couldn't agree with you more. A wonderful site chock full of unexplained goodness. I really enjoyed the article on The Taos Hum which has fascinated me ever since I saw a documentary about a growing number of British people affected by this strange phenomena. For those who have never heard of it, allow me to share a little background information on this fascinating, and disturbing, phenomena.

The Hum is a generic name for a series of phenomena involving a persistent and invasive low-frequency humming noise not audible to all people. Hums have been reported in various geographical locations. In some cases a source has been located. A Hum on the Big Island of Hawaii, typically related to volcanic action, is heard in locations dozens of miles apart. The local Hawaiians also say the Hum is most often heard by men. The Hum is most often described as sounding somewhat like a distant idling diesel engine. Typically the Hum is difficult to detect with microphones, and its source and nature are hard to localize.

The Hum is sometimes prefixed with the name of a locality where the problem has been particularly publicized: e.g., the "Bristol Hum", the "Taos Hum" or the "Bondi Hum".

It was during the 1990s that the Hum phenomenon began to be reported in North America and to be known to the American public, when a study by the University of New Mexico and the complaints from many citizens living near the town of Taos, New Mexico, caught the attention of the media. However, in the 1970s and 1980s, a similar phenomenon had been the object of complaints from citizens, of media reports and of studies. It is difficult to tell if the Hum reported in those earlier cases and the Hum that began to be increasingly reported in North America in the 1990s should be considered identical or of different natures. During the last decade, the Hum phenomenon has been reported in many other cities and regions in North America and Europe and in some other regions of the world.

I think many of us will recall the X-Files Episode: Drive. This is one phenomena that I cannot help but believe has some nefarious human intention behind it.

Eth