Weeds

Rate this topic

Guest WaveCrest

Guest WaveCrest

I've watched more episodes of MM on DVD than I have with TXF so far! For me it's a lot! :wink: I watched The Thin White Line earlier in the week and the subject of this thread Weeds. An early episode which was pretty good. The first time I'd seen it in full. A tale of suburbia sins.

The way Lance Henriksen acts on screen is just entrancing to watch. He's that serious Frank but Lance gives plenty of animation to this character.

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

The problem with 'Weeds' is that is it is a little over the top with its gore factor for such a simple and often-told story. I imagine that Morgan and Wong would hold this episode up when they commented that S1 was often violent just for the sake of it, to add spectacle to an otherwise ordinary tale. I don't mind 'Weeds' but it isn't a classic by any means. Also, it one of the first episodes that doesn't really add anything to the world of Millennium. It doesn't feel Millennial and in all honesty is basically just a retread of 'Pilot'.

• 3 months later...
Guest Gledster2000

I do agree with the episode criticism, I think the episode could probably have done without the drinking of the blood scenes (eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww). However, I think it does continue the Millennium mythology. Season 1 keeps referencing how prevelent evil is and this episode is no different. Coming a couple of episodes after 'Wide Open' it again shows that no-one is safe. In a community where safety is paramount, where people have spent over the odds to live in an enclosed world where they can feel safe, something still happens that creates a killer in their midst. Evil still infiltrates. That's how I reflect on it anyway.

• 3 months later...
Guest blondton13

You know, I really like "Weeds". It had the perfect blend of Frank and gore, and I love gore. To me, it was kind of an X-files/Millennium mix. (yes, I said mix-so sue me! :tongue: ) That's what happens when hard-core X-filers watch Millennium. Oh, did I mention I was, at one time, a big X-filer? Probably not, cuz it started to get alittle too confusing to me after season 5 or 6-don't remember which.

My point is, I liked Weeds-I thought it was cool. Please don't beat me now!

:WhipMeLucysaidFrank::wtf:

Guest citizenk

Weeds is one of my favorite eps of the series. It was a perfect example of what S1 was about. This is straight MM not X-files, material. Very creepy. The gore factor was effective. This ep also showed that an affluent closed community was just as vulnerable to evil as a large crime-riddled city.

I think alot of the critisism is unwarranted. Im hearing a lot of crying about a little extra dramatic realism. The gore wasn't really over-the-top or excessive. But it gave the show that extra push and made it very groundbreaking tv. Why should it be just another ep of Law & Order? This is FOX. Rebel, maverick tv. The network whose aim has always been to be inovative and push the envelope, a little.

Guest Kolchak

I always liked 'Weeds'. The blood drinking was a bit over the top. I assumed it was some sort of way to cleanse all of the lies (spoken/and unspoken) in this community. Maybe I'm just reaching for some reason to explain it. I guess I just like the idea of hidden horrors in the "perfect community".

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
You know, I really like "Weeds". It had the perfect blend of Frank and gore, and I love gore. To me, it was kind of an X-files/Millennium mix. (yes, I said mix-so sue me! :tongue: ) That's what happens when hard-core X-filers watch Millennium. Oh, did I mention I was, at one time, a big X-filer? Probably not, cuz it started to get alittle too confusing to me after season 5 or 6-don't remember which.

My point is, I liked Weeds-I thought it was cool. Please don't beat me now!

:WhipMeLucysaidFrank:  :wtf:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I liked the episode as well, so there will be no beating, maybe just a little :ick::grin: I, like you was also a big X-filer, and like you I kind of started to lose interest (to some degree) in the show and some of it's story lines. To this day, I am pretty sure that I can say that I saw every episode, but there maybe be a couple that slipped through the cracks in the final two years where Mulder was being phased out and Dogget and Rayes were being worked in as the main characters, replacing Mulder and Scully. Problem is, those two simply can't be replaced, and the show had already lost it's freshness at that point. Still, there were some great episodes in every season, but for me, the spark wasn't there like early on. I agree, when you have two shows that are created by the same person (Chris Carter), that often delve into the dark side of mankind, revolve around FBI agents, and in the case of Mulder and Frank, profilers, you are going to get some overlap, and episodes that seem like a "mix" of the two shows. Here is an interesting question. Was there much crossover between the two shows as far as the writers?

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Interesting, the Millennial Abyss gave Weeds a 2 out of 5. I thought it was much better than than, and would probably give it a 3.75 out of 5. It was one of those episodes that i enjoyed more than I thought I would based on my memories of the show when it was aired years ago. It didn't strike me as over the top. The episode "Home" in X-files, now that was over the top. I didn't think of the blood drinking scenes as being excessive or any of it as being violent for the sake of being violent. I just thought of it as part of the plot. Let's face it, if you don't like dark, violent, gory, and unflinching entertainment, then Millennium is not for you, which is not to say I don't respect the opinion of those who do think it was excessive. Everyone is intitled to their opinion. I just don't think it was a case where the artistic side of the show was compromised so that they could force some gratuitous violence into the show.