What ever happened...

Who Am I?

Right folks. I managed to find what was airing in the weeks Kara mentioned and it was repeats of shows...

February 28, 1997: Fox, 21:00 Millennium "Blood Relatives" (repeat)

March 7, 1997: Fox, 21:00 Millennium "Wide Open" (repeat)

March 14, 1997: Fox, 21:00 When Disaster Strikes (repeat)

Source: tvtango.com

No wonder the show was struggling to retain its audience. Barely a handful of episodes in and they were already repeating the show and airing other repeats in its timeslot and keeping viewers hanging on for a month for a new episode. Not good is it?

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Elders (Admins)

Interesting Eth, thanks for that!

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

Guest WaveCrest

Nowadays most shows air up to 10 new episodes from it's season premiere in the autumn. Usually new episodes are shown throughout November and February (sweeps months, something to do with how much the advertisers charge I think) and mostly through May (the last sweeps month in the main US TV season) as well. I've read on the web that they air repeats through most of April. I've forgotten why.

Now that Mark has answered this, but my first guess would be sports events like football or something.

I remember Sliders getting pre-emted a lot and what not and shown out of order and the first season was very much serialized

(and they couldn't even put them in the right order on the DVD, what a hassle changing discs to see them in the intended order, argh!).

If only they could have done it like the Homicide: Life on the Street sets, in the order intended by the producers, sheer class.

Edited by ty7du

I'm not depressed, just quiet.

Jósef's Visual Musings:

http://cheersfromiceland.blogspot.com/

Guest RodimusBen

This was also a point of frustration people had with LOST in its second season, which led to the eventual decision to delay the premieres until January so as to have a completely uninterrupted run of new episodes. Now, Millennium is not AS serial as LOST, but I could still see being thrown off by constant repeats, especially in season 2, arguably the most serial of the three seasons.

It's funny you should mention Sliders, Josef. As I was browsing through the schedules it appears it was in the time slot immediately proceeding Millennium. As it was also being repeated and broadcast erratically it must have had an affect on Millennium's potential viewers as most viewers stay with the channel they are watching for most of the evening (or at least the did in those days). With 20:00 - 22:00 hours on Fox on a Friday night being somewhat erratic it's no wonder both shows struggled to retain a loyal audience.

I had a look at season two's airdates Ben and with the exception of a month between Jose and Midnight (so that the latter would air during Christmas I assume) it was broadcast very consistently so that's a positive I guess.

Eth

josew.gif

Guest WaveCrest

That's correct Mark about Silders being Millennium's lead-in on Friday nights back in the 1996-97 US TV season. In this book, The Complete Directory to Prime-Time Network and Cable TV Shows (1946-1999) by Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh, it has the prime-time TV schedules for network shows from the 1946 season to the 1998 season.

Sliders was on from 8 pm - 9 pm, with Millennium following at 9 pm - 10 pm. No show was on FOX on Friday nights after Millennium in the 10 pm - 11 pm slot.

Sliders was up against the following shows on rival networks during the 8 pm - 9 pm timeslot at the start of the 1996-97 (because some of them could have been swapped round with other shows on the same network, or could have been cancelled and replaced by another show on the same network):

ABC - Family Matters (8 pm - 9.30 pm)

ABC - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch (8.30 pm - 9 pm)

CBS - Dave's World (8 pm - 8.30 pm)

CBS - Everybody Loves Raymond (8.30 pm - 9 pm)

NBC - Unsolved Mysteries (8 pm - 9 pm)

and the following shows were up against Millennium in the 9 pm - 10 pm timeslot:

ABC - Clueless (9 pm - 9.30 pm)

ABC - Boy Meets World (9.30 pm - 10 pm)

CBS - Mr. & Mrs. Smith (9 pm - 10 pm)

NBC - Dateline NBC (9 pm - 10 pm).

Yay Mark!

I miss Sliders. I look back at what both shows were competing against and I can't believe it. Those shows have nothing on Sliders and Millennium. ABC's TGIF was crap then, and it would be crap now if they didn't have ABC Family to handle it. I think 2200 had the news across the board for the most part.

Bloody repeats. I think that if a show goes into repeatmode before 3 months are up, it should get ripped from the air completely, regardless of ratings. Of course, with cable being much more prominent, and with DVRs, it doesn't make a damned difference.

whoami.gif

image,Peter-spc-Watts,white,black.png

I am growing

And I am growing anxious

And I am growing weary

And I am growing closer

And I am growing up

And I am growing impatient

And I am growing leery

And I am growing wise

And I am growing less

And less

Hi Kara,

The interesting thing is that from what I have been reading, repeats of shows are common during the months of December and January as many shows go oon a holiday hiatus but viewers expect first-run episodes heading into February, one of four traditional “sweeps” months when the broadcast networks compete for audiences and advertisers. If you look at the weeks you mention, it was during February that Millennium began airing repeats of episodes rather than broadcast new ones and this situation continued for over a month.

Could it be that when it really mattered to them that Fox got it so wrong by airing repeats in its prime-time slots or could there have been a reason at the Ten Thirteen end why new episodes were not being delivered? I only ask because it seems like the last time repeats aired during the February Sweeps was when the writer's strike was on and the networks had no choice but to do that.

Eth

josew.gif

Guest WaveCrest

Normally networks don't air new episodes during December and April, which is why you see so few episodes premiering in those months. The sweeps months on network TV are usually November, February and May.