Clyde Bruckman

Rate this topic

i have been watching the old Three Stooges Shorts with my five year old son and kept noticing the name of one of the writers was Clyde Bruckman. I was thinking to myself that this name sounds familiar, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose! So I did my research:

Clyde Bruckman, writer and director had been out of work and was pretty much broke when he killed himself. He borrowed Buster Keaton's gun and after eating a meal that he could not pay for, shot himself. There are two stories; One says it was in the restroom of the cafe on Santa Monica Blvd, and the other story states he did it in the phone booth. His last real work was directing Buster Keaton on his local Los Angeles tv show on KTTV. This was in the early fifties and it was live. The show ran for just a year, but was popular. KTTV was having money problems and could not keep it on the air. The few tapes that survived show Keaton doing his typical gags, many that had been re-worked from his past glory.

Clyde Bruckman's life and death were the inspiration for one of the episodes of "The X Files" (1993). Peter Boyle played the fictional character named Clyde Bruckman in a Darin Morgan penned episode called "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose."

Bruckman wrote some of my favorite Stooge Classics like "You Natzy Spy", "Three Dumb Clucks" and "Three Sappy People"

I remember the X-File episode and never noticed or made the connection.

I was raised in California and worked at KCET (PBS) in Hollywood, and what a treat it was to read, "KTTV," bringing back memories. Thanks.