Saint Michael Jackson

Here's a great article courtesy of Fortean times that touches on an subject I find fascinating. The notion of 'folk saints' is not uncommon amongst some cultures but it is not as prevalent in the Western World. It asserts that some individuals, often unlikely individuals, return to heal and appear in visions beyond their deaths. Reports have begun to emerge of healings attributed to the late Michael Jackson, Diana: Princess of Wales and *cough* Elvis.

What do you think? Is the heavenly choir becoming the place to be these days?

Eth

Read article here.

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People see, feel, and receive what they want and what makies them feel good, and most of the time don't care about what is fact or fiction. They're mind and emotions convince them, and then it's created. We all have ministering spirits who guide us and help us grow. And, we are specifically instructed in God's Word to not to have other God's or worship anyone or anything else but Father Creator God. The heavenlies are real, and the operating spirits (principalities and powers) in them are real. Reminds me of something Fox Mulder said in an episode, can't remember which one, but has always stuck with me:

"You can't conjure up the devil and then expect him to behave."

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

Personal views in operation here:

Well, I have a deep and abiding slice of scepticism in my soul (which I don't believe in anyway), but the power of belief should never be ignored, because it does have power, but more from the individual person rather than anything supernatural. If something has been mislaid, prayer to St Anthony can often work, because that motivates the person to keep on looking rather than giving up in despair way too soon. The idea of invoking people such as Michael Jackson or Princess Diana to assist when times are bad is as much to do with how an individual, desparately trying to find a way of dealing with whatever it is they are facing, is rationally more likely to turn to someone they perceive as powerful and effective. For many people, the distinction between dead and alive is not a clear distinction, but for me what is very upsetting is if people feel that people who are alive and should be able to help them aren't seen as capable of solving their problems. Saints, however they perceived as either folk or church-sanctioned, shouldn't be the ultimate recourse for help that people have. But if that it what people feel, then I'd guess that there's been a massive failure of local support.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Hi guys,

Libby is right. In many circumstances folk saints are the product of desperation often because entire communities have become disenfranchised and unable to affect any positive changes in their existence.

I recently read of the Santos Malandros, a The Cult of Holy Thugs worshipped by some devotees of the Maria Lionza Cult. In life, The Santos Malandros were a group of robbers, thieves and drug dealers who policed the poorer parts of Venezuela, robbing from the rich to give to the poor as modern day Robin Hoods. In death they have continued to care for 'their own', protecting them from theft, healing them and shielding modern day gang members from the guns of rival gangs. The Santos Malandros were born from need. In some areas of modern Venezuela, faith the in the police is non existent with many citizens as fearful, if not more, of the batons and the guns of the police than of those of their neighbours. The people needed saints who understood them and who had the necessary mettle to bring order to chaos in some incredibly dangerous neighbourhoods and who better than a gang of men and women who served that very function in life.

As morally ambiguous as it may seem to deify drug dealers and thieves, these saints bring hope and assistance where all else, including the established religious system, have failed and until such time as the earthly powers provide assistance then these spiritual entities are all the people of some parts of Venezuela have.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png