Jonathan Creek

Guest WaveCrest

Guest WaveCrest

I was surprised there wasn't a thread already for Jonathan Creek (just done a forum search). I thought I'd search for a thread about the show because of reading Mark's post in TIWWA's shoutbox that "The Judas Tree" has got a pre-order listing page on Play.com.

"The Judas Tree", a one-off special, was passed by the BBFC recently, getting a 15 certificate.

For those who don't know what this UK series is about, it's a comedy drama series about a magician's assistant (or is it apprentice? Or someone who comes up with the magician's tricks in his act?) who solves baffling mysteries and lives in a windmill cottage.

Comedian Alan Davies plays Jonathan Creek (the magician's assistant, apprentice or magic tricks inventor), and in the first few series his co-star was comedy actress Caroline Quentin. Then later on comedy actress Julia Sawaltha starred with Alan Davies in I think one one-off special, followed by comedy actress Sheridan Smith in the most recent one-off special ("The Gemini Man"?), shown on I think New Year's Day, 2009. "The Judas Tree" is the next new episode, to premiere (I assume, as it has done in the past) on BBC1.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elders (Admins)

I loved the original series. The combination of Alan Davies and Caroline Quentin worked so well, I thought. I guess it's like a lot of shows/movies where I start with the original and then can't really get into any sequels or cast changes (though there are a couple of exceptions).

But I would be interested in watching "The Judas Tree" and I hope some kind UKer will post an airing date.

Oooh, just searched on amazon uk - the complete series 1 - 4 and Christmas Specials is available for £16.99 - added to wish list. :thumbsup:

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Oh I almost missed this,

Well as I was nattering about this on the Shoutbox I guess that's a good indication of how much I love this show. Like Libby, I adored the mix of Davies and Quentin and I felt that whilst Julia did her best, writing her character as far more argumentative and sarcastic than Quentin's character was a mistake. That said, I was delighted when I heard that Sheridan Smith had been cast as the new companion as I love her comedy work and absolutely adore her as Lucy Miller in the Big Finish range of Eighth Doctor stories.

I haven't any idea when The Judas Three is due to be broadcast but I do recall reading that the Beeb had ordered Davies to take a pay cut and they cut the budget for the show as a whole. Davies feels that this will translate as a loss of quality which would be a shame if he is proven right. Smith said she thought the script for The Judas Tree was superb and I believe the episode has a heavy supernatural element so consider me intrigued.

Can't wait for Easter!

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest WaveCrest

It's hard to guess when it will air, but I'm going to guess at it being shown on Easter Sunday or Monday.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest WaveCrest

The Judas Tree is going to be shown on Good Friday I think Mark. At the back of the TV magazine with The Sun newspaper it has a picture of Alan Davies with Sheridan Smith, with a "Next week" heading at the top of the page, which means it will be on BBC1 anytime between next Saturday and Good Friday. I've just checked on Radio Times' website and the only listings they've got are for two screenings on Gold. Now they only have listings for the next fortnight, so it must be Good Friday when The Judas Tree will be shown. However Radio Times' listings for Friday 2nd April haven't been put up yet.

• Elders (Admins)

WaveCrest: Thanks to you I've just bought the Jonathan Creek box set, which has all episodes up to Gorgon's Wood. I've watched the first two cases. Fabulous stuff.

I've looked at imdb for this show, and it seems that David Renwick wrote every episode. If that's so, he must have an amazing mind.

Do you know why the show was brought back for two further cases in 2009/2010?

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Libby,

As far as I know the reason Creek took a hiatus was down to Renwick's increasing difficulties in creating new and every more inventive mysteries to solve. It has to have the most complex concepts behind it to make it work and he spoke openly about struggling to find new ideas. I guess the time away allowed him a slower pace at which to come up with ideas. The undeniable ratings success of the last New Years Special made the Beeb every more thirsty for more Jonathan Creek and I'm just delighted we are getting another special in a matter of weeks.

Any idea on an airdate yet anyone?

Eth

josew.gif

Hi folks,

I still can't find a definitive date for the airing of this but I did manage to find a brief synopsis of the episode. With new Doctor Who and the return of Jonathan Creek I think Easter television is looking to trump the Christmas schedules of 2009. I can't wait.

Eth

27 "The Judas Tree" 90 minutes David Renwick April 2010

Jonathan Creek is called upon by his friend and sceptic Joey to investigate a series of mysterious and spooky events at a house called Green Lanterns. They concern a young girl called Emily - new housekeeper to the famous mystery writer Hugo Dore and his wife, Harriet. But Emily's new role comes with a house that has its own fair share of history and mystery... When Harriet is seen falling from a window, Emily is arrested on suspicion of murder, though she swears she is innocent. Using his powers of deduction and belief that nothing is at it seems, Creek races against time to uncover a number of intriguing clues which lead him to the unbelievable truth and the revealing of one of the greatest acts of illusion he has encountered yet.

josew.gif

Guest WaveCrest

WaveCrest: Thanks to you I've just bought the Jonathan Creek box set, which has all episodes up to Gorgon's Wood. I've watched the first two cases. Fabulous stuff.

I'm not very good with taking praise and compliments, but you're welcome. :smile:

Hi folks,

Now this is speculative at the moment as we await confirmation from the BBC but the Easter Schedules have been released at Digital Spy and Jonathan Creek is scheduled for Easter Sunday as is the second part of Doctor Who: The Eleventh Hour. Two good reasons to be in front of the the gogglebox that day. :)

Eth

EASTER DAY

9.00am Formula One Race Build Up (with the race live on BBC2)

10.00 Easter Morning Worship

11.00 Urbi et Orbi

11.40 EastEnders

1.35 BBC News

1.40 Formula 1: The race from BBC2 this morning

4.00 Doctor Who (yesterday's opening episode)

5.00 Songs of Praise: The First Easter

5.40 BBC News

6.00 Easter From Kings

7.00 Countryfile

8.00 Antiques Roadshow

9.00 Jonathan Creek

10.30 BBC News

10.50 Rock and Chips

11.50 FILM: King Arthur

1.45 BBC News 24

SOURCE: digitalspy.com

josew.gif