The Penitent Man

Rate this topic

Guest Kudzu1977

• Elders (Admins)

Thanks for the links everyone.

I love the look, feel and sound of this film, Lance looks great especially if you watch the HD version of the clip. Daniel Bernstein's soundtrack is definitely on my to buy list - if only for the Millenniumistic violin!

Something has gone wrong with that fade-in, either its pre-production and not ready yet or something went awry with the Youtube upload or conversion. Looks like some frames are missing and it jumps.

I am really excited about this film. The visuals look superb, very rich indeed, and what really interests me is how into the film Lance seems to be. I found a little factoid over at IMDB and you can tell that it really left an impression on Lance and to the best of my knowledge, the last film that he did that he seemed as ebullient about was Bone Dry and that turned out to be a superb little flick.

Eth

# From concept to completion, The Penitent Man took only five months to produce. That is four months from beginning the script, to financing, to production, to post-production.

# During the production, the film's star Lance Henriksen presented Director Nicholas Gyeney with the portrait James Cameron had painted of him as The Terminator (1984) before casting Arnold Schwarzenegger in the role.

# After production, Director Nicholas Gyeney and Lance Henriksen got matching tattoos to commemorate the film and their passion for it.

# In the flower shop scene, an actor can be seen wearing a t-shirt with the words "The Falling" written across it. This is the title of Director Nicholas Gyeney's first film, which he shot when he was just 19 years old.

# On set, cast and crew would play practical jokes to lighten the mood. A crew favorite was tagging unsuspecting people with clothes pins, a common crew tool.

# During shooting, a coat rack was accidentally left out of a shot. Much later, after wrapping the scene, the crew noticed the continuity error. A coat rack was later added during post-production to correct the mistake, marking the film's only digital effect.

# To save time during post-production, much of the score and sound editing was completed before locking the picture.

# Director Cameo: [Nicholas Gyeney] Man in elevator.

# The script references Dr. Jason Pyatt's deceased father. This is a direct reference to Writer, Director Nicholas Gyeney's own life. His father died when he was just 12 years old.

Guest WaveCrest

This is fascinating stuff about the film, the film itself, there's a soundtrack, and the trivia above. Maybe Nicholas Gyeney's first film The Falling will be included as a DVD extra on the eventual (hopefully) DVD of The Penitent Man.

I really hope it gets a DVD release too Richard but as the reviews seem so positive and the reception has been the same I am sure they will release it at least on Region 1.

Nicholas Gyeney really seems like a name to look out for in the future. I was having a browse around and I found a snippet from an interview that Lance gave a while ago and it's clear that he was impressed with him even before he began shooting the film.

LANCE: Right now, I just got back from up in Seattle, there’s a movie called THE PENITENT MAN, and I got the script and I went “Oh my God. There’s this 40-page monologue in here I’ll have to do” and the script is beautifully written, it really is.

I called the director and I said, “What’s your plans? How are you going to go about this movie?” This is his second movie and it’s not a very big budget, but it’s enough to do the movie, so he said, “You will come up a couple of days ahead and we will rehearse.” I said, “Wait a minute, I tell you what I will do. We need a week’s rehearsal. I’ll come up. You don’t have to pay me, just get me up there and pay for my hotel and we will rehearse for a week.” He did and so I just got back and I go up on the 28th to shoot the film and so those are the kinds of tests and those are the kind of realities… If he had not picked up on that, I would have passed on it. I wouldn’t have done it. It would’ve been impossible to do and it’s not that I was testing him selfishly, it was just reality. I have worked with a lot of first time directors and the ones that I know are going to be good are the ones that are always reaching, not trying to throw money at something and not falling down, because they don’t have the money to do it, but because they make do and try to be creative. That’s a big deal and I’ve seen it work and I have seen it fail for both of those reasons.

source: ainitcool.com

Guest WaveCrest

Not long watched the title sequence (via Lance Henriksen Web Magic) and I was impressed. The music is like Millennium yes, and the colouring and imagery used in the title sequence reminded me of the Icon film logo and title sequence for I think World in Action and The South Bank Show (the Michaelangelo painted ceiling part of the title sequence).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nicholas Gyeney

Hi Everyone, this is Nicholas Gyeney, the director of "The Penitent Man". I just wanted to pop in to answer any quick questions, and also to let you know that the film has been picked up, and will be released theatrically beginning May 28, 2010 in a limited release that will expand.

As a special bonus, to those of you who are in the L.A. area...Lance and myself will be screening the film at The Method Fest in Calabasas, CA on March 29th @ 7pm. We will be having a Q & A after the film.

We will also be screening the film at The Seattle International Film Festival in May.

If possible, I would love for you to post this for Lance's fans to see on your/ other sites that may follow his career. Tell your friends to post on message boards, etc. If they want to come see Lance talk about the performance of his career, this is their chance.

You can buy tickets for the Method Fest screening here: https://www.brownpapertickets.com/producerevent/103136?prod_id=2315

Thanks again, I hope to see some of you at the screening.

Nick.

• Elders (Admins)

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for taking the time to register and keep us up to date. Yes, we'll definitely be getting the word out, in fact I'm just editing an article for LHM following your e-mail.

The film is looking excellent and if I didn't live in the UK, I'd be at the premiere for sure!

Regards,

Graham

Hi Nicholas,

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit TIWWA and for sharing this information with supporters of Lance and his continuing career. I think this may well be the third, if not fourth, thread about this film in recent times so you can see that the good people here (myself included) are eagerly waiting an opportunity to see the film.

I am sure people will do all they can to help spread the word about this fantastic opportunity and, again, it's one more reason for me to lament living in England.

I wish you all the very best with this and please feel free to drop by whenever you can and keep us updated with the films progress.

Best wishes,

Eth

Hi Everyone, this is Nicholas Gyeney, the director of "The Penitent Man". I just wanted to pop in to answer any quick questions, and also to let you know that the film has been picked up, and will be released theatrically beginning May 28, 2010 in a limited release that will expand.

As a special bonus, to those of you who are in the L.A. area...Lance and myself will be screening the film at The Method Fest in Calabasas, CA on March 29th @ 7pm. We will be having a Q & A after the film.

We will also be screening the film at The Seattle International Film Festival in May.

If possible, I would love for you to post this for Lance's fans to see on your/ other sites that may follow his career. Tell your friends to post on message boards, etc. If they want to come see Lance talk about the performance of his career, this is their chance.

You can buy tickets for the Method Fest screening here: https://www.brownpapertickets.com/producerevent/103136?prod_id=2315

Thanks again, I hope to see some of you at the screening.

Nick.

BEER---> Hi Nick. Good to see found this website. Also being a Southern Californian I'm gonna try and make your screening. It's a ways for me, but I'll see what I can do. I have viewed your trailer and other little snippets and it looks very promising with a very interesting plot. Best of luck with this film and of course please wish Lance my appreciation for his work.

BELCH