The Penitent Man

Rate this topic

Guest Kudzu1977

I did comparing at AxelMusic, Amazon, and Deep Discount, I have to say that the prices are better at Deep Discount. AxelMusic is $15.82, $4.00 less for The Penitent Man then at Amazon which is $19.98, and there's always shipping and handling at Amazon unless it qualifies for their free super saver shipping. There's no image displayed at Deep Discount, but The Penitent Man is selling for $12.22, and with free shipping. It always nice when you can buy something and not have to pay for shipping Just ordered my copy from DD. Looking forward to seeing it. It's Lance, the man. :notworthy::ouroborous:

Sidewinder, aren't you able to watch R1 releases? I know a few of us here are R2 but we helped each other locate unlocking codes that made our DVD players region free. Whether it is Lance Henriksen's movies or not this has been an absolute blessing for me in terms of my horror collection as there are many films that are unavailable in R2 and often the R1 releases contain a better selection of DVD extras.

I am sure there is a way you could do the same.

Eth

I found a copy on Ebay Richard, I think it could well have been of those they send out to press websites and so on for review purposes so I got it a little cheaper and from within the UK so win, win on all counts.

Not a bad film but flawed. Lance is superb as always but the narrative needs work. That said, it's certainly something I would consider watching again so it isn't quite as bad as some reviews have made it out to be.

Eth

If you want my honest assessment the script is a little flawed. I appreciate and understand that this was only the second script of the writer's to be turned into a film so one would expect it to lack the spit and polish of a script written by a seasoned pro. That said, some of the flaws appeared a little evident as if they should have been spotted and remedied but as someone who has never written a script I can't be too critical of that fact.

Lance plays a world-weary, almost tormented, soul in this and to be honest it's close enough to Frank Black to demand nothing new of him and he is superb, I have to say, if not actually stretching himself very much. The cinematography is a little too self conscious at times but very well done for a independent movie. My main criticism is that what is intended to be an undertone is way too accessible and becomes overtone but all in all I enjoyed it. The performances are worthy of merit and the script, though not perfect, is much better than a lot of what passes for independent movies these days.

I'd love to know your thoughts when you've seen it.

Eth

My pleasure and I hope you'll share your thoughts with us when you get around to seeing it. After seeing the film I really had a thirst for seeing Lance is something different, something comedic maybe. It would be great to see him given a role that would stretch him a little. I'm kinda hoping that Monster's Bas would be a visual role as that seems to have a irreverent, tongue-in-cheek vibe about the concept. It could well have been an opportunity to see him doing something a little unusual.

Eth