By The Numbers: 1

Rate this topic

Guest Snapper

Pick your favorite  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

'pilot' grabbed me and wouldn't let go.  the eyes and mouths sewn shut still gives me shivers.  for me, it's the winner.

i think both the 2nd and 3rd season premier eps ended up brushing away serious topics by introducing new serious topics.  in the case of both, i didn't feel any real payoff to either until late in the 3rd season.  if i had to choose either, on their individual merits, i'd pick 'the innocents' because of it's less-than-subtle reference to 'force majeure'.  i just didn't get into doug hutchison as the polaroid stalker.  on the other hand, the farm house full of polaroids was MOST creepy.

j

:ouro:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree with you ref the pilot, i had planned on watching the pilot, had actually recorded it while i was at work, ended up watching it about 4-5 times over the next couple of days really made an impact, still to this day its the best pilot of any show ive ever watched, great pilot

• 1 month later...
This is something I've seen done in other forums, and I thought the format would fit Millennium perfectly. This alleatory comparisons by episode number put the seasons in perspective, and force the episodes to stand by themselves instead of as part of the mytharc. Furthermore, they're fun.

Anyway, if enough people enjoy this poll i'll post a new one (corresponding to the next episode numeral) every five days or so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

all 3 are great episodes but i had to pick the pilot just because the first time i watched it i have never been so enthralled by a tv show, i mean, "glued" to the tv is not enough to describe it, i recorded it while i was at work so i could watch it when i got home and i ended up watching it 3 times that night...great pilot...no flaws

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest MrCox

At least I wanted to share my thoughts on these "by the numbers" polls.

As far as season openers go, the pilot wins. It's a fantastic entry into the world of Frank Black, it's very dark and scary, introduces almost every detail that will be important in the future (even the apocalypse theme) and features a lot of fantastic actors. I've never seen a pilot where nearly every aspect works out that well (besides Twin Peaks maybe).

The only thing I didn't like was the sudden ending where Frank nearly stumbles across the killer. The pilot should have run 60 minutes to clear everything up (Jordan's illness for example). But besides this, the pilot is fantastic! If I had to introduce people to the show, the pilot would be my first choice (and it succeeded at least on one occasion: I showed it to a friend and a few weeks later we had watched all 68 episodes! He LOVES the show now!)

"The Beginning And The End" is close second. Without the continuity errors to "Paper Dove" and the slashing of the stalker (what a waste!) it would have been just as close to perfection as the pilot. There's enough to enjoy, for example Peter Watts' story, Catherine's horrible experiences and of course the abduction scene with Talking Heads' "Life During Wartime" playing. The story seemed to be some kind of "Let's get rid of this stalker" by Morgan and Wong and it nearly ruins the episode. But still I love it.

I didn't like "The Innocents" at all when I first saw it and even now - with a better understanding of season 3 I think it's mediocre at best. The finest moments are those between Frank and Tom or the scenes with Jordan. There are some high points but they nearly get lost beside all the pointless action and those terrible FBI dudes (Baldwin and McClaren). Emma is a nice addition but needed still more time to develop.

Guest Kinggi

Tough decision between the pilot and beginning and the end for me. On one hand, you have a pretty amazing episode of TV in the pilot. Chris Carter spent a month shooting it and it shows. Very impressive and probably of a higher quality than pretty much any other show ive seen besides the X Files. However, it contained a stand-alone plot line, and although it established the characters for the series it's relevance to the rest of it was minimal. With the beginning and the end, you have another very well done episode, and watching it on widescreen off the dvd shows it is a very good looking and well written episode. I felt it had more of an impact on the overall plot of the series, and was a great start to the amazing season 2.

In the end i think ill go with the pilot though. The quality of it is very high and as a stand alone episode its basically perfect.

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
At least I wanted to share my thoughts on these "by the numbers" polls.

As far as season openers go, the pilot wins. It's a fantastic entry into the world of Frank Black, it's very dark and scary, introduces almost every detail that will be important in the future (even the apocalypse theme) and features a lot of fantastic actors. I've never seen a pilot where nearly every aspect works out that well (besides Twin Peaks maybe).

The only thing I didn't like was the sudden ending where Frank nearly stumbles across the killer. The pilot should have run 60 minutes to clear everything up (Jordan's illness for example). But besides this, the pilot is fantastic! If I had to introduce people to the show, the pilot would be my first choice (and it succeeded at least on one occasion: I showed it to a friend and a few weeks later we had watched all 68 episodes! He LOVES the show now!)

"The Beginning And The End" is close second. Without the continuity errors to "Paper Dove" and the slashing of the stalker (what a waste!) it would have been just as close to perfection as the pilot. There's enough to enjoy, for example Peter Watts' story, Catherine's horrible experiences and of course the abduction scene with Talking Heads' "Life During Wartime" playing. The story seemed to be some kind of "Let's get rid of this stalker" by Morgan and Wong and it nearly ruins the episode. But still I love it.

I didn't like "The Innocents" at all when I first saw it and even now - with a better understanding of season 3 I think it's mediocre at best. The finest moments are those between Frank and Tom or the scenes with Jordan. There are some high points but they nearly get lost beside all the pointless action and those terrible FBI dudes (Baldwin and McClaren). Emma is a nice addition but needed still more time to develop.

To quote 4th Horseman 'Two Words'... April Telek :w00t:

Well, the 'April Telek' part is mine :tasty: C'mon guys, I'm honestly NOT that shallow...

Really... :tongue:

• 3 years later...

Naturally, the Pilot, because it scared the ba-jebbers out of me. The Beginning and the End was fantastic starting out a new season. As good as The Innocents is, it can't compete with the pilot and the first of season two.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

The pilot. Simply because it was the pilot. That episode told you so much about their hopes and desires. I can't get over the chemistry between Brittany Tiplady and both adults, she was such a natural child, you really believed they were her mom and dad. When she licked Lance Henriksens nose, that was not in the script, but it so made that episode!