GOOD FOOD CHANNEL: The Importance of Being Chocolate

Rate this topic

Chocolate? Well no doubt by now you are saturated with the stuff, and enjoying every mouthful I might add) but before you pop the next bit in your mouth read the following article, lovingly crafted by Laura (SpooktalkGigi) and it just might get you to appreciate the good stuff before you devour it greedily.

Like all the Blackcoats, Laura worked extremely hard to put this together for us and I hope you will share with her your chocolate-coated-thoughts and afford her some rep points as a way of thanking her. So, without further ado, "The Importance of Being Chocolate". Nuff said.

1269892319.png

e493.gif

Chocolate, just the word alone brings warmth and joy to people of all ages. We give chocolate to loved ones on Valentines Day and chocolates at Christmas, chocolates at Easter with chocolate bunnies and chocolate eggs and there is chocolate ice cream, chocolate cake, and you can even get chocolate coffee. I have only known a few people who do not like chocolate and a few poor souls who are allergic to chocolate, perish the thought, but when you are sitting down enjoying your chocolate did you ever think about where it comes from, what part it has played in history and how important it is to our health and well being? Well wonder no more.

e493.gif

1270170796.png

Chocolate originated in South America from the cocoa bean from the Cacao tree. The Mayas thought that the cocoa pod symbolized life and fertility and the Aztecs worshipped chocolate and believed it was from the heavens and used it as a health elixir but during that time they did not know sugar so their chocolate was bitter like a dark chocolate. The precious beans were also used as currency. It wasn't until its arrival in Spain that sugar was mixed with it making it the sweet treat we know today. Chocolate wasn't always met with pleasure though, the Roman Church and the British didn't like chocolate, they thought it was useless and burned shipments of the beans.

e493.gif

I think we have to give a big thanks to the Spanish for they introduced chocolate to the French via a marriage and a dowry and the rest is history. The french went wild with it and made candy and declared it an erotic pleasure. Chocolate is thought to be an aphrodisiac, is it merely because we associate chocolate with love as in giving it to our sweethearts? Actually chocolate contains a few components such as PEA(phenylethylamine) which is found naturally in our brains and peaks during an orgasm :) also there is tryptophan, which can make you sleepy but also makes you feel happy via serotonin. :) So see, chocolate can be good for you and your sex life. :)

1270170840.png

Recently research has shown that eating a small amount of dark chocolate can also be good for your heart. Dark chocolate contains antioxidants that protect the body from aging and also reduce your blood pressure. So, dark chocolate dipped strawberries is romantic and good for you all at the same time. So, you may be asking yourself what about all those stories about chocolate causing acne or rotting your teeth out like your parents use to tell you? Chocolate has been given a bad reputation, chocolate does not break your face out and does not rot your teeth out, in fact chocolate contains several nutrients and vitamins and minerals. It is still not healthy to go get yourself a whole bag of chocolate and sit down and eat it all at once but do enjoy it whenever a craving hits or as an occasional treat. :) If you are like me though, a craving for chocolate is everyday. lol :)

1270170883.png

OK, so we have learned the history of chocolate, the health benefits of eating chocolate but did you know that some people enjoy chocolate massages? Yes, can you imagine having warm chocolate rubbed all over your body? I can! :) Some spas now offer chocolate massages and masks, what a way to spend the day.

e493.gif

So, we can eat chocolate, drink chocolate and even wear chocolate what a wonderful gift chocolate is, just one little piece of that delicious treat can say so much, like I love you, I'm sorry, treat yourself, enjoy and have a great day. Who would have ever thought how important it is being chocolate!

• Like 1

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Awwww Mark, you made my little article look so good, love the banners lol Thank you my very dear friend and brother, love you! ((((((Hugs)))))) makingeyes.gif You have done a fantastic job with everything. Wow, how pretty everything looks. Thank You! :)

laura :)

There was a recent article in the British Press that espoused the health benefits of daily chocolate much to the bemusement of my Mother who had given up her daily chocolate as advised by the press some months earlier. I have to say I adore chocolate but I don't actually eat that much of it. That said, this weekend is going to be something of a break from tradition as I plan to gorge myself silly.

Superb article Laura, a great read and perfect for this time of year.

Thank you!

Eth

• Like 1

• Elders (Admins)

Great article Laura! I confess I have a tube of mini-eggs next to me, they're quite addictive. :tasty:

I'm a little like our good man Jósef in that I'm more of a crisp man, more savoury than sweet! Chocolate gives me sensitive toothache when I eat it, I'm not so keen on milk chocolate but I absolutely love dark, plain chocolate and can never resist! :wub: