Mine Blast Kills At Least 25

Rate this topic

Earthnut

There have been many different kinds of disasters in MLM, but I don't remember there ever being a mine cave-in or blast killing miners. This is however, news in the real world, and felt it needed to be posted so members know what happened in West Virginia Monday, the day after Easter, and to keep all the families of the victims in their prayers as well as the workers working around the clock.

"By Oren Dorell, USA TODAY

NAOMA, W.Va. — Rescue workers ran into difficulties Tuesday, clearing steep hillsides over the section of a coal mine where four missing miners may be after an explosion killed 25 men in the worst mine disaster since 1984.

Crews had to bulldoze an access road before they could begin the dangerous attempt to drill the first of three bore holes into the coal mine to search for survivors. By Tuesday afternoon, workers planned to drill a fourth hole, said Kevin Stricklin, an administrator with the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration.

"Imagine having to get machinery the size of a tractor-trailer up the side of a mountain, setting up a drilling rig, and then drilling down 1,100 feet and not being off by more than 10 feet," Stricklin said.........."

Link for the rest of the story:

Mine Blast Kills At Least 25

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

this is about a little over an hour from where we live here in KY, such sad sad news. We are all praying for the miners and their families, 4 are still missing and they are trying to get to them but the levels of methane gas is too high and they have to wait for the levels to go down before going back in which probably won't be until some time this afternoon or tonight. Lets hope they are found safe and sound. :) Govenor Joe Manchin froom West Virginia is a great man and is right there with the families and the rescue operation as he was with the Sago mine tragedy.

laura :)