Chimera

Rate this topic

Guest WaveCrest

Guest WaveCrest

When it originally premiered on FOX back in the spring of 2000 the seventh season episode "Chimera" was received with mixed reviews. And yet I thought it was an underrated episode. For three parts of the episode it was a Mulder only case (he and Scully were on a stakeout at the beginning of the episode after the teaser and title sequence), involving a love triangle if I remember right. One of the guest stars was an actress who appeared at the start of the Sylvester Stallone 1993 film Cliffhanger. I liked the use of colour in this episode and the simple fact that Mulder was on his own with this case. One scene which I remember well is the one where he is having dinner with a family who live in the town where murders have taken place, caused by a creature which changed it's appearance. The teaser is one of The X Files' most memorable, with an Easter egg hunt taking place along with a party in the back garden of one of the families living in the town.

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

I remember this episode Richard, excellentthumbsup.gif I thought it was very good. And speaking of Cliffhanger, excellent movie too. :)

Laura :)

Guest WaveCrest

I'm going to have to go pick up my copy of the official seventh season X Files guide book. My mind's gone blank on the crows.

Oddly enough, the crow is the only thing I could recall about the episode. Actually, crows, mirrors and Mulder talking about psychomantiums to be exact. It would be unfair of me to critique the episode as I can remember so little about it but I do recall be somewhat underwhelmed at the time and as I have only seen it once that tends to indicate to me that I didn't have an urge around that time to revisit it.

I should check it out though just to see if my assumptions are correct.

Eth

I can't remember Richard, I seem to recall a scene reminiscent of The Birds in which a crow was attacking one of the actors and maybe images of a crow flapping about in the reflection of a mirror but I could well have formed those memories from what snippets remain.

I found my season seven boxed set yesterday so I will give the episode an airing over the weekend and get back to you on what I thought about it.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

I'd like to start threads for other seventh season episodes, so it would be great to read your comments Mark on "Chimera" and other episodes from that season.

I know Crows have always been associated with death and darkness. Some Crows symbolize an omen. In the movie Cold Mountain, at the end as Jude Law's character is walking home in the snow a crow flies over him and up the path he is walking. Soon after Jude Law dies thereafter. So the Crow may represent the on coming of evil and death of the Chimera