David Duchovny talks XF3

Rate this topic

I thought it had been a little quiet in the land of X-Files of late but David Duchovny has changed all that by chatting, once again, about his hopes to play Fox Mulder one more time. I don't know about you folks but I can't help shake the feeling that Frank Spotnitz seems less enthusiastic about the prospect of a third movie of late when responding to blog posts of late. He seems to have shifted from 'sure it will return' to 'hopefully it will return' so I wonder if the word on the street isn't as positive as they had hoped. Anyhow, here's the blurb from the MTV blog:

"The X-Files: I Want To Believe" hit theaters in 2008, the latest attempt to bring back Chris Carter's classic science fiction TV series. It wasn't a box office smash, but Carter -- who has previously indicated that he'd do a third movie if the second did well enough to warrant it -- later confirmed that "I Want To Believe" performed well enough to "theoretically" allow for a sequel.

MTV's Larry Carroll spoke with David Duchovny -- aka Fox Mulder -- last week at the press junket for this week's "The Joneses," which he stars in. The actor didn't have much to say about "X-Files 3," but he'd "love" to come back for more. He also made some interesting comments about how it feels knowing "The X-Files" inspired some to go into law enforcement. Hear Duchovny talk about the classic series in the video below then check out the full report on MTV.com.

You can view the video of David speaking here.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

I hope a third X Files movie is made. They need to get it made for a cinema release in 2012, what with the 2012 part of the mytharc.

Well 2012 seems to be the date that is being mooted by Frank Spotnitz. I shall add my crossed fingers to the legions of crossed fingers waiting for this. I actually think this film will do far, far better than the last which goes against what you would expect I guess. One individual wrote to Frank recently and made mention of the unnecessary secrecy behind the first movie being a contributory factor behind its moderate success and I couldn't agree more. Very few people were talking about XF2 because very little was given that people could talk about. It had the potential to be a word of mouth movie if they had given us some words to use.

XF3 will clearly feature the alien colonisation plot-line and whilst there are bound to be a few surprises fans will definitely know the territory of the third film even if they don't know the specifics. I predict there will be much more discussion, much more anticipation this time around than last and I hope Ten Thirteen stoke the flames this time rather than douse them.

Bring it on!

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

I know which character I'd like to see in an XF3, and who it is may surprise you. I didn't like him at first, but as time went on and especially in his ninth season appearances (especially the first one) I thought he redeemed himself a heck of a lot.....

Jeffrey Spender.

Mark, I totally agree with every word you wrote, and especially "Bring it on."

Wouldn't it be awesome if Lance was cast as Frank Black, and one of the lead characters with Mulder and Scully? I'm dreaming big.

Guest WaveCrest

Even if it was just a glimpse I would love to see Mulder and Scully with Frank Black in Seattle (and maybe visit the yellow house).

Well I'm beginning to think the same way as you Richard. Ten Thirteen clearly has its heart set on XF3 for a 2012 release and if CC is to put pen to paper any time soon then it will be to that end. If a Millennium Movie is to be made then it will no doubt be after that time and though it pains me to say it, Lance may well be in his mid to late seventies by the time a MM movie is a real prospect. Considering the hype generated by Lance 'carrot dangling' about his possible role in XF2 then it seems sensible, for all sorts of reasons, to give him a cameo in XF3 and appease fans that way.

I would also like to see the return of Spender. I actually did enjoy him as a character and found Chris Owen's work on "William" to be particularly outstanding.

I'm still in the 'Doggett and Reyes' camp on this one though even if it's a cameo, a reference, an off screen meeting: anything that acknowledges their contribution to the show would be fine by me.

After the reception to the last movie I think we can comfortably predict that if XF3 gets made it will be X-Files Greatest Hits so there will be something to please everyone.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

I thought Chris Owens was great in the episode "William" as well. Even if it was an X Files greatest hits film that wouldn't bother me. And Doggett and Reyes must have a cameo at least. They made a worthwhile and memorable contribution to the series.

Agreed :thumbsup:

I was a huge fan of the X-Files when it was on air and not a single cast change bothered me in the slightest. I didn't lose my mind when David left, I like Robert immensely and thought he brought a fantastic dynamic to the show and I liked the addition of Annabeth Gish. I didn't understand the wringing of hands and wailing that was going on at the time.

I have to say, again, that the genius of Chris in William is that he captures the essence of David Duchovny so perfectly that you truly do expect it to be revealed at any time that the man beneath the scars in Mulder himself. I wasn't impressed with the resolution to the episode at all with regards to the alien-hybrid-reversal-injection-thang but other than that I thought it was a superbly written, and acted, episode.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

Is it ok if I copy and paste the part of your post about the episode "William" into a new thread in the X Files folder Mark? You said something in it which never crossed my mind when I watched the episode. I know sometimes I copy and paste yours and other people's posts into other existing threads or new threads, but I don't know, I just I'd best ask this time (no hidden reason).