David Duchovny talks XF3

Rate this topic

Sorry I missed the above Richard, you may copy and post what you like of mine. :clapping:

I was watching the extras for XF:IWTV yesterday and I noticed that FS and CC spoke about how they had been approached by Fox about the possibility of making an new X-Files film and then spent a few years chewing the cud with regards to the story before filming began.

Does anyone know if the approach from Fox was the precursor to the start of the writing process? The only reason I ask this is that if the plan is to get this on screen for 2012 then the process of developing the film has to be happening now right? That doesn't seem to be the case from what I can ascertain and I wondered if anyone knew what the current story with this project is?

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

Well if they want to get the script right it will take time, so the start of shooting could be in late 2011, like they did with XF2 (started shooting in December 2007 (source: IMDb.com)). But that depends on whether they would film in the snowy regions again. I would think they would go back to the sunnier locations used for Fight the Future. But that's just a theory.

I was watching the extras for XF:IWTV yesterday and I noticed that FS and CC spoke about how they had been approached by Fox about the possibility of making an new X-Files film and then spent a few years chewing the cud with regards to the story before filming began.

Does anyone know if the approach from Fox was the precursor to the start of the writing process? The only reason I ask this is that if the plan is to get this on screen for 2012 then the process of developing the film has to be happening now right? That doesn't seem to be the case from what I can ascertain and I wondered if anyone knew what the current story with this project is?

There were talks of a 2nd film ever since the 1st one was released. For scheduling reasons, it was decided it would only be made after the series would end, and that ended up being 2002. Carter & Spotnitz were saying that Fox was still interested to some extent. But then started a long story of a legal dispute between Carter and Fox, the exact contents of which I don't recall and I think nobody really knows about (I'm guessing DVD & syndication royalties. Money anyway :rolleyes: ). And the dispute wasn't settled before early 2007. So after that I don't know who approached who, but by mid-2007 there was a draft script and the official greenlight came in late 2007.

So all in all, from mid-2007 to July 2008, that's an amazingly fast production schedule by industry standards! If they want to do something bigger with XF3 (and perhaps do one or two rewrites before they really get it right), more than a year would be necessary. But a quick rule of thumb still places it at mid-2011 if they're aiming at a winter 2012 release. So like WaveCrest said, there's still some time left...

• 1 year later...
Guest Laurent.

I don't know... a feature length Jose Chung's From Outer Space might be brilliant as a sort of noir/SciFi/comedy. With the right writers (neither CC nor Spotnitz) and director (not CC), they could make it work. It would have to be old-school X-Files: small, dark, funny, intelligent. I could see it happen as a follow-up to the potential success of a third mythology-oriented film (by CC).

Excellent Laurent, you're right, I totally agree with the old school. Do you think Morgan and Wong would do it justice, or maybe Chil Johannessen or Erin Maher? Kay Reindl is another thought, she wrote Anamnesis and Midnight of the Century. She has a new book out called, ""In Obscura." Here's the link to the info about it that's on the MLM home page:

https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/