X-Files/30 Days of Night Comic Book Crossover

Rate this topic

X-Files investigators Fox Mulder and Dana Scully will collide with a brand new threat this July, thanks to a new series announced at this weekend's C2E2 convention in Chicago.

Written by "30 Days of Night" co-creator Steve Niles and Adam Jones, guitarist for the band Tool, the six-issue series will send FBI Agents Mulder and Scully to Alaska just in time for the long season of darkness to take over the region। While investigating a strange murder, the pair discover (as usual) that all is not what it seems in the case.

"I'm a huge 'X-Files' fan, and when the crossover was presented to me, I lunged at the chance," said Niles. "It's actually a very good match, I think, because the vampires in '30 Days' have a real-world feel to them, they are not affected by crossed or garlic or any of the common folklore which lends itself nicely to the 'X-Files' universe."

Veteran artist Tom Mandrake ("The Spectre") will provide interior art for the series, which pairs DC's Wildstorm imprint with "30 Days" publishers IDW Publishing। Wildstorm has provided Splash Page readers with the first at the standard cover to the series, created by Andrea Sorrentino. Variant covers by Tom Mandrake and Sam Kieth ("The Maxx") will also be available.

Sources:

https://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/04/19/x-files-30-days-of-night-comic-book-crossover/

https://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/04/18/x-files-30-days-of-night-comic-first-look-mulder-scully-vs-barrow-vamps/

post-1240-127171170623_thumb.jpg

Guest WaveCrest

That front cover artwork is way, way cool! I'd read about this new X Files comic book series a few weeks ago on TIWWA's forum (after asking about it), read about it whilst on horror film/TV/comic news website ShockTillYourDrop a few days ago. There is some more detail above compared to the STYD news article (plot and any possible covers info (*), and front cover artwork for one of the covers).

Many thanks for sharing this Blackoil! :thumbsup:

(*) I was expecting there to be just one cover, in line with the last X Files comic book series (Issue 0 and 1 to 6). So this is a surprise! :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for sharing this Juri and what an intriguing concept. As this is evidently not the comic that Frank Spotnitz spoke about it I wonder if that is still on schedule to be released this year?

30 Days Of Night is a great film but decidedly different in tone to the that of the X-Files and I wonder how they are going to write a story that satisfies the sensibilities of both. It's definitely something I will be checking out.

Can't wait to see the first interior art and I really like Sam Keith's work on The Maxx so I'm excited about his variant cover also. :thumbsup:

Eth

Some months ago Frank Spotnitz wrote in his blog that the comic book he co-penned with Gabe Rotter will be published at the end of the year.

As for this crossover comic book, I find it very intriguing. I've read 30 Days of Night comic and I've seen the movie based on the book and I really enjoed both of them.

Now for the obligatory whiner:

A crossover? Really? I'm all for new XF material and comic books, if done well, are a good media with a long tradition. But is it really necessary to milk the brand for all it's worth with crossovers? That's mercantilization at its worse. They're not even trying to hide the fact that they're trying to make a profit out of two independently successful names. Ah, it'll sell anyway.

I hope Spotnitz & Rotter's story is not a crossover.

I'm not to bothered if they go they way of crossovers once in a while as long as the integrity of the show is maintained and that's where my spider sense went a little zingy. The two things are very different beasts and it will be interesting to see what happens when world's collide.

Part of the problem with cross-overs for me is I generally find myself reading them and wishing they were more of one than the other and I'm sure it will be the same for X-Files fans who would prefer an XF story or 30DON fans who would prefer their universe unsullied by Mulder and Scully.

I know Frank Spotnitz mentioned at his blog that he was intrigued to see how this works and I read that as my own initial how-on-earth-will-that-work reaction but I'm a Millennium Fan, I see deeper meaning everywhere. :whistling:

They can still have my money because I want to know if it will work or not and I am excited to see the outcome if no wholly convinced the concept is a great idea.

Eth

Or lose, lose if you get too much of one at the expense of the other or if both concepts are tinkered with in order that they can sit on the same page comfortably. That's the sticking point for me with cross-overs. I remember Marvel comics doing a hideously ill-conceived cross-over that featured Doctor Who and some sort of big Transformer thing called Deaths Head. Obviously the concept from the start was tainted with 'never the twain shall meet' as the clash between the two concepts so glaring it simply couldn't work. I don't think the clash here will be as profound but I'm still wondering how they will pull it off without it reading like bad fan-fiction.

I did a bit of browsing and found what I think may be the first look at some of the interior art from the comic. I have to say it doesn't wow me but it's perfectly acceptable. Take a look here.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

Just had a look at the link you posted Mark. It's not too bad, kind of inbetween the artwork in the "Pilot" and "Squeeze" adaptations and issue 0 of the 2008 comic which came out before the six issue series in the same year/beginning of 2009.