By The Numbers: 2

Rate this topic

Guest Snapper

Pick your favorite  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

This is an easy one. "Beware the Dog" is one of my all time favorite episodes. I have to admit, Gehenna is good, but not a real standout episode for me. "Beware the Dogs", however, is about as good as it gets. It has been a while, but I believe this is the first episode that the "old man" appears in, and I loved that character. In addition to the general mood of this episode, it is really a pleasure to see all of the quirky characters and how Frank reacts to them. I really can't think of the words to describe Franks character, but he reminds me of some of the Clint Eastwood characters ... like he is the lone voice of sanity, strength, and rationale among all of the craziness. It's hard to put Frank Black's character into words, but the acting of Lance and the writing for the character are brilliant combination. The mood that was created in this episode was perfect, as well as the mystery and unpredictability. Exegesis is good, but not in the same league as the other two. Just my humble opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

In season 3 I have seen Watts being very confused. Most of the confrontations between Watts and Frank are full of emotions and the scenes are "directed" and shown in a way Frank sees them. We don't know what happenned to Watts during a few months when Frank "recovered". In "The Time Is Now" Watts disappeared. We don't know what happenned and so does Frank.

I think that confusion in which Watts was presented became annoying also for the writers and this is why we have the episode "Collateral Damage". It shows that Peter is torn. He doesn't know which were to go. He seems to be going away from the group but he can't, something stops him.

I have to mention that I haven't seen last seven episodes of season 3. Some of my thoughts might be explained in those episodes. But those are my reflections for now. I have seen the season only once, so I might missed some clues.

Speaking of poll, my number one this time is "Gehenna". The second place goes for "Beware of the Dog". The third place - "Exegesis" - some misunderstanding episode.

...damn, i'm tempted to send you the last seven eps! Seriously, though, after the pitiful Human essence the writers/producers/directors/actors were on a thermal nuclear explosion of creativity that propelled them right to the end of the season. The final 7 eps are some of the most astoundingly brilliant eps in the entire canon, IMHO. Can't wait to hear your thoughts when you've finally seen them!

~se7en :ouro:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Gehenna.

Simply because it is one of my all time favourites. 'Beware of the Dog' is a very good episode (one of my favourite S2 episodes) but it lacks the raw intensity and emotion of 'Gehenna'. 'Exegesis', whilst not as bad as many say, isn't really in the same league as the other two however.

• 1 month later...
Guest TragicWhiteKnight

'Beware Of The Dog'

'Gehenna' had the excellence of Jordan's dream and awfulness of Mike's microwave mishap. He's the guy who brought Frank into the group, and not Peter, right? I wish he was mentioned again during Frank's turn against Millennium.

I've had to skip most of the Evil!Watts discussion, since I'm in the middle of S3 at the moment, so I hope I'm not just repeating what everyone else has already said. And thought I knew Watts and Frank fell out I thought they'd at least bother explaining why. I mean, Watts gets demoted, rebels against the group and gets shot by them - now suddenly he's the poster boy for the Millennium Group. I can forgive the other crappy changes in Innocents as being part of an attempt to revamp the show, but this one's just plain awful writing.

'Exegesis' was an improvement on Innocents since it had a theme other than 'Force Majeure' characters die a lot. This aired around the same time as the Season 6 premiere of the X-Files, right? Even though THEY'RE EXACTLY THE SAME EPISODE? Seriously: two FBI agents protect someone with special mental powers who is hiding in some kind of industrial complex being chased by well-dressed men with guns. But I did like the Watts/Jordan scene. And the butterflies. The idea of the oracles predicting the end should have been a good idea, if it hadn't played out in such a nonsensical way.

'Beware Of The Dog' is great. More Bobby Darin! An actual tense chase scene! Marilyn Monroe! An ancient Twin Peaks style evil! This one's probably in my Top 5, and definitely Top 10.

• 2 weeks later...
'Exegesis' was an improvement on Innocents since it had a theme other than 'Force Majeure' characters die a lot.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

• 5 months later...
I have to go with Gehenna, the whole atmosphere of it and getting the first glimpses of the setup in MM I feel defines the show, and in my mind, the true essence of the show. My all time number one, just for the indescribable feeling watching it left.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

right on...i found the creepiest sequence of any Millennium episode to be in Gehenna with Catherine seeing the shadow outside her house after tucking Jordan in, and then going downstairs to close the curtains and the camera filming from behind the bushes, as if someone/something was indeed at the house...put the shadow and the camera angle together, and it certainly does make a very good case that the intent to the viewer was one of being stalked/watched...still get chills with that sequence...

post-1098-1114880533_thumb.jpg

Guest arcanamundi

I had to go with 'Gehenna.' Its dark intensity is arguably unmatched by any of the other episodes in the series. My favorite aspects of 'Beware the Dog' are our introduction to the character of the Old Man, and how the citizens of Bucksnort kept calling Frank the new sheriff and he kept having to deny it. I am looking forward to giving S3 a fresh look, but I can't say I liked 'Exegesis' at all.

A lot of good commentary on this thread, insightful remarks about Watts, and about Season 3. :clapping:

• 7 months later...
Guest A Stranger

"Gehenna" for sure. It introduces the Legion storyline exceptionally well. It's filled with some really great dialogue and imagry. I'm still torn on both "Beware" and "Exegesis" in a few ways. "Beware" seems to take the show in the fairy-tale like direction that works on some levels but loses it's sense of reality. But it's a decent story. "Exegesis" just doesn't deliver or make the connections of the plot started in "The Innocents" to the "The Time is Now" convinicngly. The Frank/Watts scene is exceptional but a little confusing. But the overall story is weak, though it gets the series and specifically Frank, to where I think the writers/producers wanted to get.

• 4 months later...
Guest MrCox

"Gehenna" wins this round, there is no doubt about it for me! This episode is the perfect example how MM delivered intense stories with an extensive philosophical background. It introduces Legion, shows more of the mysterious Millennium Group (especially with Mike Atkins) and shows one of the most hair raising scenes of the show ever: The beast tearing Eedo apart! This is the first time you can get a sense of what really is happening in the MM world, that the devil as an evil force exists and corrupts man.

Of course "Gehenna" delivers some fine scenes for Catherine, Bletch and Jordan (I love that girl! And Brittany Tiplady was really perfect for that part!)

"Beware Of The Dog" also delivers a lot of philosophy but the story is rather weak and full of misplaced humour ("I'm not the sheriff" - yeah, that's funny). Don't get me wrong, I love the way the Morgans and Wong integrated a little bit if humour in the MM universe, but it doesn't work for me here. This episode could have been much more scarier with all these violent dogs, the mysterious role of the group and their goals. At least the episode is saved with the introduction of the Old Man. R.G. Armstrong is really great and with only 3 appearances a very memorable character (compare this with Baldwin or McClaren!).

"Exegesis" is just awful. Most bad episodes can be ignored (like "Human Essence") but this one is essential for the story arc of season 3 and it just doesn't work. There are plot holes as large as the missile silos, the premise is extremely weak (remote viewing???) and the role of the group doesn't fit into the show at all. The last point got better but in "Exegesis" the evil group thing is a shame! (Peter Watts must have been cloned, this is not the character we got to know in the first seasons!)

Did anyone ever think about the logic of this episode? The remote viewers let a plane crash to save one child? The group spread the virus to kill these women and killed none of them?? Why not simply execute them??? (In German we say "Mit Kanonen auf Spatzen schießen".) I think this episode is just rediculous and one of the worst ever produced!