Season 3 Extras

Rate this topic

Guest OS_

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Look at it this way.

You are given close on an hour in which to tie up a three Season show with a complex mytharc. Your viewers will likely not know any of the backstory, the characters or why they should be interested in finding out more. It MUST include Mulder and Scully, it MUSt include Frank Black and it aims to bring some kind of closure to Millennium. How do you do it? Well, the angle they tried to take was that they introduced Frank as someone to feel pity for, separated from his daughter etc Good move as one of the keystones of Millennium was to empathise with Frank and care about what happened to him. Next they needed to introduce the Millennium Group... problem.

There is NO way you can adequately portray the Group in such a short space of time, along with all it has meant to Frank, what he did etc. Not when needing to address such things as plot and story etc. So they take the only real option - the Group is now defunct and will not play an important part. X-Files fans won't have noticed anything wrong, Millennium fans are now leaping into the air with outrage. Oh dear...

Closure for Millennium meant playing out the year 2000, end of the countdown etc. The world didn't end, Frank Black is reunited with his daughter, the MLM Group's big plan is revealed and foiled. Okay, their plan is ridiculous but what else can you do? MLM always trumped up the end of the countdown as Doomsday - something had to happen! Plus the X-Files demands a certain level of action so...

Overall, I agree it was more harmful to include this episode than not. But it exists and is actually very liked by the X-Files community. It is a very poor end for Millennium but like I said, it was an X-File, not Millennium.

........that's actually kinda my point, though. You're given 44-minutes to bring closure to an entire series on a different show? "DON'T BOTHER".....LEAVE IT ALONE. ...maybe it's a bit different in the U.K. but the episode isn't very well regarded here.

...it's just something that Carter should have had the common sense to never even do. And he has no one to blame but himself for allowing it to happen and then being all surprised at how shitty it turned out and how pissed off it made 98% of the fans.

And then to put that 44-minutes of horse-sh*t on the S3 set is the ultimate slap in the face...........because it not a MM episode.-(it's right up there with "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstien".)- For me this crap makes "The Time is Now" look like art!

...but, alas, my grumblings will not change anything. Whenever i get the S3 set i'll simply excise it from the set, like the tumor it is, and then move on. "Goodbye To All That" remains the last official episode of the series, at least that won't change.

Take Care,

se7en :ouro:

Guest A Stranger
Season three outside artwork (R2):

B0002OI06U.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Looks like the official designers stole their ideas from Seven's DVD-R designs for season three! It is very strange they just happen to use blue as well since it had never been used in the series' promos. :eyes:

Guest A Stranger
Look at it this way.

You are given close on an hour in which to tie up a three Season show with a complex mytharc. Your viewers will likely not know any of the backstory, the characters or why they should be interested in finding out more. It MUST include Mulder and Scully, it MUSt include Frank Black and it aims to bring some kind of closure to Millennium. How do you do it? Well, the angle they tried to take was that they introduced Frank as someone to feel pity for, separated from his daughter etc Good move as one of the keystones of Millennium was to empathise with Frank and care about what happened to him. Next they needed to introduce the Millennium Group... problem.

There is NO way you can adequately portray the Group in such a short space of time, along with all it has meant to Frank, what he did etc. Not when needing to address such things as plot and story etc. So they take the only real option - the Group is now defunct and will not play an important part. X-Files fans won't have noticed anything wrong, Millennium fans are now leaping into the air with outrage. Oh dear...

Closure for Millennium meant playing out the year 2000, end of the countdown etc. The world didn't end, Frank Black is reunited with his daughter, the MLM Group's big plan is revealed and foiled. Okay, their plan is ridiculous but what else can you do? MLM always trumped up the end of the countdown as Doomsday - something had to happen! Plus the X-Files demands a certain level of action so...

Overall, I agree it was more harmful to include this episode than not. But it exists and is actually very liked by the X-Files community. It is a very poor end for Millennium but like I said, it was an X-File, not Millennium.

Sorry, man. I don't think that just becuase they couldn't think of something good and you can't think of something good that they should have made something bad. If they really couldn't find an adequate story without feeling that they were doing a disservice to what MM was/is then they shouldn't have at all. XF fans who never watched MM walk away with the wrong impression.

Carter was able to address all the issues that made MM what is was at the time in the Pilot episode. He touched on the Group, Frank, what he does, and what the millennium represents/is about. The show did this countless times. They didn't even have to try and adress all those issues necessarily. I would have been happy with a Frank driven storyline that closed the book on him in a sense, which is what i think MM was about more than the event.

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Bottom line - it was made to entertain the Millennium watchers second to the X-Files crowd and you have (or seem to have) a hard time accepting that and that it shouldn't have been done at all. The story isn't that bad really - it just doesn't feel right as a Millennium story. It works fine and I repeat, is well regarded as, an X-Files story. I like it as an X-File, despise it as a Millennium closer, like I said. Basically, it seems that most MLM fans just consider it sacrilege which maybe it is. But it does offer some kind of ending and entertained the main target audience (because let's face it, this was probably more designed to make MLM fans like the XF than vice versa).

It puts me in a difficult situation because I agree with both parties - XF and MLM. From a different mindset I can appreciate it (I watch it regualrly as part of my XF viewing) and still be annoyed/outraged about it when considering MLM. Overall, it probably shouldn't have been made but it was and I'm glad/annoyed/happy/irritated that it was.

Guest Regan MacNeil

That season 3 cover looks awesome! I hope the U.S. version is blue too.

As far as the whole X-Files crossover is concerned, I don't think anyone should be too worried about it. It's just a bonus feature. I don't think it's being presented as the final episode of Millennium or anything, it's just a novelty they threw in with the special features.

As a Millennium episode, the crossover sucked. It didn't bring closure to the series, but to me, it's just fun to see Mulder, Scully, and Frank working a case together.