Voting Problems

• Elders (Admins)

This is from https://notalwaysright.com, and I'm not always sure whether the contributions are real. But this one made me wonder:

Apparently from a polling/voting station in the UK:

(A young girl of 18 or 19, clearly a first-time voter, skips the line and rushes up to my table.)

Me: "I'm sorry, you'll have to wait. There's a line."

Voter: "I'm sorry, but it's important! I need to get my ballot paper back. I voted for the wrong person!"

Me: "Alright, give me the spoiled one."

Voter: "I can't. I put it in the box."

Me: "Then I'm afraid we can't get it back. The boxes can't be opened until the end of voting at ten o'clock."

Voter: "But I didn't know! I don't want the Conservatives to get in so I voted for [Conservative candidate]. I should have voted for someone else!"

Me: "Um, why did you vote for the Conservative?"

(The girl turns scarlet and looks utterly miserable.)

Voter: "I thought it was like TV where you vote them off!"

• Like 1

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

:clapping: Oh this is priceless.

Here's my thing. I know we leave our political leanings on the TIWWA welcome mat but I hope I hope I can touch on an issue in connection with this that doesn't have a partisan theme.

In the UK we deliver a mandate to a political party to govern. We don't elect an individual to office. This is the reason why a Prime Minister can step down midterm (as did Tony Blair) and be replaced without the need to go back to the people to secure a mandate to govern. During this latest election campaign, our erstwhile party leaders were thrust into the spotlight (in the case of some of them dragged kicking and screaming) as the nation was gripped by a fervor akin to that seen by the likes of "Britain's Got Talent" (which has a dancing dog in the running to take the crown I'm told this year, speaks volumes doesn't it) and "X-Factor". I'm a political nerd. My greatest aim in life is to hold in my hands a "This Week" mug or gaze upon the countenance of Andrew Neil in person and almost all the political commentators decried this new form of campaigning as reducing something lofty to the likes of "Big Brother". My dear Mother (who votes because my Father takes her to the polling station and she doesn't have anything else on) was very taken with Mr. Clegg. She was, in her words, going to vote him in and vote the other men out. She wanted to know if she could do this by text instead of putting off her hairdressing (which she had booked for the Thursday) to go to the polling station.

Bless her. :bigsmile:

Eth

• Like 1

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Elders (Admins)

Briliant Libby, what a sad reflection on this modern world of endless talent shows!

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

More proof as to how confused and programmed the world is becoming. Who, what, when, where, how, and why have been thrown out with the baby's bath water.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Mark that makes perfect sense to me, why not be able to just text in your vote? This is the age of technology right? and those hairdressing appointments are hard to get. lol Viva Ma Hayden!:notworthy: Was that the one Mr. Clegg that i thought was pretty hot?

Laura :)