William

Rate this topic

Guest WaveCrest

Guest WaveCrest

Have just done a TIWWA forum search and there are no existing threads for the episode "William".

To start off, part of a quoted post by Mark:

I have to say, again, that the genius of Chris in William is that he captures the essence of David Duchovny so perfectly that you truly do expect it to be revealed at any time that the man beneath the scars in Mulder himself. I wasn't impressed with the resolution to the episode at all with regards to the alien-hybrid-reversal-injection-thang but other than that I thought it was a superbly written, and acted, episode.

Eth

I didn't realise this, and so it has shed new light on those scenes in the interrogation room and the other scenes with the disfigured stranger in them. This episode was one of the highlights of the ninth season for me. There has been much criticism of the eighth and especially the ninth season (sorry if I sound like a cracked grammophone record, but that's what it was like back when these two seasons aired). But anyway, I don't want to linger on that aspect of the feelings towards the last two seasons. There were some cracking episodes in the last season, and "William" was one of them. I hope William returns in XF3 if it gets made. This part of the X Files mytharc needs to be resolved.

"William" is a superb episode up until the point that Spender makes William normal again by injecting him with magnetite. That was a lazy, sloppy and rushed resolution to the mysteries surrounding William but other than that I loved it. Chris Owens was particularly good in it.

Eth

"William" is a superb episode up until the point that Spender makes William normal again by injecting him with magnetite. That was a lazy, sloppy and rushed resolution to the mysteries surrounding William but other than that I loved it. Chris Owens was particularly good in it.

Eth

I am in total agreement with you Mark on every count, especially regarding the rushed resolution.

I'm probably being disingenuous Darlene but I distinctly remember that scene dragging me right out the narrative. The only way I can explain it is that there was such a tension throughout the ninth season with regards to the safety of William and what his true origin was as well as what he truly was. I just feeling it was all a little too convenient to wave it all away in the episode in the manner that they had done. I accept they didn't have the time to dawdle and they had to resolve the arc somehow but I don't like 'magic potion' endings to any story and a 'magic injection' was not far off. Again, that might be an unfair assertion to make but the rest of the episode was so well crafted and the intrigue was maintained so well I wanted a bolder, braver ending than that. As with all things, what the viewer wants to see should have no bearing at all on what the writers write though should it?

Eth