Anemnesis

Rate this topic

Guest Willious

Guest Seraphim
Gnostic nonesense!  You might as well think Dan Brown is really deap, and has uncovered a lot of "hidden" history.

Of course "the church" tried to get rid of gnostic teachings.  It was a b*******ization of their religion. If there was a group out there saying that Frank Black wasn't the main character in MLLM, but it was really all about his wife, you might try to get rid of theri nonesense too.

I don't mean to dismiss gnostiscism; people have a right to believe as they wish, but don't misinterpret their veiws as the true gospel that the church tried to cover up.  There is scant evidence of an historical Jesus, let alone evidence that he fathered children.  At best it is pure speculation.  At worse it is an attempt to undermine the work of God.

I kept thinking the show was going to be about Frank's wife discovering his new love interest.. ha.  The story would have been better with Frank.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it is presumptuous to call Gnostic writings nonsense unless you are willing to call some canonical books nonsense. The Canonized Bible is missing many texts that Christ quoted. The Bible was not handed to man by God in it's current form. It was made by assembling many books that had been written by different people. The Church was selective with what it used from the underground Christian groups. Catholic Orthodoxy was a b*******ization of Christianity. It's a house of cards even to this day. Gnostic Christianity is thought have pre-dated that Orthodoxy. The Da Vinci Code is, however, a bad place to go looking for support of Christ having descendants. The better books, that are meant to be actual studies and not novels, are Holy Blood, Holy Grail and The Messianic Legacy. I would not call Jesus having offspring trying to undermine the work of God. If anything, organized Christianity has been doing that for a long time. The Crusades, Inquisition, Clergy Corruption, Persecution of anyone who lacks the same exact dogma, etc.. All the way up to the war supporting, nature raping, know-it-all, and judgemental Christian Right of today. If anything, many like to forget what Christ taught, then turn around and wave it around when it is convenient. Though, perhaps it is arrogant for any man to claim to understand God. For if we can, then he is not quite as omniscient as we think. And if that is the case, perhaps we should be wondering... Who is God's God?

• 3 weeks later...

The episode is currently on, and during the first commercial break I thought I'd check out what you all think of the episode - which turned out to be somewhat of a mistake because I got all caught up in your postings and didn't pay much attention to the show. Next time I won't do that. (The VCR is running though and I will watch the ep later tonight.)

What I find, well, somewhat entertaining - as some of you mentioned Mr. Brown (who's been heading the bestseller lists here for months, too) - is the recent interest so many take in conspiracy theories, especially around Christianity. My sister, too, gorges Brown's novels and everything that has a similar flavor to it: Knights of the Templar, the Illuminati, descendants of Christ (I should probably use this episode to make her a fan of MM, too.) ... It's hip, a fashion, a flavor-of-the-week-thing similar to the UFO-histeria around TXFs a decade ago. Where does that come from, I wonder ...

(I, too, have to admit that at times I am quite susceptive to such fashions. It's almost as if to turn away from one's own problems to certain more universal, more fundamental questions ... but why?)

About the episode: The beginning really is gripping. (I think the show's editors have always done a great job in bringing music and images together. Personally, I consider the opening theme one of the best ever.)

And Catherine and Lara really do carry the episode. It's an interesting twist to the show to do an episode without one character in a show which is, to a very large degree, based upon that character. (And what might Frank have done in the meantime?)

There's one thing I still wonder about: the title. (Here and translated back into English, it is, "Clare's Way" (still a rather good example for German episode titles). ) I know what "Anamnesis" means and where it has its origin, but I wonder whether it also refers to anything specific in Christian mythology (which I am not very familiar with).

According to the Concise Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church, anamnesis is:

The commemoration of the Passion, Resurrection, and Ascension of Christ, which in most liturgies is included in the Eucharistic Prayer after the Words of Institution.

Which I suppose. really doesn't answer your question about a mythological slant to it. :) It's funny, I like this episode a lot, but being pretty much an atheist, I always cringe about stories of visions of Jesus on a tortilla or in this case, kids seeing Mary, etc etc. Always have to remember to turn on the suspension of disbelief when watching TV. Regarding the attraction to conspiracy-type theories, I think a lot of that was precisely because of the upcoming millennium, but given that it's 2005, what's the deal?

I've always found things like that mildly-to-very interesting myself depending on the subject matter, (hell, I DO love Millennium and the X-Files) but always from a literary/entertainment standpoint. Believing in conspiracies is a whole other thing altogether. Except when talking about the current US admin. Heh.

Guest arcanamundi
I've always found things like that mildly-to-very interesting myself depending on the subject matter, (hell, I DO love Millennium and the X-Files) but always from a literary/entertainment standpoint. Believing in conspiracies is a whole other thing altogether. Except when talking about the current US admin. Heh.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude, that's what I'm sayin' -- Bush is a Bonesman!

But about the title, I think 'Anamnesis' is what the girl Clare is experiencing in the episode. Isn't 'anamnesis' a Greek term meaning 'loss of forgetfulness'? I recall reading that somewhere. So Clare's spiritual experience might be an awakening of sorts, a recollection of her divine nature.

She does indeed mention the 'Alpha and the Omega' to Catherine, and does indeed directly refer to the Polaroid man who, she tells Catherine, told her the truth.

So is the 'truth' that 'God' is behind both good and evil appearances, that he is the beginning and the end, as the transcendent power and ultimate unity behind all sacred and profane, daemonic and holy manifestations? I dunno; I'm just riffin' here. But if it is a line from Revelation, how has it been interpreted by Christians?

One more thought: the Millennium Group in this episode reminds me of the Talamasca, the secret society in Anne Rice's occult mythos. They watch and they wait. They refrain from interference. Their secret knowledge gives them a context for the hidden significance of events. So they they chronicle & record.

"D'ya hear that Condi, he said bone, yee haw!"

But you hit on something with that Greek...um, recalling, remembering something previously known, I think that's it (though I'd have to look it up on the internets).

Which links up nicely with a lot of the season two stuff, how Peter was looking for the hand of St. Sebastian, recovering that old knowledge.

...um, recalling, remembering something previously known, I think that's it (though I'd have to look it up on the internets).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, you're right ... it comes from Plato. (The internet is such a mysteriously wonderful place ...)

Anamnesis is true soul-memory, intermittent access to the divine wisdom within every human being as an immortal Triad.