Gillian Anderson Vs Nicole Kidman

Hi folks,

An interesting bit of news courtesy of The Press Association that states that Gillian Anderson and Nicole Kidman are set to appear in rival films about Martha Gellhorn. From what I can gather this has been something that Gillian has been working on for an age and thought it states Gillian bought the rights this in 2008 I am sure she has been talking about the project at her website for much, much longer.

Nicole Kidman and Gillian Anderson are set to appear in rival films about war correspondent and novelist Martha Gellhorn.

Oscar-winner Nicole has just been signed up along with Clive Owen to star in Hemingway And Gellhorn about one of American literature's most famous couples, Deadline Hollywood reveals.

X Files star Gillian's company bought the rights to Caroline Moorehead's biography Gellhorn: A Twentieth-Century Life in 2008 and hired Sharman Macdonald to write a feature adaptation for Gillian to star in as Gellhorn.

James Gandolfini is producing Hemingway And Gellhorn, which he has been working on for six years now and was originally attached to star in himself.

Philip Kaufman will direct from a script by Barbara Turner and Jerry Stahl and filming is due to start in Northern California next year.

Ernest Hemingway was already a literary legend when he met Gellhorn, a novelist and one of the greatest war correspondents of the 20th century, in a local bar in Key West in 1936.

Their tumultuous romance and subsequent five-year marriage took them to the Spanish Civil War, and Gellhorn's competitive nature inspired Hemingway to pen one of his most famous novels, For Whom The Bell Tolls.

Copyright © 2010 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

Related articles

Could be interesting to see two very different takes on the same subject but I rather fear Nicole will steal Gillian's thunder. Such a shame that both are due out at the same time.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be interesting to see two very different takes on the same subject but I rather fear Nicole will steal Gillian's thunder. Such a shame that both are due out at the same time.

Eth

I totally agree, it is a shame, but I bet Gillian's will be better and less theatrical. I can only assume that the budjet for Nicole's movie is higher. I'm not a big fan of Nicole because she doesn't always fit every part she plays, and often doesn't sell it to me either. Sorry guys, her beauty doesn't sell a part. The beautiful Gillian on the other hand, I feel, is a much better actor, and I'm hoping the general public also sees it. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, and especially to see which one is released first. That very well could be the deciding factor.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Us redheads have to stick together but i prefer Gillian, now i do love Nicole, loved her in The Others but i connect more with Gillian she is beautiful but not Hollywood glamour beautiful like Nicole. Gilllian is more girl next door beautiful like me. lol :makingeyes: I will have to ask Frank about this. LOL He is in love with both, i will have to ask him which he would pick to be straned on a desserted island with. lol

Laura :)

Did you guys ever have the chance to see Bleak House? Gillian was absolutely superb in that and was rightly praised by television critics over here for her performance. She lost out on a Bafta to her co-star in the production, Anna Maxwell-Martin and if you ask me she was robbed. It should definitely have gone to Gillian.

I agree with you on the above points I struggle to find Nicole believable in some of her roles. That could simply be due to the size of her celebrity as often all I can see is her playing a character rather than becoming it.

That said, Gillian has an equally difficult task in not being seen as Scully in whatever role she is playing be she manages to pull it off in my opinion and is a much quieter, much more restrained actress and gives a very powerful performance without being obvious. I don't know what other folk think but I always thought she was head and shoulders above David in XF in terms of talent.

I hope her film gets a fair crack of the whip. If I see either of the two it will be Gillians.

Eth

josew.gif

Guest WaveCrest

I would see Gillian's film about Martha Gellhorn. I enjoyed her work in Playing by Heart (which has STILL not been shown on UK terrestrial TV) and The House of Mirth. When I started reading your post Mark (post #1) something in the back of mind made me think this was familiar, as I'm sure I read about this in the Gillian Anderson folder on the Idealists Haven a few years ago, among other possible projects (like the one whose name I can't remember, but I have the book of it somewhere (it might be what this film is based on), and The Speed of Light).

Thanks for sharing this Mark. :thumbsup:

They are two different projects my friend. "The Speed of Light" is a book by Elizabeth Rosner and Gillian had been developing it as a film with her in the producers role. Alongside this she has been working on the Martha Gellhorn biography for some time now.

Now I know she lost her work in a computer crash for one of the projects but I can't remember which one. I seem to think it was the Rosner project that got lost.

Either way I'm on Team Gillian for this one. Go Gillian!

Eth

josew.gif

Mark, I've seen Bleak House and yes, Gillian was superb in it. And I'm with you, if I see either movie it will be the one with Gillian.

Laura, I used to have red hair, now the grey is trying to take over. Oh well. Thank God for hair color. I did like Nicole in The Others, that was one part she sold. I also thought she did a good job acting in Australia, but I still would have preferred someone else. She just didn't match the awesome job Hugh Jackman did. You know, setting aside Marilyn Monroe, most of the real beauties have been either redheads, or auburn (reddish brown), like Susan Hayward, Maureen O'Hara, two of my all time favorites. Gillian joins them in my book.

Richard, Gillian did a great job in The House of Mirth, I've seen that one too.

Go Gillian. :swingin:

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Guest WaveCrest

They are two different projects my friend. "The Speed of Light" is a book by Elizabeth Rosner and Gillian had been developing it as a film with her in the producers role. Alongside this she has been working on the Martha Gellhorn biography for some time now.

Eth

I didn't think The Speed of Light was the same as the Martha Gellhorn project. I knew there was a second project Gillian had been linked with.