James Wong's "the Neighbor Number 13"

Blackoil

According to DreadCentral.com, James Wong will direct a movie called The Neighbor Number 13.

The Neighbor Number 13 centers around a young man who, after being traumatized as a boy due to the constant harassment of other children, seeks vengeance against his tormentors.

According to Wong, "I think we have found a very unique way to frame the story and bring a heroic twist to it that is fresh and surprising and will take audiences on a very thrilling journey."

The film, which is based on a manga series by Santa Inoue, is scheduled to begin production in late 2010, with a release set for the fall of 2011.

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/37530/james-wong-takes-bullies-violence-the-neighbor-number-13

news1013do7.jpg

btfbhalfbanneroc8.gif

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say this is a really bold move by James. I haven't seen the Dragonball film because I have never been a follower of the manga or the anime but I did happen to see the reviews and the mauling he received from fans of the franchise in respect of his movie and I had to stop reading to be honest. It was viscous in the extreme.

Tackling another manga adaptation so soon after is a brave thing to do and I wish him well.

I have read up on the synopsis of the original manga and it sounds brutal. Maybe this will be James Wongs "Ichi the Killer"?

I shall certainly be following this as it progresses.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

I think the bone of contention from fans of Dragonball was how the film took some creative diversions from the manga and anime. I believe changing the race of certain characters was one such example. From what I have seen online, fans and anime are the most vocal and passionate of any fanbase I have seen and if their ire is raised they waste no time in venting their spleen. This does present a disproportionate view of how a film is received when browsing forums though. People who enjoy something rarely feel the passion to log into IMDB and say so.

I might actually give this film a watch. Knowing nothing much about Dragonball should stand me in good stead for enjoying it for what it is.

Eth

josew.gif

Guest WaveCrest

I'm no expert on Anime and Manga, but I did some of Akira on VHS years ago. I've read about a lot of various Anime and Manga TV shows and films in SFX magazine over the last few years. Some of it looks really good. I read the synopsis of "The Neighbour - Number 13" above, and I just imagined it as a horror or thriller film. I didn't think of Anime and Manga when reading it. It sounds similar to one of the films in the latest After Dark Horrorfest series, a film called The Final.

Interestingly enough this has already been made into a film so it follows a long of line of adapting j-horror for western audiences. From what I can gather the first adaptation of the manga is a very violent affair and very brutal and I really hope James develops his own adaptation in the same way.

Eth

josew.gif