Tower Prep: Morgan Brothers' New Show

Rate this topic

Blackoil

I was even more surprised to notice that the director for the pilot episode is none other than British Director, Terry McDonough who cut his teeth on "Wire In The Blood", "The Royal", "Eleventh Hour" and "Breaking Bad" - again someone not used to working with material for the younger end of the market. With exception of Paul Dini, none of those involved in the show as far as I can see have had any experience in working with this type of material before.

Back in 2007, Cartoon Network made its first venture into live-action television with “Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!” The show finished up its fourth season in March and should return next year. Still, “Tim and Eric” is a sketch program at heart and very different than a scripted series with continuous story lines. Well, they’ve decided to take a risk by greenlighting “Tower Prep” and “Unnatural History.”

“These new series will offer our viewers a type of action-packed event entertainment not found anywhere else,” said Rob Sorcher, chief content officer of Cartoon Network. “We are looking forward to working with all of the great talent involved in these exciting new ventures, which we believe will be a powerful complement to our diverse and expanding array of original programming.”

“History” and “Prep” were both on Cartoon’s development roster announced last May at its upfront presentation to advertisers.

“Tower Prep” is an action thriller telling the story of a rebellious teen, Ian (Drew Van Acker), who wakes up one morning to find himself trapped at a mysterious prep school focused on tapping into the “unique potential” of its students. Ian forms a secret group with fellow students CJ (Elise Gatien), Gabe (Ryan Pinkston) and Suki (Dyana Liu) as they search for answers to where they are and how to get home. The pilot was executive produced and written by Paul Dini (”Lost,” “Batman: Arkham Asylum”), with Terry McDonough (”Breaking Bad”) directing. The series will be produced out of Cartoon Network Studios in association with Dolphin Entertainment.

Both are an hour in length, which should test the endurance of the network’s fans. Most of the network’s shows are only 10 minutes long, followed by a few commercials.

And this was the best synopsis of what the show is about that I could find. It almost has a "New Mutants" vibe about it methinks.

Tower Prep is new CN action-thriller, scripted series that will be packed with comedy, intrigue and action. The series tells the story of Ian Archer, who wakes up one morning to find himself at a mysterious academy for teens with heightened abilities. He forms a secret group with other suspicious students Gabe, CJ and Suki, intent on discovering what this place is and why they are there. The school, the kids and the teachers look like any typical, average academy, but nothing is typical here. Kids with special gifts and interesting backgrounds, teachers without names, ninja-like guards, a mysterious computer named Whisper 119 - all located who knows where. Tower Prep is definitely NOT as it appears!

Source: PremiumHollywood

Source: LaOfficeLongue

Hmmm. I've just read that UnNatural History could be facing cancellation. The show is the first of two live action serials the Cartoon Network has commissioned with "Tower Prep" being the second. The thinking is that the live action format has not fared well on a channel whose audience is primarily seeking animated content. From what I can gather they have already began to pull repeat airings of some of the episodes from the schedule to replace them with cartoons.

Let's hope that if this is the case that "Tower Prep" does much better.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

When I saw "Cartoon Network" I immediately thought Tower Prep would be a cartoon show and not be an adult/grown-up TV series.

• 1 month later...

1281030936.jpg

Well look here!

I have no idea how I missed this but Glen Morgan and Paul Dini (amongst others) appeared at the recent Comic-Con International in San Diego. There's a superb article here detailing the panel they appeared on with heaps of information about "Tower Prep". It's your must read for the day folks.

Enjoy!

Eth

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I stumbled across the website for this show (which cannot come quick enough if you ask me) and there's a few games, a video that I can't see thanks to my crime of being British and if you look at the top right hand corner there appears to be some sort of encryption to solve. I'm not very good at that sort of thing myself but if anyone else fancies a stab do tell us what it says.

Can anyone who can view the video say whether or not it is different from the trailers we have already seen? I'm curious.

Eth

Thanks Model, much appreciated. I have high hopes for this and I expect it to have a lot of cross-over appeal with an adult audience.

I have a feeling it might be a while till this comes to the UK (if it all) so I could end up watching this at Youtube I guess.

Eth

• 2 months later...