Tower Prep: Morgan Brothers' New Show

Rate this topic

Blackoil

Hi Kimon, nice to have you back with us.

I don't know if it is airing in the UK or not but it will be shown on The Cartoon Network if it is and that's a not a channel I receive in the bundle I subscribe to. I'm hedging my bets for a DVD release at some point. The reviews I've seen have been superb and though a number of them raised the similarities between aspects of this and "The Prisoner" many have stated that this has been unable to achieve what the recent remake failed to do which is to be interesting.

If anyone here has seen it I'd love to know what you thought.

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

I'd forgotten all about this show. But today I've downloaded the second episode (directed by our very own Thomas J. Wright). Of course, this isn't my normal type of TV show, but then I said that for years about Buffy.

I have now watched the episode but, as I've often done with other stuff I'd downloaded, I watched it in a small screen on my computer monitor, in the middle of the afternoon, and being interrupted several times. Not the best way to watch anything other than instructional videos - one of these days I'll remember that.

First of all, I'm obviously not part of the targetted audience, but I was at times reminded of boarding-school stories I read when I was school-age. However, those books were of the "jolly hockeysticks" variety (a reference which won't mean anything if you're not a Brit above an unspecified age), and my take on US high school has been somewhat influenced by Buffy. I felt I was trying to second-guess what this show is supposed to be about, which isn't damning it with faint praise, but more figuring out how to approach this show as a viewer.

Clearly there is something going on behind the scenes at Tower Prep, and it'll be interesting to see how that plays out. At this stage, however, it could be interesting to speculate whether Tower Prep is gathering together youngsters with special powers in order to make use of them or experiment on them, or whether it's to help them control their gifts and use them for good purposes.

A quote from series creator Paul Dini might help: "This was an idea that always intrigued me ever since I went to boarding school some years back. I wanted to take what is essentially a very nice experience, but play it up — cartooned it, if you would — to show off all the paranoia and the angst that a kid goes through and put it more in a fantastic world."

I'm not sure whether I'd follow this show should it come to the Cartoon Network here, but I'm not ruling that out.

I am sure, however, that I write crappy reviews. :pumpkin4:

• Like 1

I think you write great reviews Libby. It seems from what you have said that you might possibly agree with some of the statements I have read that have likened this show to Lost albeit Lost for the kids. It would seem the fathoming of exactly what you are watching and what the narrative is all about is what is the hook for this particular show.

I don't know what the following refers to specifically but I did see that someone congratulated Glen via Kristen's Facebook Page for all the accolades he is receiving for the show so I take it is it getting a positive response from 'insiders' as well as viewers.

Here's a review from Variety which gives the show a fine bill of health. I really hope I get the chance to see this.

Eth

https://www.variety.com/review/VE1117943849.html?categoryid=32&cs=1

• 2 months later...