Cyrus: Mind Of A Serial Killer

Rate this topic

Dear friends,

I have been keeping an eye on the development of this movie because it's one I really want to see. Lance has spoken very highly of it in interviews and from the trailer I have seen it looks very intense, somewhat akin to "Hostel" which most of you will know is one of my all-time favourite flicks. Just in-case you haven't seen the trailer I have shared it below.

Well here's one of the first reviews I have seen of the film and there are some great comments about Lance as one would expect.

Krause and Henriksen make up the bulk of the film and it’s their two performances that carry the entire thing. I can’t remember the last time I saw Henriksen being so subtle. I always think of him as this over the top, eyebrow raising, concerned and puzzled looking character. Here he seems a little bit older and a lot more calm. He’s got a creepy presence made all the more sinister by his very relaxed manner.

To check out the review head on over to this link and enjoy. Can't wait to see the film myself.

Eth

You know, I don't have to like a movie to enjoy watching as long as Lance is in it. I love criminal profiling. It was hard to hear and understand what everyone was saying with the loud music. Why do they do that? They ruined the trailer to me. Hope they don't do that throughout the movie.

It doesn't look like Lance is in the film that much, but he's a big name, so of course they put his name first.

I do agree, the music in this trailer is a tad higher for us to really hear what is being said...obviously the mixer wasn't walking the fine line of hearing the music and still hearing what the actors are saying in the quiet (interview) parts.

It does raise interest, but not very much. I wonder how much the film will be broken up between the documentary/interviews...how the structure will play out and if they even intersect.

From what I can glean (and I'm trying not to give away the twist as it was spoiled for me unfortunately) the recanting of the story of Cyrus by those who know him is essential to the denouement of the film. It's not there for the sake of it but because it's actually a device for deceiving the viewer a little.

Also, from what I can tell, Lance does have rather a lot of screen time although this is all in the form of narration.

I have to say, positive reviews all round from I have seen so far.

Eth

I'm wondering if the gore is short-lived to be honest Walkabout and simply bunged in the trailer to make it seem more graphic than it is. The only reason I think this is that none of the reviews I have read seem to make much of it being a gory movie. I had assumed it was something knee deep in it just like, as you say, the "Saw" franchise but it would be odd if that were the case and the reviews didn't make mention of that fact.

When I get a chance to see this I'll drop by and let you guys know how gruesome it is.

Eth

• 3 months later...

Here's a little report from Shriekfest folks which saw a screening of Cyrus as well as enjoying the attendance of Lance Henriksen. I believe two of Lance's films were part of the film festival, Cyrus and The Genesis Code but if I'm wrong please do point it out to me. I looked at the list of winners and neither film appears to have made the list of 2010 notables which is a shame. Anyhow, enjoy the coverage and join with me in wishing you could have been there too. :oneeyedwinK

Eth

Here's a fairly decent review for Cyrus by one of the team over at DreadCentral who were reviewing the film from the 2010 Gorezone International Film Festival. That said, the review also contains an even better review for Uwe Boll's latest film so you might be wise to reserve your judgement and see for yourself. Still it's a nice read and you will note that they mention that Lance has a decent amount of material to sink his teeth into in this film compared with a lot of other films he has been in of late.

Enjoy the read.

Eth

Guest Sidewinder

The positive review on Uwe Boll's Darfur shouldn't be necessarily a reason to lower your expectations on Cyrus, because most of his Boll's latest movies are not basing on videogames. They are much more dark, heavy, broody and strong than stuff like Bloodrayne.

I know the man is a controversial topic and the Boll-bashing-front in German-speaking cinema-forums still is very active but even his strongest critics had some nice words about movies like Darfur, Tunnel Rats and some others.