Cyrus: Mind Of A Serial Killer

Rate this topic

I think my posts suffers from a little ill-considered wording. Allow me. :embarassed:

I didn't suggest anyone raise or lower their exceptions to be honest I was simply being a fanboy by suggesting you shouldn't invest much faith in anyone who ranks a Boll film above anything our man is in.

As for Uwe Boll. I don't base my appreciation of his films on whether or not they originated as video games. I simply do not rate films in such a way so whether his latest films have been game adaptations or not doesn't affect my judgement. I find Boll's work extremely lacking and that includes his recent films which only serve to illustrate that his competence as a director has gotten a little better but he still lacks any degree of artistry or flair. Even in interviews he finds it hard to communicate the narrative's themes, motifs, overtures and underpinnings and it tends to lead me to conclude, as I suspect, that his films have none. He produces moving images. There's nothing deeper beneath the veneer.

I do hope you won't think me unkind about him. I don't like carrots very much either but I certainly don't hate hate them and am pleased others like them. :whistling:

That said I am biased as I'm always going to rank any film Lance is in higher than anything Uwe Boll has done whether I've seen it or not. :fool:

Eth

Guest Sidewinder

I do hope you won't think me unkind about him. I don't like carrots very much either but I certainly don't hate hate them and am pleased others like them. :whistling:

That said I am biased as I'm always going to rank any film Lance is in higher than anything Uwe Boll has done whether I've seen it or not. :fool:

Eth

No way. He really is a strange character and truly not a director I would call an artist. I only wanted to point out that he does make an evolution. His recent movies are (almost) all stories basing about real incidents. A case of brutal torture among prisoners in a German prison (Stoic, 2009), a rampage of a young guy (Rampage, 2010) and the much mentioned Darfur (2009). These are not the shallow, pointless stories he told before.

I met him last year at the same event I met Lance. You notice very fast that he is a clever businessman who likes to polarize people / an audience. I'm not a fan of his previous work. Most of it sucks for some reason. And like you I'm more into "a thinking man's movies". But he gets better and I don't think he's the second Ed Wood like some people call him.

Anyway; Cyrus should be more of an event for all of us! I'm looking forward that movie and hope it's well done. I read some material about the real background of the story and the real killer. Weird stuff.

Don't you think even his recent films show how lacking he is as a creative mind? His last three notable films have all been based on real events and all very similar in their premise. In all three occasions not only did he not have an original idea but he didn't write a single line of dialogue as all three films were created by the actors who improvised every single line and scene. Now I accept that directors direct and writers write and whilst there is some overlap between the two it isn't necessary but whether it's adapting existing concepts from games or retelling stories (on after another of late it would seem) or having your entire films in the hands of the actors - it's all very lazy and uninspired. It's all just a case of "...Right, I'll look up a story on wikipedia, print it off and have my actors do all the hard work..."

I'll change my mind about Boll when he has original idea. I fear hell may freeze over first. :whistling:

But, you're right. Let's get excited about Cyprus instead. I was surprised to read that the gore content for the film is quite low. From the look of the trailer it would almost seem that they were going for a Hostel vibe. I'm really delighted that Cyrus is evidently more cerebral.

Bring it on,

Eth

Guest Sidewinder

Don't you think even his recent films show how lacking he is as a creative mind? His last three notable films have all been based on real events and all very similar in their premise. In all three occasions not only did he not have an original idea but he didn't write a single line of dialogue as all three films were created by the actors who improvised every single line and scene. Now I accept that directors direct and writers write and whilst there is some overlap between the two it isn't necessary but whether it's adapting existing concepts from games or retelling stories (on after another of late it would seem) or having your entire films in the hands of the actors - it's all very lazy and uninspired.

Indeed, good point. You're absolutely right here.

It's all just a case of "...Right, I'll look up a story on wikipedia, print it off and have my actors do all the hard work..."

I'll change my mind about Boll when he has original idea. I fear hell may freeze over first. :whistling:

:biggrin:

But, you're right. Let's get excited about Cyprus instead. I was surprised to read that the gore content for the film is quite low. From the look of the trailer it would almost seem that they were going for a Hostel vibe. I'm really delighted that Cyrus is evidently more cerebral.

Me too!

As far as I know it was released on DVD in Australia in May and has been screened at two horror festivals but I have do idea when a general release is due. I think it's fair to say it won't go to the theatres and I couldn't find it on pre-order on Amazon so I guess it's a case of watch this space.

Eth

• 9 months later...

Sorry to say that, even though Lance's performance was awesome, as usual, I didn't enjoy the movie. He was in it all the way through telling a story about his killer friend to a reporter, but the gore in the story lost me. I didn't even see the end. Lots of blood, guts and gore is not my cup of tea. I can handle a little, but this was too much, Some people like watching a persone cut open another live person, take out their insides, then cut the rest of their body up. Not me. :yucky:

Mark Twain was right when he said that man is the lowest animal, and the only one that kills for the pleasure of it.

• 4 months later...
Guest Yatanis

Totally agree with you, Earthnut!

Lance was great, as always, but so far this movie is the most disgusting I had to see because of him... Just too much violence and naturalism (((