Did Mulder And Scully Also Run Into Lucy?

Rate this topic

Guest lollibomb

Hi all ,

I'm a new Millennium fan and new to this board and I have a question.....

In a ep of the X-Files ( season 5 ep 9 SCHIZOGENY) Lucy plays a child therapist named Karen who is killing the childrens fathers by sucking them down in the earth, at the end of the ep Mulder screams, "Karen stop" and Karen says in a very demonic Lucy way lol, "Karen is dead" . So my question is this, is this Lucy in disguise or just Chris Carter double casting actors he likes such as the actress who played Lara Means also playing a woman who was the reincarnation of Mulders wife from the civil war?

Thanks for your input!

Hi Lollibomb

As this is your first post at TIWWA allow me to offer you a warm welcome to the board and I hope your stay here is as enjoyable as mine has been over the years. :hiya:

I guess there are a number of different ways of looking at this. My hunch is that it was merely a case of re-using a great actress in a suitable role. As I was thinking about this I decided there were a number of arguments for and against such an idea, one being the sheer number of "Millennium" cast members who made appearances in "The X-Files" as different characters. I don't get the impression that it is implied in the episode that Karin is some way related to Lucy, I doubt many X-Files fans would have gotten the 'nod' at the time if it was. Not only did Ten Thirteen use actors in various roles within their franchises but they also used actors as different characters within the same franchise.

To date, Sarah-Jane Redmond has appeared "The X-Files" three times in three distinct roles. If you consider that "X-Files: Millennium" establishes a shared universe for the two shows she also inhabits the same universe as a fourth character, Lucy Butler.

It's the same with Terry O'Quinn who inhabits the XF/MM universe as Peter Watts, Darius Michaud, Lt. Brian Tillman and The Shadow Man.

Cloning I guess. :thumbsup:

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

Hi lollibomb and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup: Very interesting subject as this was one of my favourite fifth season X Files episodes when it was first shown in the UK (first on Sky 1, and then on BBC1 (The X Files was moved from BBC2 to BBC1 for the fifth season, when the show's ratings on BBC2 grew). It still is one of my favourite episodes from that season and the series as a whole. Loved the grim, moody look of the house and orchard.

• 1 month later...

Hi all ,

I'm a new Millennium fan and new to this board and I have a question.....

In a ep of the X-Files ( season 5 ep 9 SCHIZOGENY) Lucy plays a child therapist named Karen who is killing the childrens fathers by sucking them down in the earth, at the end of the ep Mulder screams, "Karen stop" and Karen says in a very demonic Lucy way lol, "Karen is dead" . So my question is this, is this Lucy in disguise or just Chris Carter double casting actors he likes such as the actress who played Lara Means also playing a woman who was the reincarnation of Mulders wife from the civil war?

Thanks for your input!

Welcome!

Schizogeny did have that "Millennium creepiness" to it. Season 5 is one of my favorite X-Files seasons. It has a really good mix of episodes. I have read that it was originally a "filler" season leading up to the first X-Files movie, which was reported to be finished prior to season 5, but I think it ended up being much more than that!

I think it was more of Chris Carter utilizing a good actress who already scared a lot of people in Lamentation. The more you watch Millennium, X-Files, and other shows shot in Vancouver, you'll see more of the same actors, most of which are pretty good. Some have played very different parts, which I think says a lot for them as actors. Who would have thought that Dr. Ephram Fabricant from Lamentation would also play a nerdy "Chinhead" in Andromeda ?!?! I recently picked up on Mike Starr (Henry Dion in Paper Dove) being in one of my favorite "Nowhere Man" episodes. He played a "good guy," so I missed it for awhile. That show was filmed in Portland, Oregon, which isn't too far from Vancouver.

Peace!

:rock2:

Now this is going a little off topic but I hope I'm forgiven.

When Sarah-Jane Redmond appeared as SAD Fossa in "X-Files: I Want To Believe" her character was a) named as a nod to the character she played in "Harsh Realm" and b) intended to have had a more substantial part than could actually be realised. I'm sure the latter info either came from CC or SJR but I can't remember who. I know there was some talk of her playing an enigmatic (even mysterious character) in the film and I'm also sure there was a press release that came out prior to the official announcement that another 'familiar' face would be joining the cast which left everyone guessing that it might be LH before SJR was confirmed.

Evidently she was intended to have done more than pass the phone to Scully but I wondered if it had every been revealed what plans they had for SJR that sadly didn't happen?

Eth

PS I always thought it would have been much cooler to have named her SAD Butler. Now that would have had "Millennium" fans wondering like never before right? :oneeyedwinK

From what I can gather she didn't film anything except what we see on the screen. I am sure Frank Spotnitz said that all the additional footage shot was either on the DVD or had been released later to the fans via Big Light (although he may have mentioned an extended version of 'Mulder looking through a locker' or something but the Philes will no more than I do.) It always struck me as odd than there appeared to be a little build up to her part and it was so inconsequential it really was a waste of a plane ticket and a superb actress. That's not a criticism mind, things don't always play out as planned but I would love to know what they had in mind for her.

Is her part elaborated upon in the novelisation at all? Does anyone know?

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

Is her part elaborated upon in the novelisation at all? Does anyone know?

Eth

I don't think it was any more than what we saw on the screen Mark. I'd have to check my copy of the novelisation.

Thank you Richard, I appreciate your help. I suppose we will have to hire Mabius to extract the information from Chris Carter ourselves eh?

I read this with interest at eatthecorn.com which is a section of Kimon's review of the film. He suggests an interesting idea that Sarah-Jane's character could well be significant in the next movie and her appearance in XF:IWTB was merely a case of foreshadowing. If that is the case then that would be superb. I can really see Sarah-Jane producing some exceptional work if she is given a role that has her character taking on the position The Cigarette Smoking Man used to hold for example.

I do hope we get good news about XF3 going ahead in the near future.

Eth

The door was left open for one last visit to the XF universe, an "XF3" that would wrap up the 2012 colonization mytharc. After a poor Box Office performance, Fox counts on the cult qualities of a franchise like the X-Files, that has a great sleeper hit potential with DVD sales, in order to greelight "XF3". In more ways than we may know, the ground was prepared for "XF3" in IWTB: casting 1013 alumni Sarah-Jane Redmond in the quasi-silent role of 'Agent Fossa', the FBI agent Whitney and Drummy answer to, surely makes her somehow significant to what will follow (is she a Supersoldier?). IWTB's obviously rushed script is quite pradoxical given the 6 years that were at the writers' disposal. It is sad to realize that this writing team could produce higher quality scripts in a shorter time and under much more stress, back when the show was on the air -- and this proof in the past is the only thing that still gives hope to "XF3".