Oklahoma Grandmother Gets Shocked By Taser, Sues El Reno Police

With all due respect, I just didn't have the heart to put this in The Donut Hole.

Grandmother Tased

Police are highly trained in self defense and how to subdue a suspect, and what's so pathetic about this is in one report the officers stated they feared for their lives. Here You've got to be kidding me. An 86 year old bedridden woman on oxygen, and these so called trained grown men/women fear for their lives? The lawsuit states there were 10 officers who pushed their way through the door. One good officer, knowing what he is doing, could have taken the knife from this grandmother without steppng on her oxygen hose, tearing the skin on her arm, or burning her chest with a taser. It's even reported that they stepped on her oxygen hose to slow her down. Pitiful to me. I don't have a knife next to my bed, but I do have a bat. i have no doubts that she grabbed the knife fearing for HER safety. And, they also handcuffed her grandson when he tried to stop them from tasing her, and he's the one who called for MEDICAL help, but instead got 10 police officers ready to rumble.

As an Oklahoman, I am embarrassed. :embarassed:

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heaven's above, what a sorry story.

I agree their response was heavy handed but my interpretation is not that they necessarily feared for their lives but because they feared for her safety as well as it would appear that she had already taken an overdose, was threatening to kill herself and others and was frantically wielding the means to do so during a psychotic episode. I am sure some of their actions were a misguided attempt to prevent her from slashing her wrists, or worse, and people in tense situations do act rashly. We should, of course, be able to expect better decision making from those who enforce the law but every story has two sides and I am sure there's a truth somewhere in the middle of both stories.

I do hope she receives the support she needs and an apology at the very least ought to be forthcoming.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png