My Final Xf Project (Transcripts, Etc.)

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

I have reworked my website. It now reads as follows:

I have combined a lot of XF episode information that I have into pdf files - one file for each season. Plus a pdf file of all the synopses.

The "seasons" files are large, so a pdf version makes it much easier to navigate through by using the bookmark facility.

If you are interested in these - please DOWNLOAD them (right-click and select the save option). My ISP places restrictions not only on the size of my website but also on the amount of traffic (bandwidth) so I don't want people to think this is a permanent source of information and keep coming back to re-read these. These files will be here for the next month or so and then will be taken down. I intend to use my website for other projects.

Once you have DOWNLOADED them, please subsequently share them around, including putting them on another website.

The "seasons" files contain:

—Transcript of every TV episode

—Transcript of DVD commentary - as applicable

—Notes for each episode - gathered over the years, but especially including Polly's Cherish the Past notes (The notes section also includes extracts from the official guides)

—Typed copy of Script - the few that I have

I have posted this also to the Haven, but I've said on my website that any possible updates will be posted either there or here.

There will be lots more space on my hard drive, once I've done that brave thing of emptying the recycle bin which contains what I'm absolutely sure are duplicates. :ermm:

• Like 1

This is absolutely superb Libby. Thank you so much for you hard work. I literally feel like a kid in a candy shop. I am currently reading the pdf for season nine as that is the season I have been invested in of late.

If anyone here needs the link to Libby's website and to where you can download these wonderful files it is here.

Libby, if you are closing your website do you want us to credit it with a link or not if we do share these elsewhere?

Eth

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Ooops, I forgot the link - thanks Eth.

No need for any crediting - and any link to my website would only be relevant in the future if I put up any TLG or HR stuff.

Quite honestly, seeing how much 1013 stuff I had here was making it become something of a chore to sort it all out (a bit like clearing the attic!) so it was good to get this done and get them out there on the internet for whoever wants them. Thereafter, it's a matter for other people to either host them or pass them on - I feel I've done my bit.

The "notes" sections do make for interesting reading, don't they?

It really is a fascinating read Libby. I really did enjoy the transcript of the audio commentary for "Jump The Shack" and was surprised to learn that a scene was filmed for "The Lone Gunmen" that dealt with Yves' backstory which was cut. I didn't particularly enjoy the backstory in "Jump The Shark", the whole Lois Runtz thing seemed too unremarkable and lacking in quirk and wit and I was happy to learn that she was intended to be British all along, that her real name was Esther and that her backstory was more in keeping with the charm and style of the show and the character. Frank spoke of including in on a LGM DVD if ever there was one but, as we know, that never happened. I would love to see that scene or even a transcript of it.

Now is it me or does FS come across a little M&W sceptical shall we say? He is at pains to stress that although M&W created The Lone Gunmen it was everyone else who imbued with them personalities. He points out that they wanted to kill Frokike and how unhappy this made everyone. When Vince talks about how well M&W were doing in their careers at that point he changes the subject to how well he did with the characters in his own show. Absolutely fascinating stuff if you like between-the-lines reading.

I'm also finding it fascinating to glimpse into the mind of a lady who appears to be a shipper and live the events of season though her eyes. She evidently is not a huge supporter of the Doggett and Reyes characters and it was intriguing to read "4D" (one of my very favourite XF episodes) reviewed in terms of how much more satisfying it might have been if we had seen Dana shaving Fox rather than Monica shaving John and how much longer shippers had to wait to see Mulder and Scully billing and cooing compared with how quickly Doggett and Reyes formed a connection this, it is asserted, is unfair.

It isn't just the factual content but the opportunity to relieve fandom through a fans eyes and that's priceless.

Thank you so much for these Libby, I am loving them. :clapping:

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

Eth - the 'Cherish the Past' notes were worth including because of the information in them, but, oh, the bias! Where I spotted some of the more over-the-top comments I did delete those, but I really didn't want to spend any more time on the project. In my view, it was unfortunate that the shippers mostly took over, because fandom became more about M&S than the show. In the pdf files for earlier seasons there are included some script differences and comments by Carterphile - which might help to balance out the bias a bit - and I wish she had continued with her comments.

As for FS's comments about TLG - in the season 4 pdf I've included interviews with M&W about "Musings..." which gives some backstory. Without doing more research, I can't be sure which, if any, episodes after the introduction of TLG that were written by M&W. I think it's probably the case that other writers went on to flesh out the TLG characters, so probably had a sense of commitment authorily to them, hence felt that Frohike wasn't M&W's property to kill off as they intended in "Musings...".

I do think, however, that the writers/producers dropped the ball with their introduction of Doggett to the series. The opening scene where Scully throws some water in his face was a nod to fan outrage that they were continuing with the show without Mulder and introducing another male lead - there were roars of approval resounding around the internet at that scene. The name 'Doggett' was a nod to another baseball announcer (as was 'Scully') but fandom soon morphed that into 'Dogbreath' and 'Dogshit'. It was rather pitiful and still to this day there are some areas where nothing positive about Doggett could be posted without getting a flaming.

Oh, happy times! :oneeyedwinK

Thanks for your comments, Earthnut. It was something of a mammoth task, and although I regret giving up checking most of the episode transcripts from the beginning of season 7 onwards, because I calculated the amount of time that would have taken and decided that I did have other things that I was neglecting, it still feels better to have done what I have and get that out to people who are interested in it. A few thanks are really worth their weight in gold, and your comments have made me feel happy! Thank you.

Eth - the 'Cherish the Past' notes were worth including because of the information in them, but, oh, the bias! Where I spotted some of the more over-the-top comments I did delete those, but I really didn't want to spend any more time on the project.

In a lot of ways, Libby I am pleased that you didn't. Part of the charm of the 'Cherish the Past' segments are that they represent the frank, and evidently passionate, opinions of shippers at the time that fandom was at its most loyal and most fierce. It gives credence, in my opinion, to the weight of the argument for archiving material if it is to hand as it becomes a conduit to the fans and their feelings during that era. I cannot for the life of me recall who I corresponded with some time ago but the gent in question spoke of a tendency within all fandoms for newer fans to rewrite fan history. It's not a conscious desire on their part but as they sift through the remnants of what information is available they often proclaim this episode 'warmly received' or that episode 'slandered from the peanut gallery' at the time of airing and it may, or not be, the case. I know I read something recently that asserted that "Millennium fans reacted badly to so and on at the time of airing" and I was left with a slightly bemused look of 'really' on my face. It was certainly news to me.

Allowing the broad range of fan feeling to supplement the material you have collected together is providing an insight, for me, that I didn't have as I wasn't around the time. It has been a learning curve to learn just how resistant people were to Doggett and how outright hostile they were to Reyes. I knew none of this and I thank you for providing an opportunity for me to get a real sense of the passion and ire that was on display back then.

The opening scene where Scully throws some water in his face was a nod to fan outrage that they were continuing with the show without Mulder and introducing another male lead - there were roars of approval resounding around the internet at that scene.

If I recall rightly there was a rather toe-curling repost from the antagonist to Doggett in "Daemonicus" which was a thinly disguised piece of fan service in which he was lambasted for, well, not being Mulder.

I agree with your comments that the surge of shippers as the dominant voice in fandom was a shame. It is evident that season nine laboured under a desire to change and a need to provide for established fans and to be honest I found it jarring. I was surprised at just how immersed I was in "NIHT I & II" recently. I enjoyed the freshness of it, the redefinition, the tweaks to the mythology and so on. Truth be told the only time those episodes lost me was when the narrative cut to a scene of a moist-eyed Dana in pining mode. Evidently a lot of these scenes were included to prevent shippers from issuing a fatwa against CC but I found them unnecessary. I wish they had been bold enough to have rested Scully at the same time as Mulder but I can't imagine Fox would have allowed that nor do I believe the fans would have forgiven them for that. My guess is that season nine was intended to be the transition season and if CC had had his further ten years of the show as he had hoped, it would have been Doggett and Reyes all the way for Season Ten.

A few thanks are really worth their weight in gold, and your comments have made me feel happy! Thank you.

Yes they are. I have to say today has been season nine day for me. There is so much I never knew but that doesn't surprise me, I never assumed I knew much at all. As I have just finished a run of these episodes I have been trawling the X-Files Wiki of late and the information there is not a patch on the content of what you have provided for us.

I am now off to watch "4D" again this time illuminated by the fact that the opening scenes were reversed on screen so that it represents the parallel world of the episode in a barely detectable way. I'm going to look and see if I can spot the hair parted on the wrong side and the right handed folks using their left and to think that every piece of text in those had to be done backwards to ensure the effect was doable is fascinating. I will be watching closely.

Thank you, again, Libby. I'm starting back at the beginning with season one tomorrow.

Eth

Libby, this is an incredible resource, we really should talk privately.

Recently, I am of the opinion that a number of us, who are a little more in the know, should hijack the Wiki X-Files, and set the record straight, some odd information can be found there, IMHO. :rolleyes: