My Final Xf Project (Transcripts, Etc.)

Rate this topic

I'll certainly be congratulating Libby as well once I get a hand on these files too!

I just wanted to point out that the "Cherish The Past" pages are still hosted online by who appears to be their original author/compiler here.

And as far as I can tell (my actual online presence in the fandom came quite late, post series finale), the XF fandom has a long history of violent flame wars -- which enhances the positive experience of TIWWA even more.

• Elders (Moderators)

Thanks for that link, Oro. I think I got most of those notes via the Haven, but I'll use the contact details on that site to explain what I've incorporated into my files. I hope that will be okay with that person. There are possibilities in the pipeline to have my files available elsewhere.

Fandom is a strange entity. I think there have actually been some PhD papers written on the phenonemon. The trouble is when people find fandom of one particular show, and see what goes on there and it can scare them away, especially when it gets vicious, which it often does. But if they follow fandom of several shows they'll see the same thing happening again and again. Back in the past fandom was mostly concentrated in one place on unmoderated Usenet newsgroups, these days it gets spread around on various forums. As Usenet has gradually faded away into the sunset, some usenetters have mourned that, but one of the advantages of forums is the moderation which sets the tone for discussions, and well moderated sites take the stance of the forum owner (although there are cases where the forum owner sets it up and then disappears - that's a difficult situation). In the case of TIWWA, the tone is set by The Old Man and that is what has made this site work so well, despite the past history vis-a-vis Millennium.

It's not been a good day. I got the email from my ISP first thing this morning - wonderful for early o'clock on a Monday, which incidentally still seems to apply even though I'm retired, obviously habits die hard - and I quickly responded in the required manner, including promising to delete the content. The trouble is, that seems to be a low priority for the ISP tech guys, which is not surprising because they've stopped the problem (which could, after all, have been a malicious attack, i.e. a DDOS) but I now have to wait for my access to be reinstated so I can FTP in to delete the files. The expected time to resolution from when I responded was nine hours, but I've yet to hear anything from them. I hope that I regain access before going off to the land of nod, otherwise I could well face further problems tomorrow if the URL makes it further around the internet.

I don't blame my ISP. All that's involved in this is an automatic processs which they need to have in place to protect themselves. DDOS attacks have been known to bring down an entire ISP's netblock, and I regard my ISP tech guys as good guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Libby,

As I lost a number of my files when my PC passed over could I ask if there is anyway I can download these again? I know you mentioned the possibility of them being made available elsewhere and I wondered if there was any news on this front? Sorry to be a bother Libby but I was so enjoying these and I would love to continue reading where I left off.

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

Forgot to say: the file is called "pdf.rar" and it's 23.76 MB.

Who Am I? - What happens when you click on the link? Does the site open in your browser and if so what do you see?

If you're using a workplace internet connection or similar, it could be that access to sites such as megaupload is banned, but there should be some kind of message to that effect. (I am pretty sure that the link is working, as I've just tried it.)

Thank you so much for this Libby. :notworthy:

I had finished season's nine and one when a great calamity smote my PC and it was one of the first things I thought of seeking out. I am just downloading these as we speak. I do hope you take an opportunity to download them Who Am I?, they are absolutely fascinating and certainly something worth keeping for time immemorial.

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

I've tried three times in the last few minutes: the first gave me the option to download, which I cancelled; the second gave me the same "temporarily unavailable" message; the third gave me the option to download.

It may just be megaupload's way of controlling their bandwidth, so they don't have too many people trying to download at the same time. Try the link again, maybe a couple of times, and see what happens.