Question On The Old Man's Speech

Rate this topic

I had a question, and I had to listen to it twice because I wasn't really sure if I was hearing things or not, plus I checked the script that we have online here. I also have no idea if this question was broached before either, so if it was, I'm sorry :confused:

The Old Man says "On November 23, 1923, the Nazis attempted to seize power. Sixteen members died. Their blood stained a swastika flag, known from that point as die Blutfahne, the blood banner. It is said that whoever maintains control of this banner would defeat communism. Rudolph Axmann, the oldest surviving member of Hitler's circle, the leader of Odessa, has possession of this flag, in Paraguay."

Now unless my history teachers were wrong, Hitler wasn't 'popular' until the 30s and up until the 40s when he took his own life. The Nazis weren't in existence until that point (as far as I know)... Was there a reason the time line was incorrect, or was the research bad on the writers part, or was it just a typo?

• Like 1

Guest SouthernCelt

I think much of the basic premise of the "blood banner" was fictitious. The Nazis did not reach a level of control in Germany's parliament until '33 although the party had been growing in power for quite a few years. Once the Nazi party got control, Hitler was appointed chancellor and the change to a dictatorship could be made.

• Elders (Moderators)

This is from Wikipedia:

On 8 November 1923, Hitler and the SA stormed a public meeting headed by Kahr in the Bürgerbräukeller, a large beer hall in Munich. He declared that he had set up a new government with Ludendorff and demanded, at gunpoint, the support of Kahr and the local military establishment for the destruction of the Berlin government. Kahr withdrew his support and fled to join the opposition to Hitler at the first opportunity. The next day, when Hitler and his followers marched from the beer hall to the Bavarian War Ministry to overthrow the Bavarian government as a start to their "March on Berlin", the police dispersed them. Sixteen NSDAP members were killed.

Presumably this was what the writers were referring to.

• Like 1

I really despise using Wikipedia, but it does tie in to what The Old Man tells Lara, just not the whole thing...

Blutfahne

Now before I go off again, I better go like the angels in the corner are telling me to do.

LOL, Libby beat me to it :clapping:

Edited by Who Am I?
  • Like 1

The Weimar Republic (Germany) was a rough place to live back then. The rest of Europe really held Germany to the grinder, which made it easy for Hitler to take control, even though he didn't get it on the first try.

This site has help me to see and understand how much the writers draw from historical events, various philosophies, including the whole Owls and Roosters thing. I did not realize that the writers adopted the Owls/Roosters theory, thinking that they invented it themselves! At first I thought the writers were being unoriginal, but when I started to comparing it to other art forms like music, I understood how much it was about weaving all the pieces together to make a great overall product.

:rock2:

• Like 1