Paper Dove

Rate this topic

Guest WaveCrest

Guest WaveCrest

I was expecting there to be a few existing threads for the first season finale "Paper Dove", so when I saw the search results after doing a TIWWA forum search for "Paper Dove" I was surprised that there was just one existing thread. Can this thread be merged with this thread please. Thanks.

On watching the episode a second time in full last night (first time I saw "Paper Dove" in full was when ITV showed it back in the late 90's) I thought it was a very decent finale to the first season.

Paper Dove was definitely a cliff hanger wasn't it? I remember when it aired sitting slack-jawed when Catherine was taken. My wife still yells at the TV as it happens.

And the best part is that the Henry Dion part of the episode was great also. Mama just so creeped me out.

This 2-parter was disturbing, but good at the same time. I guess that's a typical MLM episode.

Most people are too hard on Catherine. A lot had happened in the episodes leading up to her kidnapping. Frank's world and her world were outside of their home, but this time they collided. Most of us wouldn't have handled being kidnapped as well as she did. Most women would have fallen apart either during, afterwards, or both. All Catherine needed was time. She was a strong woman with a very caring heart, and deserves better then all the ridicule she has has received from MLM fans, etc. There have been some horrible things said about her. :ouroborous:

Guest teedub

I actually like this episode a lot. I'm a fan of serial killer profiling to begin with, so I always liked those eps. And it was a great (and unexpected) cliffhanger. The only thing I have to consider whenever I watch this on DVD is whether or not I can stand to listen to Mama. Sometimes I just can't take her. :helpme:

This 2-parter was disturbing, but good at the same time. I guess that's a typical MLM episode.

Most people are too hard on Catherine. A lot had happened in the episodes leading up to her kidnapping. Frank's world and her world were outside of their home, but this time they collided. Most of us wouldn't have handled being kidnapped as well as she did. Most women would have fallen apart either during, afterwards, or both. All Catherine needed was time. She was a strong woman with a very caring heart, and deserves better then all the ridicule she has has received from MLM fans, etc. There have been some horrible things said about her. :ouroborous:

Oh Nutty one, I think the fact she was kidnapped took a lot out on her because of the fact (well, I think anyways) she practically walks out on Frank (and vice versa). She has a lot of resentments, especially now that she's realizing that Jordan's got her own special gift.

Paper Dove was a neat dual-thread epidode, with one thread pretty much resolving, and the second launching season 2. On some days, I like the relationship conflict in season 2 and on other days, I'm frustrated that they were so strong together in season 1 and now they have very little together. But that's just me being emotional, which was probably the way Morgan and Wong wanted me to feel! I think this made season 2 stronger and more intense.

As far as the Catherine "grumpiness" issue, I will venture a guess that maybe her intuition saw the woes of the Millennium Group before Frank's gift did!

:rock2:

Believe it or not, the answer to what happened to Frank and Catherine is not PMS, sorry, it's actually in the pilot episode. Here's the transcript section:

[quote[CATHERINE: Who was that?

FRANK: His name is Watts. He had some information for me.

CATHERINE: He sat out there for over an hour. He could have come to the door.

FRANK: I don’t think he wanted to impose.

CATHERINE: I can handle imposition, Frank. What I can’t handle is secrecy.

[He sits on the bed next to her. She sits up.]

FRANK: I don’t keep secrets, Catherine. I’ll tell you anything you want.

CATHERINE: You think you’re protecting me but you make it worse, Frank. You can’t shut the world out for me. You can’t ask me to pretend that I don’t know what you do.

FRANK: Everyone pretends. We all make believe. These men I help catch - make us.

CATHERINE: We’re raising a daughter, Frank. The real world starts to seep in. You can’t stop it.

[He looks at her intensely.]

FRANK: I want you to make believe that I can.

[she kisses him on the forehead.]

*pouts* Well, I think my make believe (the PMS and walking out on her husband) actually supports something that happens later on.... I guess its all open to who you really support on the show.

Lovingly taken from Owls- I have no idea how to do that funky quote shit yet. :ranting:

[Frank switches on the lights.]

FRANK:

No! The time is now, Peter! Now! The Group, Millennium, convinced me

to return to a realm, for the safety of my family, my sanity, I never

wanted to experience again. Now, I agreed to work for them because I

believed that they were a criminal investigative consulting firm. I

was devoted. I respected Millennium. I respected you. Now it's all

distorted with hints and intimations. Passwords and candidacies.

Centuries-old origins. End-of-the-World prophecies. Secrets and lies.

WATTS:

I never lied to you. (Posters note: He didn't, not really. Creative truths, withholding information that would have sent Frank on a manhunt [as seen with the stalker], or information he had to learn on his own as a candidate...]

FRANK:

You knew the identity of the man that stalked my wife. For years. You

never told me. That's a lie. You knew that I would kill him. You knew

I'd get separated from my family. (Posters note: Its all in the eyes of the beholder)

WATTS:

You left your family. But you didn't leave us. Over the last year of

your candidacy this group has shown you a plane of good and evil and

a prophetic direction that you have come to understand and accept.

Past and future events that we understand can only be known to a

select few. (Posters note: What I think Peter's trying to say here is that, despite the amount of times Catherine has asked Frank to come back and live with them, he's said no. But on the other hand, despite him knowing that the Group withheld info on his wife's kidnapper, he stayed working with them. Which doesn't make any sense considering one should be loyal to one's spouse)

• Elders (Moderators)

Lovingly taken from Owls- I have no idea how to do that funky quote shit yet. :ranting:

I just want to respond to this bit (while I'm trying to put my thoughts together on the subject):

If you want to quote something that you've copied from elsewhere, you can use the "quote" icon just above the reply box - if you look at the buttons for bold, italic, and so on, when you get to the third from the end and hover your cursor over it you'll see it says "insert quotation". Click on that and what you'll get is "[ quote ] [ /quote ]". Paste your text in between those and it should work. Alternatively just type [ quote ] then paste and then type [ /quote ]. Note: I've inserted spaces in the [whatever] so it shows up as text but if you were to type it in, there shouldn't be any spaces.

I see you've already found the Support Forum - there's a "Test" subforum there. If you want to go absolutely wild and try out each and every option available to you when posting, feel free to try those out there - if you have any problems I'll be able to see what hasn't worked.