Paper Dove

Rate this topic

Guest WaveCrest

Libby, you're the greatest ! ! !:notworthy: Thank you for explaining quoting to Kara. I found it very confusing at first, still confused in other areas. :ouroborous:

Before Catherine died, they were together again as a family. From then on, Frank would still work, but inside I believe he did blame himself for her death because of his association with the group. I feel he stayed with the group to find their weak places, and then to use them to destroy the group, not the people. And, that he saw that the group was no longer what it was created to be, and becoming very much the opposite. Thank God for the episode, "The Sound Of Snow," a favorite of mine because the group gives Catherine back to him, which finally began the healing process.

I have copied it from where I saved the episode on my hard drive. I will experiment when my time allows me. Right now I'm drooling at a shot of Frank and Peter side by side and... well, yeah. And it looks like I have to watch some of Season 3 cause I refuse to watch some of the episodes...

I'm fast forwarding way past Paper Dove here, but I do like the way that Frank and Catherine were above to start some resolution in Roosters. The dual "dishonesty" conversations with Frank, Catherine, Peter, and the elder, were put together so nicely, and I think Frank was able to stand his ground with Catherine at that time.

As much as there were "grumpy bumps" in season 2, Roosters seemed to bring some resolution to that.

:rock2:

let's face it my friends,. the ole mighty dollar sort of dictated the theme of the second season. The first season was one of the most original thought

provoking shows of all time. Evil vs. Frank Black. The Legion was the villain and the group was at war with it. Unfortunately, the show was not doing so well going into the second season. In the

eyes of the producers, and unfortunatly Chris Carters uncontrol cause he left to do those

xfiles movies, the show was in the hands of people who's only thought was to get the show on it's feet, well, here's when

the conspiracies within the group come in,

that was the successful concotion that made xfiles big, and this is when Paper Dove's Catherine departure comes in. These were devices for success somehow.

I thought breaking up the yellow house, catherine was awful! Catherine leaving Frank made no sense. For godsake's Frank saved her

f***in' life!

LOL! come on now, she knew the business he was in and

the fact that they were able to come out of it alive together was remarkable. I know what she's been going through with Lucy in the house, thie kidnaping, but that was quite uncaring for her to shut

FRank out like that

well, that's me. It would also make sense that since this episode was a carry over from the first season, that the kidnapper (camera man) was a Legion. He made all kinds of references and the group was trying capture him.., that's my take, the second season had some cool episodes but it was confusing since it left that interesting dark world for conspiracies, fairy tales, comic relief, and severe break ups.

Hey, conspiracies are awesome. And you can't say the X-Files did not have their fair share of them. And there still was the Evil Versus Frank Black in Season 2, it was just in different forms (The Polaroid Stalker, Odessa, even Millennium faction vs. Millennium faction [granted, that's not evil versus evil, but you get my drift].) However, while yes, I think it was wrong of Catherine to leave her husband, I can also understand her not liking him hiding things from her and the fact he feels he has to carry the burden of the world on his shoulders.

I thought breaking up the yellow house, catherine was awful! Catherine leaving Frank made no sense. For godsake's Frank saved her

f***in' life!

He sure did but he saved her life from a man he knew was stalking both her and her daughter and he opted to keep his family in the dark with regards to the threat that was posed to them. Catherine does not leave Frank, she asks for some time away to think. It is made explicit in the season that this was a temporary separation. She does not leave him simply because he killed The Polaroid Stalker she leaves him because it is apparent to her that her husband, and the group he is becoming more and more indoctrinated into, do not consider her worthy to know when her life, and the life of her daughter, is in danger. Coupled with the fact she has undergone and extremely traumatic experience, one in which she believed her daughter was dead and she was about to meet the same fate, it's not surprising that she needs time to process what she has endured and reconcile it in terms of what it means for her and her daughter. She evidently wants to define the marriage in a new way, one in which she is never kept in the dark when her family is in danger again.

I've never had a problem with Catherine leaving Frank but I know a lot of people too. Put it this way, if I was Catherine I would have done the same.

Eth

Hey, conspiracies are awesome. And you can't say the X-Files did not have their fair share of them.

dude, you misread my post, I said that this was the very successful formula that made xfiles a hit and that's why it was brought

over to millennium. It didn't seem season one was heading in that direction at all. Chris Carter had no intention making the group

bad in anyway. It was suppose to be Frank and the group vs. evil. Season 2 was all about bringing in the audience in more and that's all. It was group of ex FBI agents.

Season 2 was a drastic change, a little too much. I don't dislike 2, there are some amazing episodes and this is still my favorite show, why else would I be here.

He sure did but he saved her life from a man he knew was stalking both her and her daughter and he opted to keep his family in the dark with regards to the threat that was posed to them. Catherine does not leave Frank, she asks for some time away to think. It is made explicit in the season that this was a temporary separation. She does not leave him simply because he killed The Polaroid Stalker she leaves him because it is apparent to her that her husband, and the group he is becoming more and more indoctrinated into, do not consider her worthy to know when her life, and the life of her daughter, is in danger. Coupled with the fact she has undergone and extremely traumatic experience, one in which she believed her daughter was dead and she was about to meet the same fate, it's not surprising that she needs time to process what she has endured and reconcile it in terms of what it means for her and her daughter. She evidently wants to define the marriage in a new way, one in which she is never kept in the dark when her family is in danger again.

I've never had a problem with Catherine leaving Frank but I know a lot of people too. Put it this way, if I was Catherine I would have done the same.

Eth

btw, i love your posts and dedication to the show! This show was a very thought provoking show. It's been

ten years and only three seasons and it's still discussed.

you do have a good point there, but I still think this whole break up was to make a change in the show. I didn't like it. I thought she was a great part of the balance of the show.

i met Megan at a horror con and she was so sweet and I told her that when her character died, it definately gave the show a finale. Even when Frank and her seperated it left it

with a hole. She thanked me so much and agreed, she felt her character was messed around a little too much but she loved it. It's sort of my relatrionship with it, lots

of missed continueties but

still loved. I feel that Lance was the glue to the show. His performance really hauled you in :notworthy:...........

Edited by evil

Hi there evil (bet you're not really) :oneeyedwinK

Well I think this is the first time I have had the opportunity to keyboard with you so allow me to say what a pleasure it is to have you here at TIWWA and I hope we have many more opportunities to talk Millennium, that is who we are after all.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that removing Catherine from the show did affect it but I still have no issue with Catherine and Frank's separation. In season one of the show Catherine was only a few lines of dialogue away from being a cypher. She was a functionary role in that she was Frank's wife but we had little knowledge of her as a woman independent of her partner and as Glen Morgan noted, that was at the expense of a superb actress who was capable of realising a role with so much more meat on the bones. If you have constructed a character that primarily serves to resond to, and react to, another character but has little in a way of an arc of development of her own it makes sense to sever that link in order to redefine her a little before bringing them back together. I mention this because bringing them back together was the original intention until Chris Carter advised Morgan and Wong to kill the character off.

I know people have chastised the character for being bitchy in the second season. I would certainly agree that she is far more confrontational and demanding in terms of what she expects of Frank but it's evident to me is that she is fighting for the man she loves against the pull of the scarlet woman in the form of The Millennium Group. In many ways, Catherine's love for Frank is very evident in the second season when it is put to the test and she is forced to fight for what she believes in. I certainly found her a more engaging character when she was bolder, more assertive and more akin to the women I know than the milder, much more accommodating 'wife' of the first season.

There have also been suggestions by many forum members over the years that there were grander forces at work that influenced the marriage of the Blacks. It isn't lost on members here that the Millennium group hid from Frank the full extent of their knowledge of the Polaroid Stalker. It isn't lost on folk either than as soon as Catherine is out of the picture, Frank it partnered with an arguable more attractive lady and one who even Frank has to conclude 'knows him better than his wife'. It's also not lost on people either that said lady was a Millennium Group member also. If, as I believe, The Millennium Group actively sought the dissolution of Frank and Catherine's marriage in an attempt to remove the major grounding influence in his life before they began to extend their efforts to indoctrinate him then it's clear that one way or another Frank and Catherine's honeymoon period is over as we start our journey into the second season of the show. After all, when Catherine and Frank are all but reconciled she then dies, a death Frank held the Millennium group directly accountable for. She was going to be out of the picture one way or another.

Ramble, ramble, ramble....

I have to say I give Catherine the benefit of the doubt. In Anamnesis we are shown clearly that she is suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. What she endured did much to affect her and her thinking. Coupled with the possibility that events were probably being manipulated to put strain of their marriage and the fact that, at times, Frank did not make the right judgement calls in terms of his how much he should have kept from his wife and daughter then I'm willing to cut her some slack for wanting some space for a short time.

That said, I know I am in a minority and a great many people feel as you do that what she did was inappropriate given that Frank had just saved her life.

I have to give you major kudos for meeting Megan. I have never had that opportunity sadly but I hope to one day, just to get a few things signed and to fawn like rabid fanboy I am. :notworthy:

Eth

eth, my friend, thanks! I feel comfortable here, as I stated before this show was/is very special to me. I think as a symbol, beautiful wife, yellow house, angelic daughter was something

that gave Frank some balance. It was needed when he came back from a long journey from literally hell. It felt good, he certainly deservered it. Now sure Catherine really didn't have many lines in the first season, afterall, this show was just coming together, it was crime, serial killer, supernatural thought

provoking show and her character, give it some time, would of probably been more enhanced. I'm sure if Carter didn't leave in season two, we would of expanded more on the first season;s theme and that's where I wanted it to go. Season two was almost a parody of season one and x files, again, I still liked it because there were still moments of sheer brilliance. To be honest, some of my faves of that season are, room without a view, curse of Frank black (almost a parody as I expained but brilliant) somehow satan,,,,,(parody) and mikado.

There are some more.

Let's see, I've also met lance a few times and I am as well a fanboy!! :swingin: He signed a few things for me including that mark snow signed soundtrack, That soundtrack is a must for millinnium fans. anway I've collected autos of people who have been on the show too. There are autograph cards from inkworks of different shows like smallville and alias, since there was never been auto cards from the millennium show, Ocassionally you'll find people like sarah redmond (smallville) terry quinn (alias) chris carter ( x files movie) megan gallagher (star trek women) Lance (aliens vs, Predator) so there out there for real cheap on ebay, sometimes for a measely six bucks.:clapping:

Edited by evil