By The Numbers: 3

Rate this topic

Guest Snapper

Pick your favorite  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Wepwawet

Oops, I just realised I mis-read the intention of this poll....I voted for my LEAST favourite!!

Well, it was a tough one anyway...I can't say I'm mad on any of these episodes. And I can't remember enough about any of them to form a positive opinion - I guess none of them made that much impression 1st time around.

• 6 months later...
Guest MrCox

Wow, voted for 3 first season episodes in a row! I didn't remember how great the first season started off, but "Dead Letters" is really one of my ultimate MM favourites. Morgan and Wong wrote a perfect mini drama that took all the inspirations Carter had for the show ("The Silence Of The Lambs" and "Se7en") and transformed them into a great MM show. The killer is really frightening but the focus leans on the work of a profiler and this is what makes this episode so special. For the first time really Frank Black works as a profiler from start to finish and "catches the bad man". How dangerous and nerve wrecking this work can be shows the state James Horn is in. James is the exact opposite of Frank, on the edge of madness, divorced and seperated from his family. "Dead Letters" also features some great visual ideas (all the orange vans for example and Jordan's nightmare).

"Sense And Antisense" is not bad at all ... as an "X-Files" rip-off! Somehow I like this episode but it doesn't have to do anything with MM. There are some creepy scenes and the teaser is just fantastic, but the story doesn't work. It gets a plus for an extended role for Giebelhouse who is always fun to watch (he'll probably never call Frank by phone again!).

"TEOTWAWKI" is OK, but not very special (even with Giebs in it). I think Carter and Spotnitz just put too much into these 45 minutes, the Y2K problem, a Columbine-like high school shooting AND a father killing his son. Its really too much and then there are some of those horrible Baldwin scenes. I don't like this guy and although we were probably never MEANT to like him, Baldwin is just STUPID! How can this man be the best man McClaren has got? (McClaren said this in "The Innocents" what might be the explaination!) However, there's enough to enjoy here and this episode is definetely better than "The Innocents" / "Exegesis"!

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
Wow, voted for 3 first season episodes in a row! I didn't remember how great the first season started off, but "Dead Letters" is really one of my ultimate MM favourites. Morgan and Wong wrote a perfect mini drama that took all the inspirations Carter had for the show ("The Silence Of The Lambs" and "Se7en") and transformed them into a great MM show. The killer is really frightening but the focus leans on the work of a profiler and this is what makes this episode so special. For the first time really Frank Black works as a profiler from start to finish and "catches the bad man". How dangerous and nerve wrecking this work can be shows the state James Horn is in. James is the exact opposite of Frank, on the edge of madness, divorced and seperated from his family. "Dead Letters" also features some great visual ideas (all the orange vans for example and Jordan's nightmare).

"Sense And Antisense" is not bad at all ... as an "X-Files" rip-off! Somehow I like this episode but it doesn't have to do anything with MM. There are some creepy scenes and the teaser is just fantastic, but the story doesn't work. It gets a plus for an extended role for Giebelhouse who is always fun to watch (he'll probably never call Frank by phone again!).

"TEOTWAWKI" is OK, but not very special (even with Giebs in it). I think Carter and Spotnitz just put too much into these 45 minutes, the Y2K problem, a Columbine-like high school shooting AND a father killing his son. Its really too much and then there are some of those horrible Baldwin scenes. I don't like this guy and although we were probably never MEANT to like him, Baldwin is just STUPID! How can this man be the best man McClaren has got? (McClaren said this in "The Innocents" what might be the explaination!) However, there's enough to enjoy here and this episode is definetely better than "The Innocents" / "Exegesis"!

Hmmm, 'Dead Letters' is done very well indeed, but to me personally it was extremely 'DRAMA' heavy; I know that a lot of people here really get into the internal emotional character drama in this series, and believe me, it can REALLY kick your @ss sometimes. 'TEOTWAWKI' was well done also, but I didn't find it nearly as intense as the other two.

Although I know many people have commented on how 'Sense and Antisense' really is more X-Files materiel, and that's probably true, still, the sheer power of the story and c'mon people, the absolutely riviting performance of the GREAT Clarence Williams III..., not to mention the chilling tie-in to Rwanda... Geez, I'm sorry but this one wins it hands down for me (of course I'm a REAL sucker for the government doing the Mind Control thing :yes: )

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...