By The Numbers: 3

Rate this topic

Guest Snapper

Pick your favorite  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, I have no brilliant thoughts here. I leave that to the creators of the show as well as some of the more intelligent and knowledgeable posters here. I have to go with "Dead Letters", simply because it is incredibly good, is well written, and has some great actors/characters, such as Frank's partner in this episode. His name escapes me right now.

I have to agree. "Dead Letters" is a wonderful accomplishment! One of my favorites of season 1.

I also agree with Se7en's thoughts on Sense and Antisense, and it's resemblence to an X-Files rip-off, but it was rather enjoyable, especialy compared to most of what's out there these days.

His name escapes me right now.

"James" something.

• 3 weeks later...

As it was already said, "Sense and Antisense" is the episode which script would be great fit for the worst episode of The X-Files. The whole idea, the teaser are interesting, but the more I watch the more it is "antisense" :no:

"Dead Letters" and "Teotwawki" are almost on the same level. But "Dead Letters" is slightly ahead. "Teotwawki" is great episode but unfortunately the ending might be a little bit different. After the shock of killing your own son, I was expecting something else. "Dead Letters" is a drama from the beginning till the end.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Sense and Antisense.

I love 'Dead Letters' but only for the character of James Horn. The rest is rather poor really; the killer has no charisma or interesting features, the episode has some rather suspect deduction going on at times and generally it steals a bit too much from Thomas Harris. S+AS is overall, a strong story with decent characters, made much better by some great personal touches by Chip J to Frank in his current situation (the picture of Jordan on the computer etc). TEOTWAWKI is solid but not really the same calibre of episode as the other two.

• 1 month later...
Guest TragicWhiteKnight

Probably TEOTWAWKI, but they're all really poor.

All of Morgan and Wong's S1 scripts strike me as being fairly third-rate. 'Dead Letters' ranks as one of the dullest and least imaginative shows of the first two seasons: a serial killer story with no layers.

'Sense And Anti-Sense' has Mark Snow's great opening theme and...err...nothing. I don't really get the criticism of it as being a rejected X-File episode since the Genome stuff ties into 'Force Majeure' and does present a millennial issue, similar to 'Walkabout' . But, as even Johanssen admits, it came off as a big mess.

TEOTWAWKI has some really awful direction and a terrible ending, and, like Sense And Anti-Sense, tries to tackle an issue too complicated for the plot to handle. But it's an improvement. I liked the Book Of Hours (having read one in University); the school-shooting and the phony suicide'. But what the hell did they do to Gibelhouse? Why did they make him an asshole in this one? To make all the FBI dullards like Hollis look better? Good job, Carter!

• 5 months later...
This is getting ugly, I'm starting to seriously question my love for the show. Anyway, you know the drill.

Vote!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Easy, my Millennium brother!!! :clapping:

Dead Letters, hands down..show was very good in proving that in the line of work that Frank did, you MUST seperate your personal life from your professional one. James was being considered for the group, but throughout the episode, just could not put the divorce, his fear of seeing his kid in place of the victim, aside and concentrate on the matter at hand...

I like the anal attentiveness of the suspect..being able to write on a strand of hair is both brilliant and maddening at the same time...

post-1098-1114881013.jpg

timenear.wav

Guest arcanamundi
James Morrison. He's a great actor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, he's currently a supporting player on '24', playing a much stronger, more confident man. I think he also had a supporting role on 'Point Pleasant' (which appears to have quietly been cancelled.)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Max Fenig
Sense and Antisense.

I love 'Dead Letters' but only for the character of James Horn. The rest is rather poor really; the killer has no charisma or interesting features, the episode has some rather suspect deduction going on at times and generally it steals a bit too much from Thomas Harris. S+AS is overall, a strong story with decent characters, made much better by some great personal touches by Chip J to Frank in his current situation (the picture of Jordan on the computer etc). TEOTWAWKI is solid but not really the same calibre of episode as the other two.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I could vote (damn "null vote" again), I would have done "Sense & Antisense" for the same reasons as MDM here. "Dead Letters" lost a lot on me after the first go-around, "TEOTWAWKI" was pretty weak, but I've found "Sense & Antisense" to incredibly underrated. I've watched it three times now, and it's actually gotten better. Very enjoyable bridge for the early second season.