Frank Black's Modem

Rate this topic

Guest Theo Hiswrae

Guest Theo Hiswrae

Greetings to the Group.

I spotted a hidden 1013 reference today in "The Judge" MLM #104: At approximately 0:23, Frank initiates his modem, and the number it calls is 555-0131. Which is 1013 with the #1 shifted to the right. What crafty little devils they were!

Not sure if this counts as an actual reference. Also, I'm not certain if this is the usual modem number used, or if it's a one off. I'm going to check a few other episodes. I'm interested to hear what you good folks think of this one. Is it worthy? or am I reaching here?

Regards, :ouroborous:

Theo

Hi Theo,

Well you've certainly made it your mission to spot the un-spottable. :clapping:

I remember being a casual viewer of The X-Files back in the day and becoming aware of the inordinate use of 1013 throughout the episodes. At first I gave myself a hearty round of applause for noticing the recurrent use of the name of the production company and then I became aware, through an interview, that Chris Carter's birthday was also on that date. I feel quite proud of myself that I had uncovered something on my lonesome before the days I had the internet and such information was readily available. It's very satisfying discovering these things for yourself isn't it?

Good find and accept a rep point.

Eth

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Theo Hiswrae

Hi Theo,

Well you've certainly made it your mission to spot the un-spottable. :clapping:

I remember being a casual viewer of The X-Files back in the day and becoming aware of the inordinate use of 1013 throughout the episodes. At first I gave myself a hearty round of applause for noticing the recurrent use of the name of the production company and then I became aware, through an interview, that Chris Carter's birthday was also on that date. I feel quite proud of myself that I had uncovered something on my lonesome before the days I had the internet and such information was readily available. It's very satisfying discovering these things for yourself isn't it?

Good find and accept a rep point.

Eth

Many sincere thanks, Eth! I couldn't agree more. Finding such gems in the warp and weft of the story is very satisfying indeed. And if it can be spotted, I'll find it.

I appreciate the Rep point as well.

Besides being a stage electrician, I also did my fair share of props/set dressing over the years. While Broadway shows, opera, and plays are very different from film/TV, the concept is the same and as a consequence I've become used to looking at a set with a detail-oriented perspective.

Oh, and speaking of the X-Files, recently I saw an episode called "The Host", and to my surprise, at approximately 0:30, Don MacKay who played Frank's mysterious neighbor "Jack Meredith" has a role as a worker at the Newark Sewage Processing Plant. LoL

BTW: Please excuse the late reply, I've just got home from my annual family camping trip. Being in a wheelchair makes it difficult, but once out at the cabin it's a blast. And in case you're wondering, yes I do carry a shotgun, in a sheath on the back of my chair. Otherwise, to the Bears I'm just another part of the Meals on Wheels program. :rofl:

I'm working on an essay about Millennium green and the use of the color theory in Art Direction. when I have a rough draft may I send it to you? I would value your insights on the subject.

Thanks again, Eth!

Yours In Sanity,

Theo

Hi Theo,

No apologies are necessary. We know the good people here have full and frantic lives and we simply look forward to them dropping by when they can and chatting with us if they have the time. We especially enjoy hearing from those who are eagled eyed enough to spot the minutiae in Millennium that might otherwise have gone unnoticed.

It would be a pleasure to read your draft article when you are ready to share it. I'm not sure I could bring much to the proceedings as you are evidently within your own field of expertise but if it means I get a sneak peak before everyone else then who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth? :oneeyedwinK

Here's hoping you and yours are having a superb weekend.

Eth

Guest Theo Hiswrae

I have an update regarding obscure 1013 references with Franks electronics. This one is in MLM #117 "Lamentation" , at 0:28 Dr. Fabricant's faux hospital ID tag contains Franks phone number: 555-1130, yet another numerical anagram very similar to his modem number. Someone must have been having fun in the props dept.

:hiya:

Theo

• 8 months later...

They use the 1013 number several times throught their shows. I forget the specific episodes, but 10:13 is a popular time too! I recently found out that some of the galactic coordinates used in Doctor Who years back were actually telephone numbers to some BBC offices. I guess if they need to pick times and numbers, why not make them their own?

:rock2: