How to improve Millennium?

Rate this topic

Good idea? Bad idea?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would guess they were calling for what is commonly known as as Gallows humour, that human instinct to lighten intense situations with humour. Now I thought I'd had a breakthrough last night when I thought of "Silence of The Lambs" and "Hannibal". Both are examples of films so probably not so suited for use as arguing a case against the critics but neither were filled with comedy as far as I could recall and then it occurred to me that Hannibal himself is a great source of camp and comedy albeit a sort of taunting sarcasm. Starling may be played straight but Hannibal certainly isn't so that's off the list.

I also thought of Eli Roth's Hostel which is as a bleak as it comes and I recall him actually using humour to augment the horror rather than detract from it. In the early scenes of the movie, before the terror starts, there's an abundance of jollies, the sets were intentionally colour-rich and the soundtrack was more upbeat until we actually reach the Hostel and the colour is drained from the scenes, the humour ends and the soundtrack becomes oppressive and sparse. It really adds to the shift from one world to another and underscores it perfectly so I suppose humour isn't a tool that is always employed 'simply because' but can actually be used to make a horrific experience more horrific by its absence.

Eth

Guest teedub

despite a lack of overt humour in season one it had a heart and a warmth, especially in the Catherine/Frank/Jordan dynamic that the third season did not. The first season may have lacked jollies and jest but it had a heart and it bugs me to this day that people miss that.

This is precisely my argument again and again. The yellow house was the respite from what Frank was exposed to in his work. How many times does that have to be explained to people???

As someone said earlier, it was the advertisers complaining that they couldn't support a low rated show that was so dark. And it seems to me it's the advertisers and the network suits who insist they know what the public will and will not tune in to watch. I guess the people on this forum are not the "public." :oneeyedwinK

I have people express incredulity when I have stated that I am a Millennium fan as if such a concept it impossible to conceive of. Some have, on occasion, pressed me as to how I can watch something so utterly dark and irredeeming and I've grown weary these days of pointing out The Yellow House factor which seems completely lost on some people.

I guess you either get it or you don't and I am so very glad I do get it.

Eth

• 3 weeks later...

Dexter is very dark but has humor. I was trying to think of a dark show i watch that doesn't have humor in some form or another but i can't think of any. I will rack my brain to see what i can come up with. :) i think the humor in a lot of dark shows is very subtle not really that noticeable, i think there were some subtle humor in Millennium in some episodes with Rodecker and sometimes with Frank the way he would look at you or the look on his face and even Lara Means had some humor. :) But overall it was a dark show and was meant to be that. :)

Laura :)

Difference is Dexter's focus isn't on the murders, the focus is on Dexter himeself and his growth as a family man. There is inherit humor in a serial killer killing for good while attempting to maintain a happy family.

I am among those who think humor that we see in Dexter or X-Files would have ruined Millenium. If they add humor, it would become a different show, and it's what makes this show unique. There simply aren't many shows in the past decades that has the overtone and feel that Millenium had. But then maybe that's simply why TV sucks so much and all the shows are replicas of each other. Glad Millenium did not go the route of congeniality.

- The crimes in Millenium were serious and with purpose. Dexter's crimes were just to fill his needs, which in itself is comical. It's not a serious crime show as the investigations are not conducted seriously. Millenium to me was much more psychological and straight investigations.

- Blood splatter as a forensic science is laughable. It's not regulated, it's not standardized nor was it developed by scientists, but by police themselves. Calling much of Forensic science a science, well there is a lot of humor in that, especially when Dexter always manages to provide blood splatter as key evidence for convictions...

Edited by Ziddy

Well no and truth be told I cannot think of a television series that is especially dark whilst having no humorous moments to balance them.

Eth

I don't remember any humorous moments in the original Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, or The Outer Limits episodes. "Humorous moments to balance them" is only in present day shows, not back in the black and white days. Wow, TV sure has changed.

I tried to watch Dexter a number of times, but oh my, I just don't enjoy that show. Guess I'm too spoiled with MLM and the X-Files. I'm also going to miss "24" like some of you are going to miss "Lost."

Yes Mark, the "yellow house factor" is lost to most. And I too am so glad that "I get it." Yee ha yippee. :swingin:

I would imagine it's a modern concept because the modern depiction of darkness is so much intense. If you take a show like The Outer Limits and place it beside Wire In The Blood for example we move from scenes of implied horror to gratuitous depictions of torture and murder. I think the thinking behind it is that it is acceptable to plunge to the depths a little if you are giving your audience some respite from time to time. It's similar to the effect of a rollercoaster in which the plunges do not make up the majority of the ride but are emphasised by the tension building climbs and soothed by the short straight run at the bottom.

I was trying to think of a television episode that caused similar controversy to "Millennium: Pilot" and I immediately came upon "X-Files: Home". I know some have said it is the television equivalent of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and it certainly is a homage to that movie and others like it. Again there are lots of lighter moments and these don't in any way sully the overall effect of the episode or the bad taste it can leave in the mouths of viewers.

I find this topic really interesting folks.

Eth

• 3 months later...
Guest WaveCrest

I think it all boils down to the original post title, "How To Improve Millennium." There is only one way to me, Season 4 or a movie. Amen ! ! ! :ouroborous:

I'd like to add to that a one-off puppet version of Millennium, along with a guest star role on Family Guy and The Simpsons by Lance. :thumbsup:

I think it's about time we had a Castle or a Bones or a Fringe don't you think? With so many shows paying homage to XF it would be nice if they would consider doing the same for MM. I know it wasn't as a popular or well know but just a little nod would be enough to make my day. At least it would be better than nothing at all.

Eth