Villisca: Living with a Mystery

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

I am watching one of the best documentaries about the Villisca Axe Murder house in Villisca, Iowa. It is done by filmakers Kelly and Tammy Rundle and it is fabulous. :)

For those of you that do not know the story or are not familiar with it it is about a small town Villisca Iowa in 1912 that was rocked by a horrific murder of an enitre family and two small girls that were family friends and to this day the case has never been solved.

On June 9th 1912 the JB Moore family which included JB, his wifeSarah and their 4 children Herman, Katherine, Boyd and Paul attended church that eveing for what was called childrens day at the church for a celebration of Sunday School, after the celebration at the church the family walked home and the two young girlfriends of Katherine, Lena and Ina went home with the family to spend the night. The family were seen by other towns people going into their home that evening and that is the last that anyone had seen them alive and the police suspect they were all killed around 12 midnight that night.

The next morning Ina and Lena's parents were concerned because they had not heard from their daughters yet that morning and yes the families had telephones and the girls were suppose to call the next morning. After growing concern the neighbor who had not heard or seen the family that morning went to check on them, upon arriving she saw that the blinds had still been pulled and there was no sign of activity. The neighbor called JB's brother and he came over and they went into the home, they found two people in bed with blood everywhere, the house was dark and quiet. They called the town Marshall and he came over and they found a long handled axe covered with blood, a slab of bacon in the floor wrapped up and two oil lamps with both of their chimneys taken off along with the family and the two little girlfriends all in their beds dead having been murdered with an axe and their were axe marks on the ceiling of the parents bedroom. Another thing they found was that the bedroom dresser mirror had been covered with a dark sheet. Now here in the South when someone dies all the mirrors in the home are covered so the spirit of the deceased won't be trapped in the mirror and would be able to move on but i don't know why this dresser mirror was covered. All the bodies had also been covered up with the bedding too. I just wonder how so many people were killed without anyone hearing it or how anyone in the house did not awake to the others being murdered. My guess is that JB was killed first as he was a tall strong man and would be wise to get him out of the way first and then proceed to kill the wife and then the children. I don't think that there was any evidence that the family was killed any other place but than in their beds either.

There were many rumors and speculation as to who killed them or who could have commited such a horrible crime especially to children. Many thought that it was a vagrant in town just traveling through or JB had been having an affair or that it was some of his business associates that did not like him or had problems with him but to this day nobody knows for sure who did this. This was a quiet church going town that nothing like this had ever happend in. Bloodhounds were brought in and found some clothes and footprints and a blood piece of clothing along the river but the trail ended there. Now none of the females had been raped so it wasn't a sexual crime just cold blooded murder. I had watched another show about his house and they had thought that a vagrant in town that had been doing some work for the family had snuck into the house and hid and then when everyone was in bed that night killed them while they slept. But so much speculation and no evidence, just another case like in Lizzie Borden where DNA testing would have come in handy.

So I would be interested in hearing from y'all about this case, who has heard of it and what you think about it. :) and even if you haven't heard about it i would like to know what you think. :)

Laura :)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had heard about these murders, but know more now today after reading your post then ever before. Wow, what a read. Thank you so much. Horrible crimes like this would definitely have to be done by a psychopath, they are unstable and feel no remorse.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

I think you probably know about this but there is a superb website devoted to this mystery and you can actually listen to EVP recordings that were taken there which I know will be right up your street. I've had to play catch up with this story as I had never heard of it. No doubt due to the fact that I am British. I have to say it's very, very chilling.

I've been looking through the above website which I have to say is absolutely superb. It would seem they have an interactive tour that you can take that allows you to look around the property online but at the time of writing that seems offline which is a shame.

The interesting thing about it being a vagrant who killed them would be that it would be, I assume, a motiveless crime? For someone passing through a village to go to such lengths to exact that kind of horror would seem odd to me. I know in an overwhelming majority of cases, people are killed by people they know.

I'll have to do so more reading on the subject methinks.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

The interesting thing about it being a vagrant who killed them would be that it would be, I assume, a motiveless crime? For someone passing through a village to go to such lengths to exact that kind of horror would seem odd to me. I know in an overwhelming majority of cases, people are killed by people they know.

Eth

I totally agree. This had to have be someone who knew the family. Wonder if the young friends were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, or if the killer knew them too.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

I wonder if anyone who has researched these murders has proposed ideas as to why a vagrant would commit such a crime? As far as I can tell the suggestions seems to be that the vagrant hid in the house in order to carrying out these crimes so it doesn't suggest a random moment of madness but a crime with malice aforethought which, as I mentioned, makes me inclined to think that some random passer-through would lack any motive for going to such lengths.

I happened upon a Blog earlier that suggested a possible killer in Andy Sawyer. Take a look at this great blog post which seems a much more likely theory than the vagrant theory.

Eth

josew.gif

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Is the documentary about the Villisca murders available on DVD?

It sure is Richard. :)Its called Villisca: Living with a Mystery

Guest WaveCrest

It sure is Richard. :)Its called Villisca: Living with a Mystery

That was a daft question I asked wasn't it? :oneeyedwinK

Thanks Laura. :smile:

Here's a link to where you can purchase the documentary Richard. By all accounts it seems there is a wealth of information on the DVD that is not in the Netflix or Theatrical release no doubt because it would have been too long otherwise. Here's a trailer for the DVD release and it looks really well put together for an independent production.

Eth

josew.gif

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Oh it was a very good and well put together dvd, i enjoyed it very much and i still have it so i might watch it again, i probably will. lol Now there was a whole bunch of extras and special features on the dvd i got, there was even a part about Lizzie Borden, lol which tied in nicely with my Lizzie Borden post. :)

Now when i made this post i had only watched half of the dvd, it is about 2 hours long and then you have your extras and special features. :) ok with the second half they talked about 2 possible suspects one Frank Jones and the other a known criminal named Henry Moore, no relation to JB. Mr. Jones was a well known business man in town and also came to be a Senator. There was some speculation that he committed the murders over some bad business the other suspect seemed to me to be more plausible, he was a known criminal and he travelled from town to town by way of the railroad and in some of the towns he had been in similar murders had taken place with similar details. Some of the similar details included, the victims being killed with an axe or hatchet, the chimneys of lamps having been taken off , the victims covered up with their own bed clothing and also a female victim being posed sexually , the part i missed in the first half of the dvd, one of the two girls who had spent the night had been posed sexually but had not been raped or sexually assaulted. Henry Moore was eventually arrested and put back in jail and had talked about the murders. I have forgotten what happend at the end, lol i will have to go back and watch it again. lol

I hope you do get this dvd Richard, i think you will like it. :)

Laura ;)