Korean Drama Pays Homage To The X-Files...

Rate this topic

xfiles14.jpg

Well some of you may be aware that the X-Files was recently used, without incident, as the basis for an adult film. So successful was it that a second is now being filmed/has been filmed/is out and Fox were unable to prevent it going ahead. Now I hear that Korean TV has premièred a drama relating the story of alien investigation in historic Korea which goes by the name of "Joseon X-Files". For those who have felt the wrath of Fox on the past you must, like me, be wondering how Mulder and Scully can appear in an adult show and a twelve episode alien-phenomena-drama can air called "Joseon X-Files" whilst fans are cautious about putting so much as a video on Youtube. Hmmm. Intrigued as to what it's all about? Here's the lowdown.

In another week, we’ll see the premiere of a new cable drama, tvN’s Joseon X-Files [기찰비록], and here’s a slew of stills from the sci-fi sageuk mystery series, as well as the official poster. Kim Ji-hoon plays the skeptic and Im Jung-eun is the believer, as the two encounter mysterious phenomena like UFOs and try to make sense of it all.

Plus! Kim Gab-soo also stars as the de facto leader of a secret organization of the king; his character is a mysterious man who conducts the affairs of the group from within his dark tent. Kim recently portrayed his sweet, gentle side as the loving stepfather in Cinderella’s Sister, but he’s also fantastic at playing villains and creeps (Hon, Partner), and it’s always fun watching him onscreen.

Joseon X-Files will air on Friday nights, and its first broadcast on the 20th will air two back-to-back episodes. There are 12 episodes in all.

One sceptic and one believer investigating mysterious phenomena in a show from week to week whilst battling a shadowy nemesis who controls a mysterious group hell bent on stopping them in a show called "Joseon X-Files". Oh and did I mention that said shadowy man is seen smoking a pipe in the preview images? Hmmmm.

Unlike Madonna's "Like A Virgin" this doesn't leave me feeling shiny and new at all.

Eth

Wow, I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear what Chris Carter has to say about this. Is there a possibility he is involved in some way? I personally doubt it, but one never knows what lurks in another person's business deals. You know, the silent partner thing. It will be interesting to see how it is received by the viewers in Korea. A MLM show would be difficult to do, unless of course they base it on the Mayan calendar date Dec. 21, 2012. :whistling:

I suppose there's a possibility that this was run by Fox but I very much doubt it but the thing is I'm peeved and intrigued all at the same time. The power of Brand X-Files is such that if it was released with English subtitles I would no doubt watch it. One X-Files fan said to me, with regards to the adult movies, that even if Fox seems to doubt the pulling power of The X-Files in light of the second movie others seem to realise that it still remains a cash cow. I happen to agree with her. Adult movies, Korean adaptations, comics created without any 1013 involvement - XF is in danger of becoming a money spinner for anyone but those who actually created it.

Eth

• 2 weeks later...

xf1-00313a.jpg

Hi folks,

The first episode of "Joseon X-Files" has now aired. Called "Secret Light", it tells the story of the female sceptic and the male believer on the trail of paranormal (and alien) activity in 17th Century Korea. If you head over to this blog you can read a review of it as well as screen shots and a low-down of the plot.

Eth