Fancy A Scare?

Hi folks,

Every year, Kettlewell (a small village in the Yorkshire Dales) hosts a bizarre festival dedicated to scarecrows. I have had the pleasure of visiting Kettlewell in the past and the whole village gets in on the act and tries to outdo their neighbour by creating the most bizarre/funny/scary scarecrow they can think of. At night if you wander through the village it really is the eeriest sight to be hold, like something from Night Of The Living Dead. At the moment the event is ongoing and if you head on over here there's a gallery that lets you take a look at some of this years offerings.

I have to say they look much less frightening in the daylight.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW, fantastic, hard to pick a favorite. Sure enjoyed looking through them. Thanks Mark. :ouroborous:

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Guest WaveCrest

I'm sure they've done something like this in a town/village a few miles from where I come from, a scarecrow festival. Thanks for sharing this Mark. :thumbsup: (Wish they'd repeat Worzel Gummidge on the telly. Haven't seen that in yonks).

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

OMG I want to go here, i must must come to England, I love Scarecrows, I think they are the most frightening things ever besides teenagers, lol I just watched a movie on tv the other night about scarecrows, Night of the Scarecrows, i think was what it was called. :) I m off to take a look. :) Thanks Mark, this just puts me in the mood for Halloween, lol as if i need to be in a mood for Halloween, my dream is to have a year round Halloween store. :)

Laura :)

Guest WaveCrest

OMG I want to go here, i must must come to England, I love Scarecrows, I think they are the most frightening things ever besides teenagers, lol I just watched a movie on tv the other night about scarecrows, Night of the Scarecrows, i think was what it was called. :) I m off to take a look. :) Thanks Mark, this just puts me in the mood for Halloween, lol as if i need to be in a mood for Halloween, my dream is to have a year round Halloween store. :)

Laura :)

I'd be in the long queue for that! :thumbsup:

I've seen a couple of scarecrow horror flicks as well and they were used to great effect in Doctor Who as well. It has to be said that there is something inherently spooky about them. If you look at the images you can see they have, for the most part, gone down the route of twee rather than menacing but at night it's a whole other story. When I visited the village there was a small field that was absolutely full of them. Whoever owned the field had made them all with a small light in their heads which gave them all a really eerie glow (as it was a green glow we guessed he had put glow-sticks in them). I can honestly tell you it was the strangest sight I had ever beheld and if you didn't know what was going off in Kettlewell I can imagine it would be quite a fright to wander upon the field unexpectedly.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest WaveCrest

This is making me think of those scarecrow-like things on the island of San Monique in Sir Roger Moore's debut as James Bond, Live and Let Die.

That was a scary scarecrow in the first season episode of Supernatural (especially the bit where you hear a loud thumping sound in the background).

A film called Scarecrows is shown occasionly on Sky sometimes. Watched bits of it a couple of times. Liked what I saw (scary at times).