Michael R Perry's Paranormal Activity II

Rate this topic

ethsnafu

Hi folks,

I have to confess I still haven't seen the first film and that's largely because a lot of good people here told me it was a bit 'meh' and I trust you folks but I have to say I'm really looking forward to the sequel given that Millennium's Michael R Perry is on board. He happens to be one of my favourite Millennium scribes and we are no doubt promised a great film given his love of the horror genre anyway but take a look at this. Here's the trailer and in true Millennium style there's a 'can you spot the cool caveat' type thing going off. Have a look and see if you can spot it.

This is shaping up to be very interesting.

Eth

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

I thought you saw the first one and hated it as well. The second one does look a lot better to me as well, lets hope so. :)

Laura :)

Well so did I Laura but it turns out that what we thought was Paranormal Activity was actually this film. That might explain why it was so bad. I've complained about Asylum before. They release cheap knock offs to DVD just prior to the official release so it's easy to pick it up in the DVD rental store without realising. It turns out that's just what one member of the Ethsnafu Nerd Squad must have done that evening.

Did you spot the hidden messages in the trailer Miss C?

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

I was looking at the new footage in this trailer and couldn't see anything. The barking dog reminded me of the Millennium episode, but I couldn't spot any hidden messages.

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Umm Paranormal Entity is what i told you about before that i found on Netflix and i liked it. Remember me telling you about the movie i found that was similar to Paranormal Activity but better??? Believe me this was better than Paranormal Activity. :oneeyedwinK and no my brain hurts to bad to notice any hidden messages. lol

laura :)

I'll see if I can screencap the hidden message because to he honest if it wasn't pointed out to me I never would have gotten it. My eyes are getting older I think.

That's better than Paranormal Activity? Good heavens I dread to think. I'm sure I read in terms of what it cost and what it made it is one of the highest grossing independent horrors of all time. I wish I could make such a bad but lucrative film.

Eth

Are you ready for Halloween folks? I know I am. I just read that the studios are to pitch "Paranormal Activity II" and "Saw 45678567543" against each other at the box office this Halloween in a battle for bums-on-seats. It's great news for horror fans in that we get two high-profile shockers to choose from but I worry it will not be so great for "Paranormal Activity II". Going to the cinema is not something I do every day. It certainly isn't something I do twice in a few weeks. Like a great many people there has to be something unique about the film to drag me out at night to spend £20 on two large colas and a bag of M&M's. The studios have realised this too and as everyone and their mother went out to see "My Bloody Valentine 3D" (in the cinema we went to it was sold out for days) there is a vertiable deluge of 3D films coming out at the box office trading on the same gimmick. It's still relatively novel and, thus far, it's maintaining its appeal but at some point a return to an original concept will have to happen in order to tempt cinema goers out for whom the novelty of 3D has passed.

"Paranormal Activity" was an original concept and one which also traded on a gimmick. The gimmick being the idea that you have to shout from the rafters if you wanted this film to come to your locale and this generated interest and hype as did the clips of cinema goers leaping from their seats in cinemas. This time around it doesn't have the novelty factor and it also has to contend with the fact that the hype may well have contributed to a lukewarm response from individuals when they finally got to see the film. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

Now "Saw", much as I've grown weary of it, does have a gimmick. It's going to be flinging body parts at you in glorious 3D whilst the audience still has the desire for such things and if people are faced with a decision of which to see this Halloween I worry that PAII could suffer. I'm going to see PAII because it comes from the pen of Michael Perry and nothing shows support like a few pounds at the box office but I hope a concurrent release doesn't harm either film in the long run.

Eth

Paramount is committed to meeting the Oct. 22 release date for “Paranormal Activity 2,” which pits the sequel directly against “Saw VII 3D.” Move sets the stage for one of the biggest Halloween B.O. battles in recent times.”Saw VII” has already tried to bloody “Paranormal 2″ once. Kevin Greutert was circling to direct “Paranormal 2″ when Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures exercised an option requiring Greutert to direct the seventh installment in the “Saw” franchise.

“Paranormal 2″ didn’t get a director until just last week, when Tod “Kip” Williams inked a deal to helm the pic. Williams is new to the horror genre, having directed indies “The Door in the Floor” and “The Adventures of Sebastian Cole.”

That left some wondering whether “Paranormal 2″ would indeed be ready by Oct. 22.

Insiders involved with the film say that still leaves plenty of time to shoot and edit the sequel. Par and filmmakers are currently casting.

It’s unlikely the sequel could shoot in eight days, like the first “Paranormal Activity” — but the quickie shoot set a precedent for low-budget pics with high expectations.

“Paranormal Activity,” produced for roughly $15,000, became a runaway hit at the box office following an innovative viral-marketing campaign, grossing $107.9 million domestically and $84.8 million internationally for a worldwide total of $192.7 million.

…”Paranormal” grossed $21.1 million against $14.1 million for “Saw VI.” (full opening weekends I guess? MiM here – and how much did they spend making Saw VI?)

The next “Saw” will be the first in the franchise to play in 3D, which could give it an edge, though the last few installments have seen progressively lower B.O….

Source: Variety

• Like 1

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Oh i agree, i don't go to the movies that often only if it is soemthing worth seeing on the big screen. I will probably see both, i like the SAW films in the beginning, it was different and i like different and even though PA was not good at all and i didn't like it at all, i do want to see PA 2 for one it is Michael Perry and for another it does look a lot better than the first one. But i fear that Saw will win out in the end as it is SAW and it is in 3D and PA was not well received after people started seeing it.

LOL you really need to take out a small loan to eat at the concession stands, that is why you need to take someone with a big purse. :whistling:

Laura :)