6 Religious films that will scare The Holy Ghost out of you!

martyrs2.jpg

Martyrs: Martyrs is one of the most disturbing films I have ever seen and left me shocked, disturbed and feeling quite empty inside. I honestly don’t want to give to much away since this movie takes such a massive twist if you have not seen it I want you to be able to watch it un-tainted. Lets just leave it at Martyrs is violent, Martyrs is disturbing beyond belief and Martyrs is also one of the best directed and written horror films I have ever seen.

Hi folks,

I found this great list after doing some further searching regarding a French horror film by the name of Martyrs. I have espoused the virtues of this film many times but I watched it again the other night and I have to say it is easily one of the best psychological horror films (albeit with gore) to come out in the last decade. I'd urge you to watch it and see if the ending doesn't leave you questioning for days. That said here is a list of six films that use religious ideas and make them frightening. With a wave of possession films hitting the market of late (and The Last Exorcism soon to join them) it would seem that religious concepts are very much back in vogue in the horror genre.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my thing. I'm a pretty tough cookie and I can watch just about anything, however, I could never finish watching "Awake," starring Hayden Christensen. I didn't even get any sleep that night, and I still haven't seen it to the end; probably won't. I've seen a ton of scary movies, and of course, many I didn't like, but "Awake" hit a nerve that I will probably never forget. :confused:

The last time I had my feathers ruffled like that was back in 1963 when the original "The Haunting" was released. I can handle watching the movie now, but back then, oh my did is scare me. Here's the tag line: "You may not believe in ghosts but you cannot deny terror." :woot:

As far as watching "Martyrs," I will have to think about it. It sounds like another one of those movies that will cause me to lose sleep. :blink:

Never did see "children of the Corn," and not sure I want to since it's about children. "The Exorcist" was a wild and crazy ride; same with "Rosemary's Baby." "The Prophecy" wasn't impressive to me, and haven't seen "Frailty" yet. Do I want to?

The followers of the horror genre, it seems to me, are the only ones willing to recognize the dark side of the spirit realm. With all due respect, the religious community does their best to deny the realm of evil, rather then face and overcome it without fear, and with faith in God's power. As an example, hopefully without sounding like I'm preaching, I never want to appear as a know-it-all, we are told in the Bible to "resist the devil and he will flee," not rebuke like so many people teach and believe. To rebuke is to give a sharp reprimand, which is something only God has the authority to do to our adversary. :ouroborous:

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Guest Sidewinder

I like a lot of movies using religious motives (even End of Days) but I have to admit that I haven't seen every movie on that list. But at least a few.

Others then Darlene I really liked The Prophecy (a.k.a. God's Army in Europe). I love that movie even though Gregory Widen cloned a lot of motives and themes he already used in Highlander. Christopher Walken, Virginia Madsen and Elias Koteas are great in it and Viggo Mortensen is a great Lucifer. "For while heaven may be closed I am always open, even on Christmas."

Sadly none of the sequels came close to the originals qualities. But part two and three still had Walkens archangel Gabriel and parts four and five the great sinister locations of Romania. And Tony Todd and John Light gave cool performances there.

Catherine: God…

Lucifer: God? God is love. I don’t love you.

Wow! I was surprised they listed Rosemary’s Baby. I remember that when I was a fairly young. A good choice really.

The Exorcist is a given. I saw that at a drive-in theater. You can take a girl to a scary movie and they may sit a little closer. Take one to The Exorcist and and be prepared to go home and the sooner the better.

Hmmm. I just realized my car back then had a bench seat. Drive-in theaters and cars with bench seats. How does the younger generation manage.

"Rosemary's Baby" is a great film, I have seen it many times and enjoy it every time I watch it. I wanted to make a mention of "Stigmata" with Patricia Arquette which isn't particularly scary but it deals with an interesting premise which focusses on the idea that God's presence mighty not necessarily be a pleasant experience and I need to give a nod to "The Amityville Horror". I know the latter isn't essentially a film with religious motifs it does have one very memorable scene for me in which the priest is driven from the house after experiencing a surprise attack by a horde of flies and the famous 'GET OUT' voice booming out of nowhere. Now that was a scene that scared me half to death when I was a kid.

Eth

josew.gif

Wow Mark, I came back to this thread specifically to post something about "Stigmata," and poof, there it is already. :notworthy: Awesome movie, and I have the book, which I recommend as well as the movie. Really good one.

Has anyone mentioned The Ring (Ringu)? Yikes, that sure scared me.

I had recorded an older movie and can't remember the name of it. It's about an evil that has been buried and a warrior to watch over the crypt that gets opened up, dah. If I remember correctly, it was a short title like, "The XXX." Been trying to find it because it did have religious subject matter. A lot like The Mummy, but also a lot darker and scarier. Oh someone please remember the name of this movie. I can't even remember who was in it, but am determined to find it somewhere. :helpme:

I FOUND IT, YEE HA. IT'S "THE KEEP." Had to come back and post the trailer.

Here's what it's about, and this will not ruin it, trust me.

Nazis guard a citadel that harbors a dangerous force that starts wreaking havoc and death upon them, forcing an uneasy alliance with a Jewish professional who can stop it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhvFTR8g8mg&feature=related

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Nut, you do not want to see Fraility, Im the Queen of Spooky and it disturbed me beyond belief, i couldn't sleep after that and only two movies have done that to me, Fraility and The Blair Witch Project, now i know y'all might be saying what??? Blair Witch but yes even i had trouble sleeping after that. LOL Blair Witch hands down one of the best little horror movies to come along in a long time, to me it brought back everything i love about horror, old school horror, urban legends, its not what you see that scares you to death but what you hear and imagine. :)

Mark, did you know that under oath the priest does say that yes he did hear someone say while he was in the house Get Out. and the youngest of the Lutz boys still to this day says that yes he did experience things in the house and what they went through was real. :)

Laura :) XXX

I get a bit lost with the whole story of that house to be honest Laura. I have seen a number of documentaries that tell the story and all seem to have slightly varying accounts of who told what and when and who later retracted what and when. As far as I can recall, one suggested that the Lutz's had been encourage to sex up their account of the hauntings by the book publisher. I know that those who moved into the house afterwards denied that there was any damage to the property as had been suggested, the secret 'red room' turned out to be a closet, they spoke about a bar called 'The Witches Brew' at which George Lutz used to drink but did not exist at the time of the Lutz's living there and so on. On the other hand there are people who will corroborate events like the Priest you mentioned. It's a fascinating case and I can never make my mind up at all. I tend to subscribe to the 'grain of truth' theory with a lot of tinsel and baubles added for extra effect.

Eth

josew.gif

No Spook, I haven't seen Frailty, and will rent it next time I'm out. I'm not into a lot of blood and guts though, but I love suspense, intrigue, edge of your seat stuff, and especially anything spiritual. Some get it close to right where some are so far off in left field. Kind of like The Lone Gunmen watching movies to see how technically correct they are. LOL

Didn't enjoy the Blair Witch, and didn't even see it to the end. I just couldn't get into that kind of production. Oh well.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

Another film worth adding to the religious-horror list is "Beyond The Door", it was made to cash in on "The Exorcist" craze at the time and you can see from the trailer that it mirrors some scenes from that movie most notably the head-turn. That said it's not a bad little film and it does have some genuinely creepy moments of its own. If you see it on the listings it's well worth checking out.

Eth

josew.gif